Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted Image

Time to have some dirty diesel fun [:p]

Done a swap for a couple of days with a GP. He wants to have fun in my car and I want to have fun in his, so we thought we'd swap. Why not!

Will I be having fun on the way home tonight?!

·
Registered
829 Posts
Is that their actual car? Looks like a 520d. In which case I'd say... no! Unless you can call playing with iDrive fun...

·
Registered
857 Posts
nice one, but whats a GP?

me personally id be nervous about the R32 lol

my mate had one of those bmw's for a few days from the company he worked for, it was quick and picked up fairly well, had lots of toys too

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
WOW, Does it have 14" rims like the picture too.....

Only derv worth getting is a 530/535, those 520d's are shamefull

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Only derv worth getting is a 530/535, those 520d's are shamefull
I think you'll be surprised how quick the 520D's are! Not bad handling cars either in sport guise...

Not a patch on a 530d or 535d of course but not bad all the same.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
So what is it then EJO?

The 520d isnt that nippy due to the size / weight of the car but with a remap they are alright. The 3 and 3.5 diesels really shift! Id love to have a play in a remapped 3.5, they go like stink as it is!

Very nice cars though, tons of road presence but they are nicer with the bigger wheels, even 20" wheels can look tiny of them due to how much the rear end overhangs.

There is no way id "lend" my car to somebody for a few days...no matter what car it was.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Did he stick his finger up your arxe as well, or did the 520 swap for an R32 constitute enough of a shafting for you!? 

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's a 55 plate 530d. The car pictured is off google, not the actual car.

Drove it home tonight, lovely car, lots of torque, not quite as fast as the R, doent quite push you into your seat as much but the ride was absolutely heavinly, and quite surprisingly, the engine note nice too. Didnt really sound like a diesel to be honest and you would not know it was inside.

Like the layout, the driving position and can see why people go for beemers. Have yet to try it out proper though.

Best thing about the car by far though is the head up display! That is absolutely awesome, haven't seen it in the day, but at night, all I can say is wow!!! Also the way the lights turn as you do, although I noticed this to start with, didnt notice so much after.

As for swapping my car. He's been into cars for a while now and races a lot in his spare time, or at least used to and was an amatuer rally driver, so not too concerned. He's also my boss and GP = Doctor, plus I have his car which is around 30k!

He wanted a go in mine, I wanted a go in his, so he said, hey, let's swap for a couple of days.

As for insurance, rang up, I paid for him to be insured on mine through my insurance company and he's paid for me on his.

Real reason is dad's in hospital and it saves me paying ?5-10 each day for parking, naughty I know, but his car is registered with the hospital and can park in the doctors / staff area for free. Was asking if there was any way I can do it and this is what he came up with.

To be honest, he's got more to be worried about, but we also do a little business type stuff between us, so there is mutual trust.

·
Registered
442 Posts
W36 EJO wrote

To be honest, he's got more to be worried about, but we also do a little business type stuff between us, so there is mutual trust.
'Business' with the GP eh!!!

Does any of this 'Business' involve... perscriptions???!!! [;)][;)][:S]

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
On a side note, you've said in a couple of posts that your dad is in hospital. Is he OK?
Not too sure, don't think it's life threatening. Don't want to go into to much detail. He's alive though!

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Not a bad swap for a bit of fun, not sure I would be happy with someone else driving my car though
I think you'll be surprised how quick the 520D's are!? Not bad handling cars either in sport guise...Not a patch on a 530d or 535d of course but not bad all the same.
I certainly was, I agree. Same with any BM though, you hear people say a 318i or 320D is pointless, and yet a Audi A4 2.0 or 1.9TDI is ok. For some reason if you buy a BM it has to be the top level engines, the 'normal' ones aren't acceptable??The 530D is a very good car, my problem with it is how wofeully ugly it is compared to the old E39 530 Sport... in Sport guise its not bad but SE trim, Yuck...

1 - 20 of 40 Posts