Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got a 1.9 TDi Bora 2001 (Y) Plate

I want to lower/stiffen up the suspension a bit.

Could I Fit MkIv GTi GolF Suspension + H&R Springs? And Would i Benefit from having GTi shocks over stock bora ones?

Would also be fitting 17" alloys at later stage. Dont want to go really low. Maybe Half Inch gap between tyre and arch.

Thanks

·
Pro tinkerer
5,647 Posts
If you aren't gonna be changing the height, then just get a good shocks and springs package as it will be a better ride than coilovers. I have been lowering my car today, but I only managed to get the rear done due to a broken locking nut key [:mad:]. I have Eibach 50mm springs, and Eibach shocks that I have removed from my Golf. I will stick another photo up for you tomorrow with the front done aswell, but for a referance have a look at the differance of the rear arch gaps.

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm. Thats the ride height i would want(rear)

Just looking at different alloys and i think i like 16's...

With this car i want it to be stock looking to others, yet eye pleasing to me and other "car nuts"

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any more input guys? Been mulling this over and over.... I like the look of RS4 reps in 17"... What height would my car would be with those and GTi shocks and -35mm gti springs?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So car sits level or close to being level. I like.

So thats 50mm lower than stock bora.

If golf gti is lower by 20mm than bora, then my car should sit like this with 30mm gti shocks and springs?

·
Pro tinkerer
5,647 Posts
The back sits ever so slightly higher, but not as much as when it's standard.

My car is the sport model so it too is lower than the lower speced models, but the last owner had new rear shocks and springs fitted and didn't get the sport shocks and springs which is why it was so high at the back.

No mate if you get GTI shocks and 30mm lowering springs it will only sit 30mm lower than standard.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for pics bigJim. Car looks great!

Just picked up some GTi montreals 2 (I think ) for £100.

I think I will get myself some coilies, but wouldnt I have to get different anti roll bar to avoid driveshaft issues?

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Thanks for pics bigJim. Car looks great!

Just picked up some GTi montreals 2 (I think ) for £100.

I think I will get myself some coilies, but wouldnt I have to get different anti roll bar to avoid driveshaft issues?
Depends how low you go. 50mm or less and you'll be alright. Anything more and you might have to consider changing it but don't worry about that now.

JOM coils can be had at www.dpmperformance.com - I think that's the cheapest place

·
Tim Sr
13,503 Posts
Chances are no. The different engines have different ARBs. My PD130 could run lower than my GTI could, without hitting the arb. When we pulled the suspension off my PD and stuck it on the GTI, it hit the ARB the moment we took it off the jack.

I have a bud who's on here who has a 60mm slam on a TDI110 and no issues at all!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts