Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A project of mine may sound like this.

A MK4 fitted with all the electronics from a MK5.

I know it is a LOT of work and not an easy job, but it should work.

The trouble areas should be the newer climatronic controls, steering column ring and with some engine sensors (not sure of it).

I dont want a MK5, nor a MK6 because I dont like them.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mk IV engine. 1.9TDI

I am scouting for differences between the two.

Why I want to do this ?

Because from all the Golfs I had, this one made me happy. Plenty of time to work on it.

ajb100, you are right. Almost no gain from this. But it will be easier to modify the newer electronics to suit my needs, rather than constructing from bits and bobs.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
TBh, you need to think about clocks, all the newer control systems....ABS, ESP, whatever crap they come with these days.

I can see you forever changing plugs left right and centre to get it to work with the mk4 chassis.
Yes Chris. I will buy the whole electrical wiring from a damaged mk 5. All the things I`m planning to buy are far cheaper than the older ones.

ESP uses the same pump, brake booster, slave cylinder, but newer controllers.

The plugs will be in most of the cases unchanged, because they are universal, not proprietary to VW.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Hi

I have a whole wiring loom from a mk5, and I can tell you now there are a lot of wires.

It would be a massive job and what are you hoping to achieve?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Eddie-NL,

I`m expecting for a time consuming job so no worries here.

I want to upgrade the mk 4 wiring to a pure CAN bus one, to have more flexibility with the mods.

It is far more easy and future proof, rather than making new circuits for each part that the newer Golfs have.

And I dont fancy buying a newer Golf.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Good on you, you might as well fit a later engine, maybe to begin with get a 1.9 lump from MK5 so you have the correct ECU to talk to the can gateway of the MK5

need to get some wiring diagrams to see what physical hardware such as speed sensor etc work.

·
Super Moderator
50,244 Posts
Go for it,there's no reason why you couldn't put all the electrics from a mk.6 Golf into a mk.1 Golf,so mk.5 into mk.4 should be a walk in the park.As long as you've got the donor car there all the time,it shouldn't be too difficult and wouldn't involve making sure component X is compatible with component Y.

Chris.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Both 1.9TDI engines have crankshaft speed sensor.

Apart from some aesthetics changes, there are no differences.

Also, I can keep several parts of my actual wiring, but must have them sorted out.

LHD on a RHD wiring might not be possible due to different wire lengths.

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Wasn't putting it down by the way, just can't see why or what the issue is with mk4 but I don't know if there's much mod wise you can fit to a mk5

The wiring looms are huge, I'm fitting one from a tt to my mk1 golf so i can run the 1.8t easier

1 - 15 of 15 Posts