Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd see if a different subject gets more views...[;)]

While driving home on Friday my sump developed a leak... reckon it needs a helicoil?

Posted Image

This was the result of the car bottoming out and the sump getting overfriendly with a cats eye!

Things I learned from this..

1. Do not overtake on the 3057 north of Romsey

2. Emptying the contents of the sump over the turbo and exhaust creates ALOT of smoke!

3. Spraying the cars you have just overtaken with oil and smoke does not make them your friends

4. Spraying the rear wheels with oil at 80mph will cause the draw string on your butt hole to spontaneously pull tight!

Oh well...

Car does smell a bit of oil now too...

Posted Image

All fixed now though, 105 quid for new sump + oil and filter.

Scott

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Bit of filler will fix that.......[;)] http://www.parasolinc.com/fillers.asp

Hope you got the ignition before the oil pressure dropped, might've given the bearings a 'rub'. Also thinking you're very lucky the oil didn't catch fire - I've seen the results of a split hose on a 205 rally car - not much left even with multiple extinguishers and that didn't have a turbo!

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah no probem, bit of newspaper to pack it out should be fine!

I know it was lucky not to have gone up in flames, exhaust brakes etc were very hot too!

Scott

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
I thought mine was bad

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This happened after going over a hump back bridge at speed on standard
suspension, not smoke, though was able to drive a good 15 miles with a
'find my way home trail' before the STOP message appeared.

I now have a Diesel Geek ali sump guard to ensure that the above doesn't happen again [:)]

Posted Image

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It did make a small bang....[;)]

How much was the Sump guard? Sounds like a plan...

No chance of driving mine home, got it stopped in a few hundred yards called the RAC ( Who were rubbish and took over 2 hours again... )

Scott

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Are they all alloy sumps? I remember my Mk1 was dinged and banged all over - that was steel and just took the impacts and bent rather than breaking altogether.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's not that low... stopped at a petrol station last night filling up and saw smoke curling up round the bonnet gaps, it's not still leaking but I guess it will tae time to burn all the oil off... got me a few funny looks though!

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Probably smell a bit for a while too, that nice hot oil smell.

As a side note I'm concidering black wheels too, damn Pagid Fast Road Pads stop well and bite quickly but boy do they throw off dust compared to EBC Greenstuff.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
That is freaky, looks like he has some Mikey Mouse ears on with his
face turned to his left hand side, with his hands on his waist, no ?

Maybe I could make a mint on eBay, like they did with the bit of toast ?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts