Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is filthy but theres no way im standing out in this weather cleaning my car, its about 2 degrees!! Is there such a thing as a safe car wash that wont damage my paint. Or at least not as much as leaving all the grime on over winter.

Normally Id do the full routine of P21's, Zymol and Pinnacle wax but its just TOO DAMN COLD!

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
If ir gets really cold as it is why don't you take it to one of the independent car washers who wash your car for you. for a few quid.

·
Registered
811 Posts
i sometimes use ARC car clean centre if its really dirty, they have people working there, and ive not noticed any damage to my car using it every now and again, but then again the front of my car is covered in stone chips anyway [:(]

you can find thenearest one to you here ----> http://www.arc-carwash.co.uk/GB/uk.asp

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
No, get out there and get washing and waxing, you'll warm up surprisingly quickly!
He's right - pair of rubber gloves and get into the cleaning and you won't notice it [:)]

Keep the water from direct contact with your skin and you should be fine [y]

C

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
I don't even wear rubber gloves [:|]

You know you're working hard enough when you see the freezing water steaming off your hands like fresh

Posted Image

No pain... [Y]

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Gloves? You big blouse !!

Yeh, get it valeted, you'd be surprised how little extra a wash, chamois and tyre dressing is over a brush wash at an Esso etc and the job will be done properly with no bits missed.

But you're also a lazy git !! Get out there and do it yourself.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Posted Image

What the hell is that? And id sooner pay someone to freeze their ass of than mine. Theres one of those arc places down the street from where i work, might have to drop it off.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
If you don't want to do it yourself then use a hand-car wash. The one I have used is http://www.all-american.co.uk/ but this is local to me. I'm sure you have similar car wash places near you. The waxworks is very good at the All American but costs ?30.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
What a Girl !!!

Get yourself a hot bucket of water & a wooly hat, then your sorted.

I washed her down saturday morning, -2c, hosed all the frost off 1st & then got the hot bucket of water out & did business as usual.

Its the wind which makes it hard work in the winter for me, the chilling breezes are a killer.[:'(]

After doing a 100miles over sat & sunday, I couldnt start the week dirty, so late yesterday afternoon I gave her a quick sponge bath, a shampoo soaked hot sponge, with blade & leather, pannel by pannel, looked sweeeeeet after [Y]

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I washed my car @ 6pm, (dark[:(]) with the buildings securtiy light to aid my sight. - Had to step in the sensor range, as the light kept turning off lol- was soooo cold, never washed/ waxed my car so fast in my life!![:O]

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
I've thought about using a jet wash.  There's one near me (well, on the way back from work) that just opened last week at a new somerfield, so might give that a go at the end of this week. Plus, you can aim it underneath to wash the salt off, well a bit at least !

·
Registered
689 Posts
My local immigration car wash just puts foam all over the car then a few minutes later jet wash off.

Might strip wax but at least theres not brushes or gritty sponges scratching your paint.

I've not tried it though

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
get out and DIY I did mine yesterday, it ain't that cold and if you regularly wax it a quick wash is all it will need
i did mine yesterday too.........cold, not really, satisfaction, 100% as i'm done 200miles in a day, and the raods were damp, so the back of my car was white!

there is no such thing as an automatic car wash........if you are too much of a girl to DIY, go for a "manned" car wash instead, as long as humans are washing it, it should be fine.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
there is no such thing as an automatic car wash........if you are too much of a girl to DIY, go for a "manned" car wash instead, as long as humans are washing it, it should be fine.
No No No No No, I've used one of those types of car wash ONCE, & never again shall I use one.

They use the same sponge /brush on all areas of the car, which means, all that salt/grit which is on the front & under the sills just gets swished around on your paint work [:'(]

If I ever have to use the supermarket jet wash I always make a point of blasting the brush with the high pressure jet for about 20seconds, just incase some muppet has used it to clean his 4x4 or MX bike & the brush is laden with crud........

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
If I ever have to use the supermarket jet wash I
always make a point of blasting the brush with the high pressure jet
for about 20seconds,
Same here; and then I only use the brush for the wheels, I use my own
sponge for the rest. Living in flats / Uni halls etc often means the
jet wash is the only option for a decent job. Having said all this most
modern car washes won't 'damage' your car, as they use much softer
'bristles' than the old days. The backstreet hand washes are a mixed
bag - some are good, others use greasy rags and stone filled sponges -
avoid!

I have been just too busy to do mine recently and as I type, I have got
the local valet crew that tour the office car parks working on mine;
?15
for inside and out, and they spend a good 1 1/2 hours on it. I've just
seen the finished result and I am stunned, I have never seen it look so
good. Absolutely perfect! Will be using them again.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Using the local Petrol Station or Supermarket power wash is a pain.. The brushes are usually all manked & there's usually no time to properly dry the vehicle off before having to make way for the next person.. Besides, i once saw a builder using the brush to wash down the inside of his pickup! Not good..
The drive-in 'American style' hand car washes are no safer.. The mits they use are usually thread bare & like what another person has said is used for all parts of the vehicle! They also have an unwritten rule that they wash the WHOLE car with ONE soap load, i.e. without re-dipping the mit! Which basically means all the crap they've collected off the first couple of panels & undersides gets rubbed around over the rest of the car! That's how you get swirling & webbing.
I also noticed that they cheat.. They have a special more potent solution they use to remove grime from wheels etc.. & they give the front & bottom areas a quick blast with this too!! I was horrified.. When I asked what the hell it was, they said wheel cleaner.. They wash this stuff off fast as i assume it has very strong properties to it.. But my guess it will strip off any protection you have on the paintwork.. If you're not going to doctor the paintwork afterwards with a body cleaner solution or polish/wax then i'd leave the bargain hand car washes well alone..

Think about doing it yourself mate, honestly, on a frosty sunday morning with a hot bucket of suds you'll be ok..
I know others have teased about rubber gloves but I swear by those surgical latex ones.. It might appear a bit nancy but it is important to not just keep the cold from your hands but the chemicals too.. especially if you're having to use a variety of shampoos, cleansers, polishes & waxes..

1 - 20 of 31 Posts