Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new wheels should be arriving tomorrow. I won't be using them right away as I'll need to send them off for some 'work' [;)], so in the meantime I wanna sort out tyres.

As they're a dished two piece wheel I would ideally like to go for a stretched tyre look. Now, as the wheels are 17" with the fronts and rears being 7.5" and 8.5" (respectivley), I'm unsure how much 'stretch' I can get away with. I'm not concerned about keeping the rolling radius correct, afterall I do about 5k a year in the car, but don't want to sacrifice too much.

Standard size tyres would be 225/45/17. Would dropping a width size give a more stretched look, or would I need to drop a profile size too?

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Mark, at a guess i would say 205 width for the 7.5 and 215's for the 8.5, but is is probably best to do a little research over on www.vwvortex.com as there are a lot more cars running this type of set up. I am not sure if the profile would need to change as well. I would be interested to hear what you find out, and decide on.

I've got a couple of pics that might help your decision, i'll send you an e-mail.

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers 02 [Y]

Found this topic on 'tex - http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2232362

Guy is running 205/45/17's on the front with a 7.5" width. Looks ok, although the walls could do with being a little less pronounced.

Could go for the same on the rears as well.... [:D]

·
Registered
80 Posts
The tyre side wall construction can also play a large part in the set up. Look at brands such as Goodyear GSD 3, Falken FK-451. If you find images on the net you will see that the side wall is angled by manufacture. Hence it will be easier to get the stretch look without compromising profile and comfort. I run FK-451 on 8j rims and they are angled without even being stretched. Just a thought [^o)]

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Yeah I picked up on that while reading Vortex. Seems the best brands to go for are Toyos, Dunlops and Falkens.

I've priced up some 205/45/17 T1's and they come in at around ?73 each which isn't too bad.
Mark

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

Stretched tyres will look great on your car?

<o:p></o:p>

I would personally go for the 205/45/R17?s on the front and 215/45/R17?s on the back for the best look

or possibly 215/45/R17?s all round for the best usable set up.

Most people that go for the stretched look use Dunlop tyres and there must be a good reason whether they are cheaper or stretch fit easier or just look better, I?m not sure, so I would recommend finding out why Dunlop is the most popular stretched tyre

My personal view would be to not reduce the profile of 45 any further as you will begin to give the car a 4 x 4 look due to the reduction in diameter of the overall wheel and also the chance of catching the front and rear valances.

Do you know what the ride will feel like?

I guess going fast around corners will also be a problem due to tyre peel , but you are a sensible driver so that should not be a problem.

Good luck mate??. and I look forward to seeing your completed car.

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah I'm deffo leaning toward the 205's on the front. I'm going to need quite a lot of clearance when going low so thats going to be the best option.

With the rears being an inch wider I want to try and keep the same look all round, so 215's might be a little too high? David is running 215/45's on this 8.5" Brocks and the profile can look too high.

Ride may be a little harsher but winding down coilovers will cancel that out even more [:p] I don't drive fast either these days so that won't be a problem either lol.

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Right, been looking again. Figures the MK4 crowd on vortex won't be running narrow width 17's, so the next best place to look is the MK3...

Found this thread - http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1056692

And this pictue caught my eye (can't image link so click the link) - http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid85/p329d6de06156326081c9bd3e02864d73/fabc56fb.jpg

After reading/seeing this I could go for 195/40's on the front and 205/40's on the rear [:D] This means I can go ultra low....

Only problem is Pirelli are the only decent manufacturer to sell 195's in a 40 profile. This will mean having to use a mixed setup/front rear.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Im now after the same kind of info! but for 8.5J x 17, ET 30 Fronts and 9.5J x 17, ET 20 Rear. How do they do it then, is it just normal tyres but blown up to such a preasure that they pop out and give the stretched look?

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You'll probably need a 205/45 up front, and 215/45 at the rear - should give you the look from whtat I've been reading!

They just inflate the tyre so the bead sits outside the line of wall. You'll notice some tyres are better than others at it, as they've got softer, rounder, side walls.

What have you got then? PM if you're shy [:p]

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
Quick question if you have a too much stretched tyre what would happen if you accidently hit a hump or pothole in the road, would the seal split and the tyre burst or what??

Sat

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Good question. It would be more likely for the seal, or bead, to pop, due to the stress the stretched wall has placed on the overall tyre. Sudden impacts or even excessive roll would not be a good thing! But then again, if you're running stretch look tyres you're gonna realise that hooning around isn't the done thing!

I think another possible issue to consider is the tyre wall itself, which could be prone to developing tears (eggs as there known). I would have thought this is more likely to occur the more 'stretch' you go for....

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
Also how would you know what tyre pressure for the tyres as if it was
too low wouldnt that also break the bead/seal of the tyre??

Sat

1 - 20 of 25 Posts