Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have OZ Canyon ll's (19s) just now and Im thinking about changing them.

The finish on them has corroded in places and as they are under warranty OZ have agreed to replace them. They have informed me that I have to remove the wheels during the winter. [^o)]

Not very happy about this as I didnt pay ?1600 for wheels and tyres that I can only use 6 months out of the year and if they are telling me to take them off over the winter I'm guessing they expect the same thing to happen again [:'(]

Im thinking it may be time to get my money back and buy something else but I cant decide what to get!

Suggestions please people!

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
BBS LM's - in fact anything BBS! [:D]

Why not go for some dished Euro wheels like Brocks or Ronals? With the kit you have I reckon they'll go quite well.

Other options are Ace 132's or MTM replicas.

If it were me I'd go for something different like a set of OEM Avus S4 wheels. They would require adaptors but think how good they would look [Y]

·
Registered
836 Posts
If my mates ACE rims are anything to go by you'll have the same trouble with them as the OZ's..

Like the Brocks idea.. or the ASA's people are using.. If I was doing wheels agina I'd go for black Super Legerras for their light weight...

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
avus s4's I like! [H] nice one tabs!

brocks are cool too. Staying away from ACE i have a mate with them and his are worse than mine. I did look at super legarras but not sure they would look right on the car.

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
BBS LM's - in fact anything BBS! [:D]

Why not go for some dished Euro wheels like Brocks or Ronals? With the kit you have I reckon they'll go quite well.

Other options are Ace 132's or MTM replicas.

If it were me I'd go for something different like a set of OEM Avus S4 wheels. They would require adaptors but think how good they would look [Y]
Avus S4 rims ? Anyone got piccytures ? [:)]

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
The wheels TurboTrev had (Ronals?) on his mkv GTI looked pretty trick. Would suit your car come to think of it. Heres a pic:

Posted Image
I have to agree with Mark on this one, i saw three sets of these at the festival and i can't fault them, they look mint! [:p]

Also Laura, your car will carry them really well with it being a dark colour! [;)]

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
What exactly happened to the finish, has it peeled or cracked? At what point? Are the rims chipped anywhere? The metal will only corrode if the finish is damaged, letting in air and moisture. In places like Germany it's not uncommon to swap your sparkly alloys for steel rims on winter tyres during the colder months. I don't have winter tyres, so I just make sure I wash my wheels very regularly, even if it's just warm water and shampoo to rinse off the road salt. The inside face of the wheel that mates to the hub is bare metal, as are the holes where your bolts go, these are the points I would expect corrosion to start, and if you don't want your wheels welding to the hubs, grease them (and your bolt threads). I didn't do this once and when I took my car to a wheel shop for a puncture repair, the guy couldn't get the wheel off and to my horror, took a mallet (one with a metal head, not wooden!) to the inside tyre wall, but on one of the strikes he missed, and struck the wheel, chipping the paint down to bare metal! If you've got such expensive alloys then it's absolutely imperative that you look after them as well as if not better than the car's bodywork, as they also have a high quality glossy finish but are subject to harsher working conditions (not only dirt and all that but very high mechanical and thermal stresses).

Nice wheel, by the way. That looks like a split rim, does it have bare polished metal in places? I would expect that to be more susceptible to corrosion. It will react with acid (so don't use any wheel cleaner that is acidic, which pretty much rules out most of them on the market!).

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yes they are split rims.

The finish has bubbled and chipped off in places, lots of places! I am always very careful with them and never use anything on them which could damage them. If I was intending on not looking after them i'd have bought cheap ones!

Ive lost all faith in OZ quality especially considering they have told me I cant use them in winter. They also tried to fob me off with single piece ones as replacements [:mad:]

Does anyone know where I stand with this? Do I have the right to request a refund as the wheels are unsuitable for inteneded sales purpose? If they had told me I could only use them 6 months of the year before i bought them then it would be my own fault but there was no mention of it or I wouldnt have bought them!

OZ suck, not happy [:'(]

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
The finish has bubbled and chipped off in places, lots of places! I am always very careful with them and never use anything on them which could damage them. If I was intending on not looking after them i'd have bought cheap ones!
You could be super-rich for all I know [:)] One of my customers is a minted dude whose XK Jag (one of several cars, needless to say) has 20" BBS rims that are kerbed like you wouldn't believe.

Back to your wheels... is the finish lacquer straight onto polished metal? This type of finish seems much more susceptible to the finish peeling off and corrosion setting in, compared to wheels that are painted and then lacquered. Special BBS RCs on the Anni have a terrible reputation for this (normal RCs are painted). Split rims are also possibly more susceptible to acids and salts creeping in the seams.

Have you considered Oettinger wheels? They do a monobloc and split rim that looks similar to your current wheels and they're very smart as they're styled for VAG cars. I seem to recall they are manufactured by Ronal, so quality is top spec.

P.S. Like that front lip, looks like the Mk1 GTI [Y]

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
ive been told to only use my wheels (2 piece RIALS) for summer use only. Yeah it sucks but its ok for me as the rials are only used for shows anyway. I have some 17" Audi S3  wheels as daily runners.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
you were told Mike, I wasnt! If I had been I wouldnt have been so bothered. Its more the attitude that they have taken, as if they dont have faith in their own product which bothers me.

They are painted then laquered. I know split rims are obviously going to need refurbished over time due to the salt and everything on the road but the wheels are less than a year old! OZ split rims are also extrememly difficult to refurbish due to the way they are bonded....apparently!

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
That's bad. Where did you buy your wheels, did the shop fit them and throw away all packaging? There might have been a booklet or care instructions in each box. When my BBS wheels arrived at my local wheel shop I went down there during a lunch break to inspect them, the guy opened one box while I was there and gave me the booklet inside which tells you how to care for the wheel. If you didn't get a chance to see your wheels from new, it's possible there might have been a booklet with these instructions that the wheel shop simply threw away.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts