Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although I?ve
had the hybrid turbo conversion for over a year, it has been in a state of change
for much of that time as I?ve experimented with higher flow injectors and
overcome boost leaks.<o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

After some work
I had carried out at APS recently, the car was returned to Superchips this week
for a definitive remap based on how the car is set up now. I have had this level of performance for some
time, but this is the best compromise it has ever been in terms of power
delivery, exhaust cleanliness and so on.
I had run a 220bhp map for some time on the standard injectors with an
almost totally clean exhaust, then 230bhp with the injectors on maximum output
which was unacceptably smoky to me. We
then put the high flow injectors back in, got more smoke and less power. It was time to throw in the towel and maximize
the standard injectors.<o:p></o:p>

I now have 226bhp
at 4467rpm and 313lb/ft (424NM) peak torque at 2861rpm with a good spread
across the useable diesel power band.<o:p></o:p>

Conditions have
been appalling this week but I can see I?m going to have fun when the freezing
fog clears.[:D]<o:p></o:p>

<o:p>
Posted Image
</o:p>

[8-|]

DETAILED DATA PDF CLICKY [8-|]

Posted Image
<o:p></o:p>

The modifications to the
PD150 engine relevant to the performance are;<o:p></o:p>

• Superchips custom remap (big thanks to Jamie,
    Dave, Scott and all at Superchips)<o:p></o:p>
  • Custom front mounted intercooler by Primary
    Designs (big thanks to Pat Barrett)<o:p></o:p>
  • Aluminium intercooler piping by Primary Designs<o:p></o:p>
  • Turbo-back exhaust by Primary Designs (no cat)
  • Turbo Dynamics Stage 2 hybrid turbocharger (thanks Mano & Craig)
  • Sachs performance organic clutch
  • Peloquin ATB differential

·
Registered
811 Posts
Thats pretty disappointing with all you've done tbh James... you can get similar figures from just a remap!

Have you not thought about using someone else to map your car?

[:)]

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
Some delicious looking pipework there, I see you're still running the breather into the system?? I'm deleting mine next year and having a catch tank when I plumb in my Allard pipework/EGR bypass... is this something you've considered??

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Some delicious looking pipework there, I see you're still running the breather into the system?? I'm deleting mine next year and having a catch tank when I plumb in my Allard pipework/EGR bypass... is this something you've considered??
Thanks. The job's in-hand (see my post here) . The baffled sump is fitted and the catch tank fabricated. It's being plumbed in within the next few days [:D]

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
Ah-haaa - waaaaay ahead of me [:D] I imagine the little trace of any smoke you might have left will be reduced even more to boot.... silly VW, do they know anything?

Yup, I'm not looking forward to the cleaning aspect when the manifold, intercooler etc. come off.. but at least the hot oily crap can't get back in once it's done! Might bring a few gallons of acetone back from France in Jan for the job.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Nice one J. The main thing is that you're happy with the performance. That is a nice torque curve, no nasty spikes there[:p]

Thats pretty disappointing with all you've done tbh James... you can get similar figures from just a remap! Have you not thought about using someone else to map your car?

[:)]
Ooooooh err! Yeah and you could've saved yourself a good few bob into the bargain[6]. That tuner of your's obviously doesn't know how to map a car[;)]

·
Registered
861 Posts
looking good james but im sure there is more torque available with that setup.

What are the advantages of the redirect pipe from breather ???

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Thanks Bob. More torque is available but it's about a compromise over turbo longevity, top end, smoke etc. and I leave that to the guys who have played with many settings on the car for me. I think the power curve is fantastic. I have other dyno results from months ago showing more torque, steeper introduction of torque and so on, but have a feeling this is the best yet.

It could also be that I would take the car to another dyno and it would show a more sensational figure. I can think of two recent threads where it has all kicked off about this.

Hopefully two other hybrid mates will be able to make the Superchips Open Day on 2 Feb so we can at last get some back-to-back data and driving comparisons. Micky who has virtually the same setup as me and what sounds like a similar map from ChippedUK/ChippedIre, and Anthony (Diesel4) whose car I think runs a Miguel map from Allard now.

The breather pipe as it stands directs oil from the top of the engine into the intake system where it contaminates the intercooler pipes and IC itself, the intake manifold, turbo etc and exhaust with oil residue. Fitting the catch tank redirects it back into the sump, which itself has been baffled to prevent surge on trackdays, where I have seen the oil warning light come on before [:S]

·
Registered
4,381 Posts

Thanks Bob. More torque is available but it's about a compromise over turbo longevity, top end, smoke etc. and I leave that to the guys who have played with many settings on the car for me. I think the power curve is fantastic. I have other dyno results from months ago showing more torque, steeper introduction of torque and so on, but have a feeling this is the best yet.

It could also be that I would take the car to another dyno and it would show a more sensational figure. I can think of two recent threads where it has all kicked off about this.

Hopefully two other hybrid mates will be able to make the Superchips Open Day on 2 Feb so we can at last get some back-to-back data and driving comparisons. Micky who has virtually the same setup as me and what sounds like a similar map from ChippedUK/ChippedIre, and Anthony (Diesel4) whose car I think runs a Miguel map from Allard now.

The breather pipe as it stands directs oil from the top of the engine into the intake system where it contaminates the intercooler pipes and IC itself, the intake manifold, turbo etc and exhaust with oil residue. Fitting the catch tank redirects it back into the sump, which itself has been baffled to prevent surge on trackdays, where I have seen the oil warning light come on before [:S]
James you'll have to put pictures up of the re directed breather pipe set up. I'm interested.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll be able to sort that in a couple of weeks. If you have VW Driver from a couple of months ago Neil Birkitt did an article about one being fitted to his 1.8T. I asked Ed to engineer this for the TDI - if you contact him at APS 01280 840491 he may be able to supply some pics.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Very nice curve, i like the way the hybrid turbo keeps the power above 4k.. , Glad to see its all finally sorted after all the niggly problems you had. Hopefully should be at the SC RR day.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
EXCELLET Results [Y]

I think I'll be going the hybrid route when I get the FR next year, once the 1st service is out the way & she's been run in for 10k I'll start tweeking her.

Moving nearer work would mean less miles & less miles means less ??? on fuel so I was thinking Cupra, which should map up quite nicely, but I dont think I could live without the torque tsunami you get with a derv motor.......(& the mpg)

·
Registered
95 Posts
James!!!!

thats really great!!!!

Nice and clean project.
Very nice "numbers".
Later on I will contact you... [;)]

cheers,

fLAVIO
(I am back to work tuesday. watch you mail)

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ah great to hear from you Flavio I see the Portuguese bush telegraph is working (eh Rui? [:D])

I look forward to hearing from you. Did you ever get that cam fitted?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Ah great to hear from you Flavio I see the Portuguese bush telegraph is working (eh Rui? [:D])

I look forward to hearing from you. Did you ever get that cam fitted?
Yes James, they're working just fine thank you! [:D]

Congrats once again for your excelent project! Keep up the good modding.

cheers

1 - 20 of 28 Posts