Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone watching the sunseeker rally this weekend?

Will be sad to finally see the Metro 6R4'S go [negative]

·
No longer a Dubber
8,211 Posts
Sad indeed. The first time I saw one was Tony Pond driving on the 1985 Lindifarne rally. Also had Malcolm Wilson in the RS200's first event! Amazing sound from the 6R4, but pretty much neutered over the years. Pond in the full works car, in the forest, flat out, the V6 bellowing away..... Great memories. They'll still be in historic stuff, surely? And Goodwood FOS!

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To be honest, that is a few years before my time....

Well there will certainly be a fleet of them comes to the sunseeker as show cars im sure, and FOS is a definate! But as far as I was aware, it was the last time they would be competing.

This was them on show at somerly last year or year before:

Posted Image

·
Super Moderator
50,230 Posts
That's sad,the group B cars were the best ever test of driver skill but waaaaaay too powerful for the rally courses.

Last time I saw 6R4s was few years ago while working inside Brooklands,a couple of them were drag racing up the old runway and the sound of these two bouncing off the rev limiters was pure music[8].It doesn't matter how important the job is or when it has to go out,but you can't not go and stare goggle eyed at sometghing as good as this.

Don't hear much about the 8R4s now,in fact you never did as I think they only ever made two of them but saw one off them at the Brighton speed trials a few years back and it was one of the most memorable cars there that day.

Chris.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Ive driven a 6R4, we use to race one about 4 yrs ago, lovely car, i can remember when austin/rover were selling them for 11k each now they are 50k for a knacker, they will be sorely missed, one of the fastest cars ive ever driven and likely to drive

·
No longer a Dubber
8,211 Posts
In fact, the only time I've heard an 8R4, my thoughts were along the line of "Why?". Not a nice sound.

·
Super Moderator
50,230 Posts
In fact, the only time I've heard an 8R4, my thoughts were along the line of "Why?". Not a nice sound.
It was sort of a natural evoloution as the V6 was just a cut down Rover V8,but you're right about the sound as the V6 had that shatteringly instant throttle response that no V8 could ever have.Apart from Steve Greens legendary drag racing mark 1 Cortina of course[In-love].

Chris,

·
No longer a Dubber
8,211 Posts
The development car was just a Rover V8 with two cylinders removed, but the V64V engine was a different beasty. And at 410bhp in works spec, more powerful than the 8R4 linked to above. I'd guess that the 8 was for people that couldn't afford the genuine engine with its running costs.

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The Photos begin...

Taken at the ceremonial start down Poole Quay last night, stage 1 this morning and all being well, stage 8 this afternoon.

I was gutted last year when the start was removed from Bournemouth Beach front as a proper stage, however there were a few accidents and a large amount of damage done to the front area in the year before.

6R4 Goodness

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

More pics of other cars to come later, only stopped home to get a bit of lunch before heading off to stage 8.

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Must admit, its good to see a few different cars rather than just the boring scooby's and evo's over and over again.

The rally really isnt the same without the cossy powered 306 tearing both of your eardrums apart though.

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hmm, I have my doubts about the retirement of the 6R4, cant find info on it anywhere....

I know the drivers of this one and another are retiring and taking theirs away, but there must be another one or two still competing? Even if never in the sunseeker again. Think I believed the sensationalist trap that SEVERAL papers wrote about the 6R4 in the last two weeks.

On a note with the roving reporter.... the lovely great brittish weather belted the rain down during the day, so I had to resort to borrowing a different pushbike (slick tyres on mine meant It wouldnt go in a straight line).

Sun came out amazingly for stage 8 though

Not many cars seemed to come through this time, and there was a huge gap between them (instead of the closer times as I expected from previous experience.)

My camera is in a VERY sorry state now, a Subaru went to corner and turned faaaar too early, flipping the back end the other way and sending a hail of large rocks my way, before going through a water filled ditch and giving me a good shower. Have a cut on my face and was soaked. My quick reflexes saved the camera lens and my body took the stones....however the splash covered the casing leaving it all gritty. Need to clean it asap before it all jams up.

Will load pics up in a bit, need a shower first.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts