Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well put the car to the dealers on the 21st for a knocking/twang coming from the steering, this happened to me last April so I knew exactly what it was.

The Strut top mount bearings had gone again. Anyone else had this problem?

Anyway they replaced them no problems but while they were at it they replaced the valve on the back box and hooked it up again. All done under warranty so it's not a problem, will have to get under the car again to disconnect.

So I picked up the car and went to the scottish VAG meet which was cracking.

·
Registered
638 Posts
This knowcking noise/twang, is it contant, or do you hear it when going over the odd bump whilst turning wheel etc? My GF's polo is making a similar noise and its going in for its last service under its main manufacturers warranty at the end of the week so could get them to have a look.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
think my mums golf has this problem. knocking felt throught the steering wheel when turning! intermittant though! This sound the same?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it was doing it when the car was stationary or moving slowly eg reversing out my drive. It sounded like the spring was re-seating if you get what I mean.

Don't think it is too serious but it should be replaced under warranty.

It just annoys me that this has happened twice in less than a year.

The mechanic I spoke too said that a big pothole could cause it (if you hit it repeatedly) but not on a new car with only 20k on the clock.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Joey - the spring does jump to a certain extent because the bearing is seized, when you turn the steering the spring doesn't turn and builds up tension until it releases with a twang.

Lee - don't think it is the same problem, AFAIK the bearings are in the strut top mount which you can see when you open the bonnet

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Right i have been getting a knocking noise from the passengers side like this

it is when i go over a bum i feel a knock like something is loose

only way i can describe it is to say tha it is like the zorst is kocking but i know it aint

i was gona book it in and get it checked

·
Old Skool UK-MKIV member
1,594 Posts
Quote: posted by dubzter on 01/02/2005 10:26:00

Lee - don't think it is the same problem, AFAIK the bearings are in the strut top mount which you can see when you open the bonnet

Ahh, gotcha. Thanks for checking it out[8D]

·
Registered
472 Posts
Old thread but I need help

Mine has gone on the nearside and needs the bearing replacing. However should I have them done in a pair or just replace the faulty one.

Any help appreciated

·
Registered
472 Posts
Cheers azzle123

I dont really know if I need the rubber mount as i have not had it apart yet.

Would you suggest that the rubber is replaced ? Only symptoms is that the car creaks like hell when going from lock to lock and then a loud twang from the nearside. I just assumed the bearing but I have no idea what the rubber does.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts