Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a mk4 1.8T and was thinking of either lowering it or keeping it standard. can anyone advise on best suspension ?

Also prices for top mounts and bearing.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
IMO the best suspension set up is the Koni fully adjustable ride height kit.   You won't get much change out of £700 but then you get what you pay for. It'll drop your car about 40mm and give excellent ride quality and road holding ability.  Worth every penny.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i don't think i will be stretching to £700 for my suspension. I would go upto around 400 probably so can anyone recommend a good kit.

H&R

Jamex,

Eibach

FK

Standard suspension etc etc.

if you could give me your opinions on all types of kit you maybe running etc with comfort of ride etc.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I have the Eibach Pro-street ride hieght coilover kit, and my god i can absolutley recommend it! i think its fairly cheap if you shop around. I was lucky enough to pick a 2nd hand kit off a mate for under 200

I have it set up about 50mm, on standard rims for now. Lots to go! The suspension is a little firm, so you know you have coilys, althought not over firm, for example i took my mum and dad out in it without them knowing it was on and they didnt even notice/complain about the ride quality.

The Eibach anti-roll bars make it so much better too, unfortunatley that will push the cost up. Its worth doing though, if you are keeping the car for a while, and it sounds obvious but you will always feel the benefits everytime you drive it. Im never gonna get bored of my coilys. [:D]

joN

·
Registered
857 Posts
Hi mate a fair few people on here have the Jamex kit now including me and so far its seems all good, especially for the price [Y]

It was recommended to me over FK's

Heres a pic of mine on them

Posted Image

·
Registered
874 Posts
I'd go for the Eibach kit (springs and dampers, not coilovers).

You should be able to get it for around your budget and it'll give you the best compromise of ride comfort and handling. It drops it about 30mm so it looks good (but not as good as coilovers).

I've got Eibachs with Bilstein B4's and the ride is still pretty good. I reckon if I was on standard wheels instead of the low profile 18's it would be as comfortable as standard but with a lot less roll.

If you want some pics I'll stick some up when I'm at home.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah pics would be fantastic. My problem is my car is a 4 door which doesn't look as good as the 3 door  IMO

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Depends what you're after really, is it that you really want it a bit lower, or do you want it to handle better?

If you want it lower go for springs&dampers/coilovers, if you want a bit of a more direct ride buy some anti-roll-bars. If you're feeling flush, do the whole lot!

I've got the same as Steve, Eibach springs and Eibach Pro Dampers and they are brilliant. They dont cut the roll as much as i want so im also getting a rear-arb, but, the ride quality is much much better (it has firmed up quite a bit since fitting a few weeks ago tho) and so much more controlled... really sorts out what was a horrible standard setup.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Looks good lowered but how does it affect the ride quality, I will soon be in my 40th year[:(] and am not so keen on the hard ride that alot of lowered suspension set ups give.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I have a mk4 1.8T and was thinking of either lowering it or keeping it standard.
Would you not consider the Koni sport kit, as I thought you were very happy with it on your Lupo? You'd also know exactly what to expect with regards to ride comfort/handling etc.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
don't have a lupo. scotty let me use his account just now as mines seems to be not working. To lazy to register again.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
it seems the eibach kit is favoured by some on here.

does anyone have pics of cars lowere don 17's. not really fussed on 18's sometimes

1 - 18 of 18 Posts