Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
50,244 Posts
The 0 SWG kit I linked to will be more than adequate and will make it all fully future proof if you ever want more power,but even for that sub/amp combo any of the 4 SWG kits will be fine.

Chris.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
yes, if you run 2 4ohm subs off of one output then you either wire them in series and create an 8ohm load or wire them in parallel and have a 2ohm load.

the ohms is more about the amp as an amp thats say 1000W rms is only at a certain ohm load, say 2ohm. if you put a 4ohm load on that same amp then its only capable of 500W and with an 8ohm load that halves again to 250W.

the amp i have running my subs is a rockford fosgate 1501bd thats got a certificate to say its good for about 1650W @ 2ohm and i have 4 alpine 12" type S subs which are dual 4ohm subs and i have the lot wired up as a 1200W 2ohm load.

it can take a bit of thinking sometimes when you have multiple subs as getting it wrong could destroy the speakers and/or the amp. my setup could be wired from 32ohm impedence all the way down to .25ohm(i think)

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
and yes that headunit will work but its only got 1 preout so you can either run just one amp and use the cross-over in the headunit or run multiple amps and have to setup all the cross-overs up seperately and in harmony if you want to run multiple amps.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
its good to ask questions, i had a go at a bloke running a shop selling subs on a local forum last week for selling subs with no mention of the spec other than peak wattage(which means sod all), he told me to stop making him look bad and that these aren't for a "pro setup" and the speakers can run off of any amp at all, for a 275W rms sub he recommended a 100W 2 channel amp to a guy buying one. WTF?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts