Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A bit of an odd one but I should be shot of the R by the weekend (or if not, very soon) and have spent hours checking out what to get in the interim.

Needs to be totally undesirable to thieves, be bombproof, be able to tow a speedboat, have a bit of room and handle/go realtively well. Also handy if it fits the image of our company - Veg imports/exports.

I think this fits the bill - Not new but a couple of years old so I can treat it like a workhorse and not need to panic about it all the time (plus be able to park it outside, not hide it over a mile from my house!)

Any experiences anyone?

Will revisit the nice motor club once we sort out a garage.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My brother in law is selling his Subaru Forrester S/bt I think its called, its an import, has 250bhp and full Impreza running gear etc, is W reg and only has 48000 miles on the clock. Completely standard and A1 condition and is selling it for just over ?8000. It is a lovely car, he bought it a year ago for ?12000 but needs a quick sale as he needs to buy a house quick and needs the deposit. PM me if your interested or if anyone else is interested.

·
Banned
774 Posts
The Forester is a great car you won't go far wrong with it. Classless image and for that late model ripe for a TEK remap to UK fuel and 280bhp.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
The Forester is an Impreza with High Heels. Slightly less capable in the corners and a wee bit slower, but basically the same. The scoop in the bonnet gives away the fact it has (UK model) around 200bhp.

Expect fuel consumption in the high teens and low twenties, and generally good reliability. It can suffer similar probs to the impreza with head gaskets and bottom ends etc if tuned or higher miles, but on the whole, most people who buy one will not thrash it to within an inch of its life like thy would do no doubt with an Impreza.

I bet you will like it [^]

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just got a 2.0XT for 24 hours (same as the old Turbo S more or less) and so far I'm very impressed.

Very little body roll but a comfy ride, loads of space, good brakes and I like the noise!

About to drive to Hereford to see a supplier (much cheaper than hiring!) so will give it a good going over.

Subaru service was superb - This is an auto but they will lend us a manual for 24 hours once it comes in!

They do know I'e just sold the R32 so probably a wise move...!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Forester is a great car to drive. I am on my 4th one in the last year. [:O]

If you get chance try the 2.5 XT - it is as quick as a R32 in a straight line [:D][:D]

My only complaint with them is the fuel consumption - I am currently getting about 21mpg out of a 2.0 XT auto !!

If you end up wanting to buy one - drop me a pm.

Cheers

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Carl - Yep it did drink a lot.

Also got an auto (I'd get a manual) and worked it out to be about 24mpg (with some heavy right foot action) over 120 miles of A, B and M way roads.

Very impressed with the handling - I really upset a Mondeo TDCi thingy on a fast A road - He eventually turned off and wheelspun in a huff after dismally failing to lose me!

What are the service intervals BTW?

Any problems with yours at all?

2.5XT sounds good but I imagine the mpg would be dreadful!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Quote: posted by sutherlandm on 12/04/2005 09:19:33

Carl - Yep it did drink a lot.

Also got an auto (I'd get a manual) and worked it out to be about 24mpg (with some heavy right foot action) over 120 miles of A, B and M way roads.

Very impressed with the handling - I really upset a Mondeo TDCi thingy on a fast A road - He eventually turned off and wheelspun in a huff after dismally failing to lose me!

What are the service intervals BTW?

Any problems with yours at all?

2.5XT sounds good but I imagine the mpg would be dreadful!

No probs at all with the one's I have had.

The service intervals are every 10k !

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looking at one on Sunday.

2.0XT, Jun 2003 ('03 reg), met green and grey (a bit agricultural but then I need that look!), 15k miles, manual and checked out 100% fine on an HPI check (?40 - Ouch!).

Fingers crossed...

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Didn't go for it - Looked fine but circumstances were dodgy and I wasn't 100% sure it was okay. He wouldn't budge an inch on price either which is odd for a cash buyer.

Darn!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Quote: posted by sutherlandm on 18/04/2005 12:44:50

Didn't go for it - Looked fine but circumstances were dodgy and I wasn't 100% sure it was okay. He wouldn't budge an inch on price either which is odd for a cash buyer.

Darn!

Mate, keep looking they are out there. You can have mine for ?21k.

05 plate 2.0XT Auto in Silver with full leather - 2k miles !![;)]

·
Registered
493 Posts
Quote: posted by sutherlandm on 06/04/2005 14:26:04

Also handy if it fits the image of our company - Veg imports/exports.

Should have gone for a Chevrolet 'Courgette'.

Sorry, couldn't resist[:D]

·
Registered
874 Posts
Excellent choice, whenever I see someone driving one I think "he knows his cars".

Seems like it will fit just the image you need- don't think you could get something more suitable.

Now go find one!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Quote: posted by sutherlandm on 19/04/2005 10:44:47

Carl - Been offered a new silver manual from my local dealer for ?18900!

No leather though.

Tempted ??

1 - 19 of 19 Posts