Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Firstly, a massive thank-you to Jamie Turvey and his team at Superchips HQ in Bucks.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

I arrived at 9:00am this morning at the very attractive premises of Superchips. I was pleasantly greeted and introduced to the team and given a run down of each team members role and Jamie explained how Superchip HQ operates.<o:p></o:p>

My car was driven into the internal workshop (it is like your front room, air conditioned, painted, well lit and spotlessly clean). Here the Bluefin hand held device was connected to my car (using the diagnostic port in the drivers footwell) and it read the standard programme on the ECU. Once this is complete the bluefin device is connected via its mini-usb port to a PC where the standard programme is downloaded. Superchips have a host of different modified programmes to suit the various ECU's that VW have fitted to the MKV.<o:p></o:p>

It is quickly determined which Superchip programme is suited to the cars ECU, that Superchip programme is then written to the bluefin hand held device through its mini-usb port. The hand held device stores both the standard and modified programme so you can swap between them as many times as you please. <o:p></o:p>

The bluefin hand held device is then re-connected to the vehicle so the Superchip bluefin programme can be uploaded to the vehicle. As soon as the bluefin hand held device is connected to the diagnostic port it powers into life. It then asks you to confirm that the ignition is turned off, you then press the 'Yes' button to confirm that. The bluefin hand held device then asks you to turn on the cars ignition (only so as the dash lights up, do not start the vehicle). Once 'Yes' is confirmed you enter a menu that asks if you wish to upload the bluefin programme. Again, s elect 'Yes' and approximately 3minutes later your car is 'bluefinned'. You then turn off the ignition and remove the bluefin hand held device. Simply restart the car, and drive away with healthy, and very noticeable performance increase.<o:p></o:p>

Jamie ushered me from the internal workshop round to their rolling road. The car was carefully driven in and strapped to the rollers. The rolling road computer flickers into life and the ceiling mounted projector illuminates the back wall so you can see the real time results of the rolling road session.<o:p></o:p>

We quickly reversed the car back to the standard programme and undertook two rolling road sessions to see how the car performs as standard. As with most MKV 2.0TDi's my car produced higher than the 140bhp claimed. My car is a 54 plate with 35,000 miles under its belt. It actually produced 156bhp @ 4255rpm and 336Nm @ 2453rpm as standard.<o:p></o:p>

The car was then quickly 'bluefinned' and two other rolling road sessions were undertaken. The improvements from installing the bluefin programme were obvious. The results were a pleasing 180bhp @ 4068rpm and 372Nm @ 2418rpm, with 26bhp max increase @ 4068rpm and with 51Nm max increase at 3300rpm.<o:p></o:p>

I then drove my car accompanied by Scott Phillips who conducted the rolling road sessions and was closely followed by Jamie in the Superchipped Ford Focus ST. Jamie follows behind to check the smoke levels. After a quick blast up and down the local dual carriageways it was determined that the smoke levels were well below those that are acceptable. <o:p></o:p>

A repeat of the above then took place where a new, tweaked programme (to add more fuel) was written to the bluefin hand held device. This revised programme was then uploaded to the car and another rolling road session was undertaken. Improvements were realised again, the figures now were 182bhp @ 4098rpm and 3742Nm @ 2337rpm, with 27bhp max increase @ 3678rpm and with 54Nm max increase at 3486rpm. Higher figures may be produced on a cooler day is it was in the mid 20's when the later rolling road sessions were undertaken.<o:p></o:p>

As with all car tuning, people get starry-eyed by headline figures. This is not to say that the Superchip bluefin headline results are not impressive. What is more important than a 'peaky' max figures is the area between the original graph and the new graph. This increase in area under the graph represents how different the car will feel on the move. The attached graph shows that area under the graph, which every user will notice when driving the car.

The test drive of the revised programme is extremely deceptive. Accelerating from a stand still results in a very linear power delivery akin to that of the standard car. What is different is the cars urgency to reach the horizon and its willingness to keep on pulling all the way to the redline. I am most impressed with 4th, 5th and 6th gears. Sitting at around 2250rpm in each gear and planting the accelerator is amazing. The car now gathers pace much more readily than before. Motorway overtaking becomes even easier, 5th or 6th gear overtakes at 80mph see 100mph achieved in a fraction of the time the standard car allows. As standard when the MKV Golf is driven hard it feels reigned in and restricted. With the Superchip bluefin installed it is as if the car becomes alive, and 'zings' with excitement at being allowed to produce the power and torque it is capable of.<o:p></o:p>

The advantages of bluefin are as follows: -

• The ability to upload a less aggressive fuel map depending on the smoke produced. The production version of the programme should not produce excessive smoke.
  • The ability to revert to standard as many times as possible
  • Totally untraceable at dealerships when reverted to standard (apart from the counter that tells how many times reprogramming has taken place. This is in no way a marker to dealerships as to the vehicle being modified as the ECU can be reprogrammed several times in the factory as well as at dealerships)
  • The above can all be done remotely from Superchips HQ as the end user can communicate with Superchips desiring a less aggressive programme if there are smoke issues. This is done via email and the attached programme is simply uploaded to the bluefin hand held device via the mini-usb port.<o:p></o:p>

If for any reason you loose your bluefin hand held device Superchips store your original programme and modified programme for ever! Thus allowing you the piece of mind of always being able to revert back to standard, or your modified map, quickly after the event of loosing your hand held device. Each hand held device, once programmed, is specific to your vehicle, so you should not be tempted to try it on another vehicle, it wont work!

Finally I must add (if its not already obvious from the above) that I am over the moon with the results produced and would highly recommend this product, and Superchips in general. The standard of customer service has to be experienced to be believed, nothing was too much trouble. Oh, and if for any reason VW did not honour a warranty claim, then the Superchips bluefin comes with a full 12month warranty (extendable) to cover these circumstances. From what I have seen and heard I do not expect to be claiming on this, or any warranty!

I hope that the above review may tempt you all to get queing, emailing and telephoning Jamie Turvey at Superchips to book your bluefin device. Release to the general public is expected to be the first week of July 2006. Jamies contact details are as follows: -

Jamie Turvey (Techinical Director), Superchips, Units 2-16 Homestall, Buckingham Business park, Buckingham. MK18 1XJ

Tel: 01280 816781 email: [email protected]

·
Registered
554 Posts
Superb review.

The fact that you can switch to and from the standard map is a useful application for servicing etc although majority of the time the car would always remain in 'fast' mode.

Looks like superchips are going to remap the 4th succesive car for me, things don't get much more interactive than this and their customer service is always excellent.

Yesterday I managed to convince myself to hang fire this time around on the remap, after your review ..........I'm booking in later today for next month, may as well have the car I want early on [:D]

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Do superchips pay for advertising on this forum... [;)]
LOL J! The review is very professional isn't it! When I posted details of the Bluefin trial offer I cleared it with Tabs first and I believe this is being addressed.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Hear what you are saying J, pretty clever marketing really, they recognise the 'power' of forums like this, offer good discounts and excellent aftersales which leads to great exposure following good reviews.

I was considering a change this time round (Revo) but what generally swings it for me is the warranty offered, on this occasion I like the idea of owning the new technology offered by Bluefin, may never actually use it except for servicing but its another 'toy' [:$]

I have had to remap before I intended as the offer ends 3rd July just wont exploit the full potential until I have done a few more miles - booked in for next Weds.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
LOL...yep but I am sure we are going to get a post now claiming it is genuine [:D]

It does sound like a really good product and I read the review Evo did on the Focus ST Bluefin adn they priased it as well. The 7 day money back is quite good but Revo offer 28.

I'm quite happy with my Revo code (no personal experience of S/Chips) on mine but I'm planning on chaning the car at the start of next year so I may be tempted to go with the blue fin then, who knows.

J.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I'll add to the above, I've already had bluefin on my FOcus and although Bluefin for the VW won't have all the features it is a very good product. I always removed the map before servicing and used the immobillisor, the customer service was second to none.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
LOL...yep but I am sure we are going to get a post now claiming it is genuine [:D]
Hehe I think you might - I am up at Superchips tomorrow to turn up the gas on the hybrid map; have just been in touch with Jamie Turvey and yer man the reviewer is a bona fide customer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would like to say it is a genuine review. I am officially the first uk-mkivs.net forum member (independant!!!) to be the the trialler and reviewer of the MK5 TDi bluefin prouct. I am in a profession where accuracy is paramount and any correspondence I produce must be 100% reliable. I will drop you a pm to explain....

Once again, it is a great product. My production of a thorough review was the least I could do for Superchips and Jamie Turvey considering the discount I received and the entire 're carpet' treatment provided.

As Nike would say.... "Just Do It"

·
Registered
9 Posts
I too have recently jumped onto the Bluefin bandwagon for my A3. To be honest with you, i was going to reserve my car for a Revo treatment as back then it was the only remap that allowed swtiching and i wanted it done after my 1st service (3000miles) but once i saw this deal i just couldn't say no as i would be re-mapping the car anyway and at 20% off with before and after rolling road session ? its an offer i just couldn't refuse.

I had the car booked in for the Monday just gone and on my drive up i was like Spin 150, debating whether i should actually still go ahead with it as even in standard guise the car is no slouch. On the other hand, i would always wonder "what if", I would probably remap it afterwards etcetc, eventually i was too weak, i couldn't resist so continued on my journey (120miles).

I arrive at the Superchips HQ and sitting in front was a gorgeous new A4 Avant SLine (later found out it belongs to Jamie) the bright orange ST, ice blue Scooby STi and a blue Focus RS (one off remap, the owner travelled 600 miles that day to the HQ from Inverness, he had a lot of toys in that car and under the hood). Jamie came to greet me and took me around the building introducing various staff and showing me the Bluefin itself and its usage and also the still in development software (which would be ready and shipped out soon).

My car was then dyno-ed and produced a respectable 155bhp and 343Nm in standard guise. I was then taught how to plug in the Bluefin, the standard map was then copied onto the handset and we took the Bluefin upstairs so it could be tranferred and stored onto their servers. The tech guys then combine the standard map with the remap and then transferred back into the Bluefin device. We then plugged the Bluefin back into the car and chose to have remap installed (takes about 4-5 mins on the older cars and is much quicker with the new cars like Jamie's A4). The car was then dyno-ed once again and this time produced 183bhp and 391Nm of torque. It may not seem to be a big increase but according to Dave (the guy that dyno-ed my car) its most likely due to the increase in ambient temperature now at 31c (or was it 35c i forgot) and also a high temperature of 45c on the car (not sure what he was on about) but this was down to the hot weather of the day (car read 32c). On a cooler day, the car can probably kick out another 3-4 bhp and probably some more torque but to be honest i wasn't really that disheartened as its not the top line figures that interest me its the drive :p .

The car was then taken on a drive to check if there was any increase in smoke but luckily all was good and it did not kick out any extra other than the norm.

Now the good bit, on my drive back home !!! At first due to traffic and the constant flow of cars on small rural roads i couldn't really tell much difference but once the roads opened up and traffic clearing i did give it some extra welly ! and boy could it move, 2nd gear was brutal and i definately was not ready for such power. The gears 4,5 and 6th and especially 6th seemed more lively and power always seemed to be on tap if needed through a larger rev range. The car still had a very linear power delivary which I was worried that it might lose but on normal driving, it's still there just that little extra bit quicker, overtaking is even more effortless and just seemed more flexible. I was definately surprised at the remap and how much "extra" it gives to the standard car, makes the car more willing and eager to push, just a shame it's a license loser if your not careful !

So to the people that are sitting on the fences ( i was one of them), if you do have the money to spend on a remap then i would advice you to get it, you will not be dissapointed. :)

The offer, as far as i know is still on until Bluefin comes out and ready to go live (i think he mentioned 15th July ?) but call Jamie on 01280 816 781 if your interested or any queries. Top bloke !

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had mine done on the 28th and have since covered over 1000 miles. What a difference! Although I only got 182bhp and 371Nm on the rolling road, this has made a very pleasant improvement to every day driving. The car was no slouch before (148 bhp before Bluefin), but overtaking has now become much more effortless and as a consequence I find that my 100 mile per day A / B road commute is much safer and more enjoyable [;)] ! Fuel economy is probably slightly worse, but this is as expected as I seem to race more people now!! As mentioned above, top quality service from the superchips team at Buckingham, and I would definately recommend there services to anyone else toying with the idea of tuning.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Great review - really useful
Has anyone had a re-map on their DSG vehicle?
Be interested in hearing how you are getting on with it...
I been running my TDI 140 DSG for 14 months now with SC. So far i have had no problem with it at all, and indeed it does make the car alot more lively compare to stock.

I was using revo on my mk4, but at the time i got my mk5, revo didn?t have anything for it and i heard a number of good things said about SC so i went with them. Indeed i have had very good customer service by them every time visited.

The car had just 1k on the clock when it went in. It was originally coded using their laptop via the serial port. At the time mine was one of the first DSG they had for the model, so they had to make a few adjustments and achieved 170bhp @ 3995rpm, 271lb/ft @ 2206.

Although at the time the outcome wasn?t as good as they hoping to get but was happy with it. As it was getting late in the afternoon, it would need more time for them to play with the codes, instead they offered me to go back later when my car have done some more miles to see what can be done.

I went back to them a few months ago when my car done just over 16k. After a few dyno runs and trying out some other codes, the final outcome was 176bhp @ 3907rpm, 279lb/ft @ 2158. We did have higher figures but might upset some ?green people?, so decided to turn it down a touch.

During that visit, I was also switched over to bluefin for the map. It went onto the car without any problem and it was very straight forward with very clear instruction on the device on what to do.

My bluefin code was updated not too long ago to add checksum onto the codes so that it wil be stealer?s computer friendly.

There isn?t much difference between using old fashion serial mapping via laptop and using bluefin. The code behind is the same and you shouldn?t grain or lose any power. What you do gain is the ability to turn remap on and off, update new codes at your house via the internet plus a few other things. Bluefin doesn?t just switch maps on or off, the unit itself kept a complete copy of your original and remapped ECU for your car. So when you want remap off, it will restore your original ECU code back to standard.

When you drive around with your org codes for a few days then put bluefin back on, you will really feels the different!!

My car have since had service so it might be able to take some adjustment without worry the ?Green people? too much.

I think you wont? be disappointed with the results. There will be a forum event taking place at Superchip HQ at Buckingham on 2nd and 3rd Feb. I suggest if you have time, do pop over to see. I will be over there on Friday and may be sat too. Can give you a ride on the day if you want to get a feel whats it like. More detail see http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/1/788434/ShowThread.aspx

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Nice one Aric.

I can vouch for this Mk5's performance - with the remap and DSG with paddles - its one stunning performer!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts