Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know some of you have seen and/or done this mod.

For those who want to see it again and for the newer members who haven't, I have put a set of pics on my site to show the few easy steps to remove the old arm and fit the new.

This is a pic showing the old and new as a comparison:

Posted Image

For about £13 you can have this complete mod - and in about 2 minutes you can have it fitted and done!

To see more, click my sig to go to my webpage.

On the left you will see various page links - click on 'skoda rear wiper'.

If you have a roof spoiler, please note that this arm may well foul it at the 12 O'clock position.

Fear not - it can be cut and shut to give the clearance.

Jimmy has done this with his and colour-coded it too: see his site here: http://www.golf-v5.co.uk/

Feedback welcomed.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Dunno but i would really like one of those. Maybe we could organise a group buy with a skoda dealer to get a discount. Although they are not that expensive so it may be easier for people to pick up their own.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Foxy, I bought the bits to do this a while back, but have not fitted it yet as I thought, on brief inspection, that it would catch the top of the window, even though I do not have a spoiler. Can you confirm that it will not?

·
Registered
9 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by talk-torque

Foxy, I bought the bits to do this a while back, but have not fitted it yet as I thought, on brief inspection, that it would catch the top of the window, even though I do not have a spoiler. Can you confirm that it will not?
I was not bothered about painting mine, and didn't want to cut and stick it either.

I had to trim about 3mm of the wiper blade itself to miss the top of the hatch - no spoiler.

Just being careful, I used wet & dry to take most of the "lip" on the underside of the very end of the arm, too.

It now clears the hatch by 3 or 4mm

Looks much better than standard, and doesn't judder either!!

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just went back to the dealer to pick up the final part which they omitted to include with the first visit : the wiper blade !!

p/n 6Y0955425

To be honest, I fitted it outside the dealer and didn't look to see if it's a problem.

I used it on the way home and all seemed OK - and that was less than an hour ago.

I will go and see if the rubber just runs off the glass.

For me it's not an issue in the long term as I will be fitting my votex roof spoiler in a week or so and i'll have to truncate the whole thing anyhow.

I'll have a look and report back.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
quote:

Originally posted by Gti Fly

Foxy,

Is the old wiper blade totally different to the skoda one? Or can it still be retained?
It's totally different, although I did use it for a short journey into the dealers, and used a tie-wrap to ensure it didn't fall off.

The old blade/holder is a higher profile and shorter in length.

For £4.80 odd it's a small cost and not worth trying to fiddle.

The whole mod has cost about £14, so perhaps it's one of the best VFM items you can do, AND it looks SO much neater.

·
Registered
472 Posts
i too have done this mod

i saw it on jimmys car at the Utterly V Dubberly show and thought it looked well ace [^]

i have cut it and stuck it even tho i haven't got a spoiler. it does work loads better than the original one

·
Registered
89 Posts
I just picked mine up from the skoda garage - bunch of muppets, i gave them all the part numbers from Foxys post & it took them 30 minutes to find the parts! Then they asked me how i was going to pay i told them debit card - "we don't take cards only cash or cheques" - How antiquated is that for a main dealer garage! So i have to find a cash machine, luckily one down the road. Get back & start speaking to lady whose Octavia RS has been off the road since begining of January - guess why - coil packs, service bloke told her there wouldn't be a recall but they were redesigning the coils, but wouldn't replace them automatically unless they broke again. Typical.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts