Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2002 MK4 1.8t GTi AUM
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

im looking to check and adjust the front subframe on my mk4 GTi, the question is do the 4 locating pins sets i find on line work for this ? link is to a set of pins.

thanks
Craig

·
Registered
10,893 Posts
they should but i have never ever used them you can actually see if it needs moving especially if you mark the position of the subframe before you take it off... i normally use Tipex correcction fluid to mark it as once it is dry it simply washes off...

·
Registered
421 Posts
Crikey this is a job. I lowered mine on the MK4 once only on the one side to get the gearbox out and then back in!

·
Registered
2002 MK4 1.8t GTi AUM
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
they should but i have never ever used them you can actually see if it needs moving especially if you mark the position of the subframe before you take it off... i normally use Tipex correcction fluid to mark it as once it is dry it simply washes off...
the issue is i know the subframe has been lowered at a minimum at some point before i bought the car, and the tyres are worn in a way that makes me think the subframe is out of line, so i won't have telltale signs to go off of, for the price of the pins and plans to pull and upgrade all the suspension inc ARB, i'll probably strip and paint the subframe at the same time.

·
NooNoo
9,472 Posts
The only thing that will wear tyres is toe in/out on a mk4. I've tried various SF positions and to be honest I reckon I could only get 1mm of movement before the bolts restricted it. This equated to a tiny bit of extra camber on one side, both still well within spec.
If you're wearing tyres check toe alignment and bushes.
:)

See my build thread I fitted a new genuine SF 5 years ago. Whether I got a dodgy frame who knows but it's 4 bolts that pinned mine into an almost fixed position.

·
Registered
2002 MK4 1.8t GTi AUM
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, as other posts I've only bought the car for project and pulling info just now before I rip everything apart, if it's pretty much locked with bolts that's spot on, as I will be pulling all suspension and subframe off for full polybush, and new components.

·
NooNoo
9,472 Posts
I even tried a pry bar to move mine when it was all slightly bolted up/interference torque. Diddley squat movement and I definitely have more camber on the offside. Maybe only 0.5° IIRC. This included using up all the slots on the bottom cast arms. So my car is lopsided but well within spec. Like anyone, I wanted it perfect, not to be.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts