Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
50,205 Posts
I don't think the Beta has pre-amp level outputs,only the Gamma has.You'll need an amp or active subwoofer that has speaker level input,or a speaker/RCA adaptor if it hasn't.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nuts!

My amp does have speaker level inputs but the Beta doesn't have any rear speaker outputs.

I'm going to give it a try as the cable is coming any way if not it looks like eBay for a Gamma.

But the cable looks sound?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's eBay for a Gamma.

At least we all know now you can't run an Amp of the Beta!

My Installs looking pretty good though (even if it does sound the same) I'll stick some photos on if anyones interested.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been eBaying and I've got my self a Gamma coming next week.

I'm just hoping the Gamma will output to my Amp I'll keep you posted!

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Nuts!

My amp does have speaker level inputs but the Beta doesn't have any rear speaker outputs.

I'm going to give it a try as the cable is coming any way if not it looks like eBay for a Gamma.

But the cable looks sound?
The Beta in my Bora disagrees, i've got tweeters and speakers in the back doors!

Not sure how that happened?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm just going on what the manual says.

Beta = 2x17W

Gamma = 4x17W

I am in no way an expert[:cool:]

·
Super Moderator
50,205 Posts
If you pull the radio out,the speaker ISO block is in the middle,right above the power ISO block.It should only have wires coming out of the middle two positions for the front speakers.To have the rear speakers driven,it WILL need the outer two positions to have wires coming out of them.Every Beta I've ever taken out doesn't even have any pins in the outer two positions,are you sure you actually have speakers in the rear doors,and not just grills?
If it does have speakers in there,they must have been fitted after the car was made,and they will probably have been wired in parallel with the fronts,hence no front/rear fade,but as they aren't designed to run this type of load (2 ohms),it's surprising it doesn't complain at all.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Lunker mate, I wasn't trying to be sarcastic or anything[:$], i just meant i've seen a few posts about Beta's not running rear speakers and mine seems to be the only one that does, i just meant i didn't know why[:)]

Imagewerx, I'll check the iso when i go out next but i'm 100% sure there are speakers and tweeters in the rear doors (at least in the drivers side , havn't checked the other but i'm guessing they wouldn't be in one and not the other). Not sure about the fade, which button is it? The only problem i ever have with the head is sometimes when i have the radio on it seems to lose the signal for a split second but it doesn't do it with my phatnoise. Thinking about it, i have an intermittant short circuit fault on one of my front speakers, maybe this is a bit of dodgy wiring from the front speaker to the back?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I didn't think you were borachris things like this aren't that straight forward and I'm definately still learning. I can only go off my Beta headunit and you can go off yours. I don't know they are all the same as I think some are made by Sony and some by Blaupunkt.

It may be something you might look into as running 2 speakers off one output isn't too healthy for the headunit.

You won't have a fade button due to it being a Beta. On the Gamma the Balance button is split in half one half being Bal one being Fade.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I'm still learning about this sort of thing too mate, you might be correct about the two different manufacturers, someone has told me that before, off out now so i'll have a quick look and see whats going on.[Y]

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Took these pics with my phone

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'm guessing this means the rears are wired to the fronts, is this going to cause me any problems in the future?

·
Super Moderator
50,205 Posts
I take it those blue inline splice crimps have two wires coming out of the other side? In which case,yes eventually you COULD burn out the output stage in your Beta headunit as it's not designed to run that much of a load.You could wire them in series,which would increase the total impedance on each channel 8 ohms,but this means each speaker would only get 4 1/4 watts.Probably easier to change to an aftermarket head unit with 4 speaker outputs.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Let me get this straight, If those blue crimps have two wires coming out of them, could i just get a gamma head unit, take those crimps out and then wire them up to the gamma?

Before when you said the rears might be wired into the fronts, i thought you meant a wire going from the rear door to the front door between the speakers, now i'm guessing the rears are wired directly into the head unit via those blue crimps, correct?

Cheers for all the useful info[:D]

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes you take the crimps out and buy a Gamma but I would still double check which of the wires go to the front and which goes to the back.

By the looks of things you only have provision for front left and front right and they have been cut any way. I would but a new ISO connector and just wire up the speaker half.

http://www.bluespot.co.uk/stock/iso.asp

·
Super Moderator
50,205 Posts
Let me get this straight, If those blue crimps have two wires coming out of them, could i just get a gamma head unit, take those crimps out and then wire them up to the gamma?

Before when you said the rears might be wired into the fronts, i thought you meant a wire going from the rear door to the front door between the speakers, now i'm guessing the rears are wired directly into the head unit via those blue crimps, correct?

Cheers for all the useful info[:D]
Yes,yes and yes! You can get the pins to go in ISO connectors if you don't want to cut your loom,but the easiest way is to cut that one off,and join it onto another one that has the outer positions for the rear speakers already occupied,as any aftermarket ISO block will have.OR...............you could buy the VW ISO to the rest of the world ISO adaptor,and cut the power blocks off and just use the speaker blocks,either way you'll achieve the same results.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts