Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a bit of an root infection in a tooth & the dentist has given me some stuff to clear it up, but its still very painful, currently taking Neurofen+ to ease the discomfort, but these arent really that good

What else is available over the counter thats stronger ??

BTW, if the tooth doesnt clear up, its out with the root

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I think that Nurofen+ are about as strong as you can get over the counter ( or solpadeine *sp* ), But Clove Oil is good for tooth ache ! and Bonjella is O.K too

Jay

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think that Nurofen+ are about as strong as you can get over the counter ( or solpadeine *sp* ), But Clove Oil is good for tooth ache ! and Bonjella is O.K too

Jay
I'll try the Solpadeine.

Got Clove oil & Bonjella already, good god that Clove oil is disgusting

·
Registered
1,586 Posts

Jay
I'll try the Solpadeine.

Got Clove oil & Bonjella already, good god that Clove oil is disgusting
Disgusting ...but did it take you mind of your tooth ache ?? I read somewhere once to mix it 50/50 with olive oil and soak a cotton wool pad and hold that against the tooth .

Jay

·
Registered
495 Posts
Try the Nurofen (ibuprofen) and paracetamol. After my wife had a little op the other week I was suprised to find out you can take these together. Kept her quiet too [:p]

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
My dad always reccomends Syndol (hes a pharmacist btw.. i think its an over the counter drug) but im not 100% sure. but the only side effects with syndol is that you can have muscle relaxations and it can make you feel drowsy..

Sat [y]

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
take some piriton... does nothing for pain but you will just fall asleep...

seriously neurofen are the strongest but as there iboprofen based dont take if you have asthma and you need at least 12 hours and to keep on taking them for them to work..

i find my wifes co-cocodamol to work the best, but they are prescription only

·
Super Moderator
8,769 Posts
Don't know if it's an old wives tale but isn't swilling whisky around the paintful tooth supposed to help?? Or am I just being a drunkard?

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Try the Nurofen (ibuprofen) and paracetamol. After my wife had a little op the other week I was suprised to find out you can take these together. Kept her quiet too [:p]
Agreed, thats a good cocktail for getting rid of the pain. Have you been given antibiotics too to try and reduce the infection?

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I think Ibuprofen are the strongest you can get over the counter. Not tried Co-comadol myself, they're supposed to be quite good and strong though.

There's some research and evidence into the effects of long term (like year and years regularly) use of ibuprofen causing health problems, with heart and circulation though.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Agreed, thats a good cocktail for getting rid of the pain. Have you been given antibiotics too to try and reduce the infection?
I shall try that cocktail tonight, although I've had 6 Neurofen + already today, so maybe I should just try the paracetamol on their own

Yea I've got some antibiotics, I have to take 6 x 150mg Clindamycin a day for 7 days

If it doesnt ease up by tomorrow night I'm on the blower & having the root out, sod it, the pains tooooooooooo much

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Co codamol was the only one that did the job when I needed pain relief.

Not over the counter, but a trip to the docs should sort a prescription...

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
I shall try that cocktail tonight, although I've had 6 Neurofen + already today, so maybe I should just try the paracetamol on their own

Yea I've got some antibiotics, I have to take 6 x 150mg Clindamycin a day for 7 days

If it doesnt ease up by tomorrow night I'm on the blower & having the root out, sod it, the pains tooooooooooo much
jace pop out to your local chemist ask for syndol as im sure its over the counter drug.. knock two of the tablets back and go sleep.. you'll be k.o'd and pain free..

Sat [y]

·
Super Moderator
8,769 Posts
Definately don't go with the alcohol pain relief then!!!

I had a serious burn when I errrrrr......fell onto a disposable bbq [:$] . The nurse said I could have an pain relieving injection or get trolleyed!! I was at a festival so chose the latter!!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Would agree with the Paracetamol/Co-codamol and ibuprofen (max 400mg three times a day) route as this would be the best as it won't knock you out, unless that's what you want.

With regards alcohol, it shouldn't be a problem with the Clindamycin. There is only one antibiotic you can't drink with and that is Metronidazole.

Main side effect with Clindamycin is diahorrea.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Try Nurofen with Codine and paracetamol. It's the most you can take safely worked for my recently when I lost a filling and couldn't get to the dentist.

J.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
hi it's mrs beddie here im a dispensing technician in a pharmacy and the strongest painkiller you can buy is paramol it's paracetamol and dihydrocodeine it's really good for tooth aches. hope it works for you.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
An alternative to rohypnol ? [:|]

1 - 20 of 22 Posts