Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The speedo on my car stopped working the other day, as when I started it up it stalled again and flashed up all sorts of messages.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

I restarted the car and it started OK except the speedo was not working and airbag light has come on again for the 3rd time in a year.

As it was late in the afternoon and was unable to get hold of AutoTechnik in Southampton who appears to have gone bust so I thought I'll leave it till I can get down there to have a look to see what?s up. But low and behold it has to be typical that a speed scamra van is sitting in the middle of the road just before a fixed camera of a duel carriage way with a 30 limit. I know for a fact I may have been going too fast as the revs were very high for 5th gear but was unsure of speed<o:p></o:p>

Got it to a garage the day after the above event on after much searching for someone to have it looked at without booking it in.<o:p></o:p>

After much flapping about by a garage in Hedge End who told me I needed a speed sensor but they don't even know where it is located on the car but they will charge me ?110 to have it done I thought this can't be right plus also being unemployed for the last 10 weeks as I work as contractor and work seems to have dried up, I didn?t want to be paying that.<o:p></o:p>

After I left them I rushed to another garage Colin Moston in Horton Heath who despite it being almost 5?o clock on poets day still looked at it for me, who after 15mins found it was a bloody fuse but they can't reset the airbag as the diagnostic tool won't do it.<o:p></o:p>

So a big thank you to them, I told them I may have been caught speeding and they even put done me proper receipt with the details on it so I can use it if the worst happens as they were going to just on it a duplicate pad with no headers.<o:p></o:p>

Well that?s my rant over but the worry of been caught speed is still bugging the hell out of me.<o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
351 Posts
If the revs were very high in 5th gear, you'd be going way over 30 surely? There's a chance you'd escape a ticket if you were going around 35-36mph, but if you were any faster be prepared for a nice surprise in the post.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If the revs were very high in 5th gear, you'd be going way over 30 surely? There's a chance you'd escape a ticket if you were going around 35-36mph, but if you were any faster be prepared for a nice surprise in the post.
I really dreading it, its been going through my mind since it happened, the rev?s were at about 2k ish but I?m not sure it was right as the fuel gauge was going up and down as I accelerated but dropping when I slowed down so am unsure if the blow fuse also affected the rev counter.

The bad thing is I didn?t see the van till it was way too late a as a van was in my way on the right of me and I was slowing down and speeding up to, when I noticed the fuel gauge going up and down and also to see if I could get some movement from the speedo.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Sorry mate but if your speedo wasnt working i dont think you can use that one !? ?The reply would be "well why were you driving it in the first place ? "?

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
Now your speedo's working get your car in to 5th gear and get to 2k rpm and see what sort of speed your doing.. as this happened to my speedo.. and my rev counter still worked... and as you said the fuel gauge was going very funny going in to reserves and saying top up fuel lol.. the rev counter has nothing to do with the speed sensor so the revs showing should still be accurate.

Sat [y]

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
sorry to hear about your speeding news .Not sure if this helps but When i am at RPM it equates to 27-28 Mph ( 2.0 engine ) but i think the 20 valve V5 has a longer final drive which takes the RPM speed to about MPH

I'm sure someone else will correct me if i am wrong

Jay

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
You could always state the cars speed had stopped working & I was on my way to the garage with it to get it fixed & had no real guidence to actual speed. If you also produce a letter from a garge stating that the cars speed wasn't working & is being soughted out they might take this into account.

·
Registered
611 Posts
You could always state the cars speed had stopped working & I was on my way to the garage with it to get it fixed & had no real guidence to actual speed. If you also produce a letter from a garge stating that the cars speed wasn't working & is being soughted out they might take this into account.
I would take legal advise before using the defence of not having a working speedometer, you are very likely to be additionally prosecuted for driving with a defective speedometer and gain an extra fine/3 points.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I would take legal advise before using the defence of not having a working speedometer, you are very likely to be additionally prosecuted for driving with a defective speedometer and gain an extra fine/3 points.
You are only probably permitted to dive your vehicle if you are taking it to a garage.. But like BigAI said you can seek legal advise 1st.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
2000RPM on my speedo is 50mph [:(] Hope you get it sorted!
Hi all thanks for the advice, I have just tried the speed at 2000rpm is about 50mph so it looks like I'm stuffed, but I still have to wait another week and half to see if I get anything in the post. The killer is I was trying to get to Autotechnik in Southampton to get it looked at as I couldn't get hold of them on the phone I didn't even manage to get there as by the time I got any where near them it was gone 5, the broken speedo was traced to a blow fuse, don't know how that happened but my airbag light has come on again 3 times in one year.

For everyones info, Autotechnik has closed down but there are people interested in buying the business as I have been down there today and called a number left on the wall.

I will keep all posted on what is going to happen in the next few weeks, Thanks all.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
A broken speedo will not get you out of a 50 in a 30 situtaion.  It may even get you into a dangerous driving rap.  Everyone can tell the difference between driving at 50 and driving at 30, so I would not even try it on.  If you were unlucky and the Camera van did get you (ie the guys were not asleep in the back or watching DVD's), I would just take the rap and don't try it on in court.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
I wouldnt use the old broken speedo trick, even if its the truth. Far too many people have. And far to many people have produced letters from garages too. And far to many people have ended up walking out of court with a heavier fine/more points than they would have.

It is a legal requirement to have an operational speedo, regardless of whether or not you were on your way to a garage, so it would never cut the mustard in a court of law i'm afraid.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A broken speedo will not get you out of a 50 in a 30 situtaion. It may even get you into a dangerous driving rap. Everyone can tell the difference between driving at 50 and driving at 30, so I would not even try it on. If you were unlucky and the Camera van did get you (ie the guys were not asleep in the back or watching DVD's), I would just take the rap and don't try it on in court.
It was on a duel carriage way with a van to my right of me of which was over taking me very slowly, he braked suddenly but I never braked thats why I think I may have been braking the limit as he slowed down alot.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It's not a legal requirement to have a working speedo (on a car older than a certain reg plate.. can't remember).

So you can just say "sorry, my speedo was broken.. .I don't know what speed I was doing".. you won't get the points for that - BUT, you will be taken to court on a Dangerous Driving charge - which could lead to a prison sentence, as well as fine and points.

That's why a cyclist can't be done for speeding, but CAN be done for dangerous "driving"

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Over 3 weeks has passed looks like I was under the speed limit as I've been told they have about 17 days to send a letter out to say that they are going to fine me for speeding and if they don't do it by that time it does not stand, so I don't know if I was right about the revs being at 2k rpm as that is over 50 mph so I'm not sure what what was happening with the car that day every thing seems OK now.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
It's not a legal requirement to have a working speedo (on a car older than a certain reg plate.. can't remember).

So you can just say "sorry, my speedo was broken.. .I don't know what speed I was doing".. you won't get the points for that
I stand corrected, it is not a legal requirement, but just because it doesnt work doesnt mean to say that you get off any points you may get by default! Otherwise everyone would be unplugging the transducer on the box and getting off speeding charges. The fact that your speedo doesnt work and you are driving it means that you have chosen to waive your right to KNOW the speed you are doing, so if you are caught speeding, you are still speeding, knowingly or not, and still liable for the points and fine.

You cant guess speed accurately, so it should be a legal requirement. How would it go down if you ran a kid over dead at say 39mph in a 30, they proved you were speeding, and in court your defence was that you didnt know how fast you were going as the speedo was inop. They would say it could have been prevented in that case wouldnt they...

Still, fingers crossed, no points on this occasion.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts