Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well at last a bit of sun!, i had the weekend end off and what nicer way to enjoy than in the garden working on the car.

POST UP YOUR PICS OF FELLOW DARKSIDERS!

i decided it was time to give my wheels the refurb they meant to have when i bought them 6 months ago!

paint is cobolt grey, a pug colour i beleive, and when the sun catches it right gives off a lovely metalick shine.

all in all it cost me about ?45

4x tins of cobolt, 2x large tins of lac

1x cleaning cloth

and 6hours of my time.

hope you like the results, as much as i do, seeming as ive never really done much spraying i think ive done a very good job. lol

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Registered
795 Posts
Looks like you did a great job. Could you do some kind of guide as i'm tempted to follow in your footsteps with my wheels and i'm it would be useful to other members.

Looks the business anyway

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the kind coments, i did take so pics with my phone but the usb cable is playing up at the moment.

once i get a new one i will put it all together in a step by step form.

the key is in the prep, make sure the wheel is well flatted back and clean from dust and such like.

also a nice hot day keeps the paint warm in the can and drys quicker when applied.

if you give it a go and get stuck id be more than happy to explain things.

" may the force be with you "

·
Registered
857 Posts
that looks mint! puts a really nice twist on the RS6's im really into dark wheels at the mo' is a nice break from the norm, just had some black RS4's on mine and i love them.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cheers mate, post up some pics, as id been keen to see what the rs4s look like when joined the dark side! lol

did you spray them yourself?, as id imagine them being a bit of a bugger to prep with all those spokes! lol, thats only reason why i attempted mine as they were nice and simple to prep

·
Registered
857 Posts
heres mine, i brought them black, am far too lazy to try what you did lol. Really like the effect its given yours, always wondered what RS6's would be like dark and its [Y]

Posted Image

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
heres mine, i brought them black, am far too lazy to try what you did lol. Really like the effect its given yours, always wondered what RS6's would be like dark and its [Y]

Posted Image
they look sweet mate!

im liking the theme you have going on blending the black and silver, maybe the bumpstrips painted the same finish as the wheels would tie in?

and the us spec lights would suite that a treat also, and they can be found on ebay for only ?60 odd quid delivered, you would sell your r/cc/r's no worries to cover the cost.

·
Registered
39 Posts
mine need refurbing and i had thought about painting them darker but not sure whether it would be to much on a black car.... what do you think??

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
mine need refurbing and i had thought about painting them darker but not sure whether it would be to much on a black car.... what do you think??
i recon dark cars suite wheels more charcoal in colour (check out pats w reg gti)

as dark black like you say might be to much, but id deffo give em a coat, you have nowt to loose if refurbing anyways.

let us know how you get on mate.

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
That looks the dogs bits ! [:O] [:D] Lovin that. Love the rear shot too.. that is a fat ass !! Looks great. What tyres are they ? Kumho Ecsta but they look almost like track day tyres ?

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Look like the Ecsta MX to me. I wanted them when I bought 2 new tyres for my 18's, then realised the price! Were double what I was paying for mine. They do look damn nice though.

Posted Image

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Look like the Ecsta MX to me. I wanted them when I bought 2 new tyres for my 18's, then realised the price! Were double what I was paying for mine. They do look damn nice though.

Posted Image
your spot on! i bought the wheels /tyres and postage for ?550 from a fellow member on here a while back, i thinks i got a bargain as the tyres had over 6mm tread back then, no that now!lol

compared to yokos, which i had before i rate these better any day they are super grippy in both wet and dry conditions with excellant water channeling.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
i fancy doing somethign similar to mine, as i really like the smoked look of them when they are (rarely) dirty. I think they look really good. but then i stop and look at it once they are clean and really like the bright silver, and no that they look good when i'm driving along. though i still fancy a refurb to a darker tone..........hmmmmmmm

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
hi mate , you seem to be the man in the know about car detailing!

what do you recomend for getting out swirls/light stratches, i have a porter cable type polisher with the pads that screw in.

ive run out of pads now, so need to get some , but which one do i use?

your car is very dark do you use any special products to keep up the shine?

any help would be great

1 - 20 of 35 Posts