Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the process of getting rid of my Golf and getting a 'sensible' supermini (1.2 or 1.4) as I dont really drive that much these days (mainly on weekends). Being London, I want something cheap to insure as well. The wife to be is learning to drive as well so will need something small hence the decision of supermini.

So far I looked into the following:

Polo - The one before the new ones (ala GTI) but a 1.4 16V 100bhp. Only thing putting me off is the Group 10 insurance and they are are not cheap with good examples coming in at about 6-7K and thats for an X Reg.

Seat Ibiza - new shape 1.2 SX 12V(65 bhp) for ?8300 brand new with Climate control and Alloys. Group 3 insurance. MOB, mate might need your input into this one! Did u have the 1.2?

Nissan Micra - Dont laugh all at once but we went to look at this the other day and specs wise u get a lot for the money. Currently ?8500 for a SE 1.2 16V which on paper is faster than the Ibiza and more economical. Has Aircon/Sunroof/Electrics/Keyless Ignition and Free Insurance thrown in. Interior is better than old one but still very Japanese (i.e. plasticky) Group 2 insurance though!

Others Im giving some thought on is the Fabia but not sure if its getting on now. Not into Corsas and the Yaris too expensive for what it is. New Polo im not a big fan on due to the shape and its too expensive. Think our budget is around the 8K mark.

Anyone with experience of any of these or any other newish superminis?

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
what about a 1.4 16v Polo, but older than an X reg [?].

or a Lupo 1.4 16V. great little cars with plenty of power.

e.g. 2001 VOLKSWAGEN Lupo 1.4 Sport

3 Doors, Manual, Hatchback, Petrol, 34,000 miles, Metallic Jazz Blue. Full Volkswagen service history, alloy wheels, central locking, electric windows/mirrors, cd, stereo, power steering, rear headrests, twin airbags ?4,795.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Was thinking of older polos but prefer the newer shapes. Lupo we really really love but not sure if the practicalities (or lack of it) we could live with as we still need to have the space in the back to give friends/familiy lifts and what boot space? Otherwise you're right the Lupo 1.4 Sport would have been near the top of out list.

new Ibiza appeals as it based on the new Polo platform as well so handles better. I've driven the older polos and newer polos and I think the newer ones handle a lot better and has a better ride. If it wasnt for my dislike for the shape.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Ray, the 1.2 3 cylinder lump in the Ibiza is brilliant. Mine was a 1.2S with aircon but no alloys

Ultimately it is fairly slow, but it doesn't feel slow - its a very revvy motor and makes a great (weird) noise. Like a cross between a quieter Nascar and a sewing machine................

I loved my Ibiza, I had it for over a year, that shows how hightly I rated it [:D]

HTH

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you! was waiting for your response and who better to ask! Im thinking of going for the Ibiza SX 1.2 as it has climate and the alloys thrown in for ?8300 at the moment. Its basically a promo they are doing that means if you buy S you get the SX spec until the end of this year. May go and test drive one and the Micra this weekend. BTW in you honest opinion, whats the difference in quality between the Skoda Fabia and Seat Ibiza interior?

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Honda Civic, I dont like the interior much but the build quaility is excellent residuals are very good and the dealer network, and reliabilty is something VW should be aspiring too.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Quote: posted by RayBanUK on 14/09/2004 12:44:48

BTW in you honest opinion, whats the difference in quality between the Skoda Fabia and Seat Ibiza interior?

Seat is a bit sportier looking inside, but has harder plastics that feel a bit flimsy compared to the Fabia interior

Still better than Jap/French stuff though!

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
really? I would have thought the Fabia would have been worse.

AndyMac, dont really need that size of car but I never thought of the Civic, not a fan of the shape esp in 5 door form.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well at the moment its Ibiza 1.2SX vs Micra 1.2SE both around the same price. Micra is niftier 16V (compared to 12V) and better economy. Went to Nissan on Sunday and had a look at it and there are things I like about it but not sure whether I would part my money for one. Reserve my judgement until I have driven one.

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
Like u said, the Polo's insurance group is too high - My friend had a 1.6glx, and the insurance cost him more than his current Leon 1.6!!

Plus they are getting old now..

Had a good look (although didnt drive) at the Micra, and it's very nice all round. You get alot of car for the money, and you can't complain with the spec/freebies of the 1.2se. Free insurance is brilliant too!!

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
If you tap the Ibiza plastics they are a bit hard and hollow feeling - the Fabia dash is plainer to look at but softer material

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Del, have to say Im not a big fan of the new shapes Im afraid. On the Lupo it looks cute, on the Polo it just looks fat (they are afterall bigger than the MKI Golf) I even prefer the older dashboard (i.e. same one in the Lupo).

Joey, my missus wanted the Lupo as well and we would have got it had it not been the fact that its got hardly any legroom in the back let alone luggage space.

Its also about the deal and what your get with it and also Insurance is almost no 1/2 factor.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Del, just checked it out and it does seem not a bad deal actually, but not sure if I can get used to the shape. Got to do a bit more research into it. The only good thing it really has going for it is its a VW so will be reliable (famous last words).

·
Registered
703 Posts
how about the new smart forfour... could keep it for a yr and sell it without too much loss... i dont know about insurance costs, but i am seriously thinking about replacing the bora for a well specced one... ideal for nipping around london...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts