Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Doing my front pads and discs today but I can't even get the wheel nuts off as they are stupidly tight, I have had a go at them with the bar I have but they still wont move.

Anyone got any tips or ideas to get the wheel nuts off?

Thanks

Ridders

·
You ain't seen me, right?
3,778 Posts
try taking it to a tyre place, using the air gun, most likely what they were put on with.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Get a longer bar :p

They should never be that tight to not be able to get them off with a road side bar, and i dno if an impact gun will get them off, tyre shops should do them up with an impact gun then go round with a bar. Tightening them up too tight with an impact gun can crack the alloy.

Were the alloys ever painted or re-furbed? I've had many a nightmare getting alloys off where the paint wasn't left to cure before they went back on the car and it's been my task to get them off.

I used a 24" crack bar with extension pole on that so like 35" (you get a lot of bend) but it got them off.

If all else fails get like an 18" bar and jump on the f*****r! (just remember lefty loosey righty tighty :p)

·
99 Ronnie
2,793 Posts
Interesting this, I think we've all had the odd troublesome wheel bolt. I recently treated myself to a torque wrench and set the wrench to what I believe was the correct setting and the bolts are surprisingly easy to get off afterwards. Seemed almost as if everybody in the world over tightens them or my torque settings were too low..

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All sorted now guys, decided to drive into work and get the biggest bar there and it managed to loosen them off :)

Think I will be investing in a proper bar and some hardened sockets

·
Registered
381 Posts
'Agreed about torque wrench. I got a cheapo ?20 screwfix one its about 24" for wheels bolts. Also have a laser deep alloy socket as it has a plastic sleeve so no scratching.'

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
They should be really easy to get off!

Only time i tell people to go a little tighter is if they have non hub centric spacers, which i don't advise people use anyway!

BTW most vags are between 120 and 140 nm of torque, steelies can go a little tighter but again about the same...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.