Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Continuing the current 'inuendo' theme where apparently rude thread titles lure you in to find something really quite boring once you look....

Here is a picture of my spare bonnet in paint stripper which I'm starting tonight. I've got a spare bonnet and spare bumper which I swap over and re-finish when the stonechips get to bad to bear. Need to get this done before the weather closes in and it gets all damp.

Posted Image

Also why the 'stripper' was working it's magic I took a night shot of my unwashed war-horse. I wish I could take better photos, in the piccy it doesn't even look lowered. And yeh yeh, I know, another set of RS4's....

Posted Image

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
That poor bonnet's crying[:D]

Just wondering.....did you use a particular type of painter stripper for this job or are they all the same? Excuse my lack of knowledge[:$]

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nothing special, just Tetroseal paint stripper, which to be honest smells just like the stuff you would use in the house on wood etc.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
More boring boringness

Down to bare metal now after lots and lots of flatting. One stone chip was so bad it needed a bit of filler !

Posted Image

Spare bumpers also lined up for primer.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Interesting actually, today was outbid on ebay for a front in the colour of the spare rear in the pic above which came from the 'bay'. Anyone on here either selling it or bought it ? Pricey it went for 60 odd quid in the end.... which meant I had to spend a few hours flatting my old front.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
You should have kept as much of the vw paint on as possible! Did you
not find thee were loads of layers of paint on from etch primers,
primers, undercoats and topcoat?

You may have also stripped the galvanised layer too so the bonnet isn't as protected as it was.

Sorry [:(] but if it was me i would have flatted it back to get it
smooth and done localised repairs where necessary and then primed on
top of the flatted back vw paint.

But as you've done it now are you planning on an etch primer layer?

[:)]

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You should have kept as much of the vw paint on as possible! Did you not find thee were loads of layers of paint on from etch primers, primers, undercoats and topcoat?
You may have also stripped the galvanised layer too so the bonnet isn't as protected as it was.

Sorry [:(] but if it was me i would have flatted it back to get it smooth and done localised repairs where necessary and then primed on top of the flatted back vw paint.
But as you've done it now are you planning on an etch primer layer?

[:)]
Noted but it was just in to bad a condition. This was indeed the original VW bonnet that was on the car when I bought it. (currently got a pattern part bonnet on which I painted earlier this year). The bonnet when I bought the car had more stonechips than I ever thought possible a car to have, the previous owner must have tailgated HGV's everywhere she went!

It has also been 'blown' over at some point and the paint was de-bonded / debonding from the layer below, so I really had no option to do what I've done. I reckon that when it was in the bodyshop getting the blowover they had already flatted through to metal in certain areas as the stripper took the paint off down to metal but left patches, on these patches the stripper wouldn't touch it and the only way I could get a nice level surface was by flatting, these patches must have been what was left of the original VW applied base layers.

I'm not to worried about the galvanising and VW paint and of course RUST as i'll be re-finishing again and swapping the front end over once again when the chips get unbearable again.

Thanks for the advise by the way, much appreciated.

[edit] in fact if you look at the pic above, you can see the patches where the original finish must have been, the rest as you can see came straight off to bare metal.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Sorry, my fault for jumping in when i didn't know the facts. [:)] I see
why you bare metalled it now! I assumed it was straight off a Golf as
it were, not a resprayed (badly) job.

Make sure you get a few coats of etch primer on and lots of coats of primer and colour coat to give it plenty of protection!

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bora Tom,

It's a labour of love. Saying that if you pre-prep the stuff....

Blue V5,

Cheers again, have done, bonnet and front and rear bumpers now waiting in primer, all had 3 generous coats and have been dry flatted between coats. All I need to do now is a final flat prior to the colour coat going on. Then lots and lots of laquer.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yet more boringness,

Here is the bonnet and two bumpers in primer. [edit, and my youngest Son in a 'Buffalo Stance' admiring Daddies handywork]

Posted Image

Also a piccy of the pattern bonnet and glimpse of the front bumper that are currently on the car that I sprayed earlier in the year. It's totally filthy but nice and shiny. It's all in the polishing 'up' after spraying.

Posted Image

I'm really looking forward to having all of my car colour coded and without stonechips (on the front, for a while anyway) and an unscuffed rear bumper.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
All spraying I do is in Celly.

After I've laquered I lightly wet flat the finish using 1500 grit paper to take the bobbles / orange peel out as much as possible and then get the machine polisher out (got that from Squeeky Clean of here second hand, Cheers again, btw where are you these days ?) and using finer and finer compounds until it shines like a shiney thing. Then use a hand glaze for about a month before using polish / wax.

Have to say that the out of the gun finish is pretty aweful, it really is the polishing up after that makes the difference.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Have you tried 2pack? If you are worried about the fumes you can now
get isocyanate free 2pack that doesn't contain the toxic cyanide that
the original 2pack does. It is apparently even easier to spray too!

2pack is so much easier than celly. Much easier to correct mistakes and more forgiving. Less paint needed and better coverage!

I think its around ?20 a litre for isocyanate free primer and laquer. If i recall the base coat (colour) is not 2pack based.

I usually aim for 3 coats of colour and 3-4 coats of laquer.

And 2000grit paper is available on ebay!!

[:) hope this helps

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bump.

It's been a month now since I started and due to technical problems like my old compressor blowing up and having to get a new one it's finally done.

Posted Image

Above shot not taken in the best light so you can't see how well it's come up.

Posted Image

Shot below does show, sort of, the shine and finish.

Posted Image

And finally (below) my new compressor and the machine polisher I use. Have to say this new one is a 3hp with a 50 litre tank, it makes the job so much easier.

Posted Image

All in all, earlier this year, I had a limited ability in spraying. Now I reckon I'm pretty good. I simply practiced and practiced and must say the finished bonnet was the third attempt, the other two, sanding back to bare metal and starting again etc. A lot of hard work and quite a few hours spent BUT i've self taught myself a new skill in how to spray and get almost perfect results. I would recommend to anyone to have a go if you have a garage and a bit of kit.

I'm looking at this longterm and my plan is to swap the two bonnets / bumpers over and re-paint them whenever I can't live with the stonechips any more. I hope to have an almost mint looking almost all the time car and save myself a fortune in the process as I do massive miles, and with the new front end fitted the car will look very good considering I'm now at 106k.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts