Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, this might sound like a silly question, but has anyone had any problems with streaky lines down there front windows? when i wash the car they all go away, but when i put either the front driver or passenger window up and down a few times, the lines start to appear near the front, particularly where you would look out and see your side mirrors. is this a rubber problem? can this be fixed easily?

Thanks

Noel

·
Registered
728 Posts
I get this really bad too, i thought it was just where the window moved.  Never occurred to me it could be an actual problem.....

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I get it too, on the inside of the front passenger window
thats the exact window i get it on in my Golf. SPOOKY lol

Is there an inside rubber along the window i can replace? or is it a case of stripping the door down for deeper investigation?

cheers

Noel

·
Registered
322 Posts
Makes me laugh when i read threads like this!! Makes me feel like im not alone when i spot daft things like this on mine!! Get the same lines on mine more so driver side than owt but passenger side has few bits!!!

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Ok, so we have established that half the forum has this wierd phenomenon, but the real question is, has anyone bothered to fix it? And wiping with the chamois doesn't count! lol[:D]

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Ok, so we have established that half the forum has this wierd phenomenon, but the real question is, has anyone bothered to fix it? And wiping with the chamois doesn't count! lol[:D]
you could always keep then window down all the time [:p]

it happens on all cars not just golfs.

used to happen on my mums porsche 928. just dirt down the window i belive rubing on the glass. blooming annoying

eg i never open my windows for atleast half a day after washing my car because it leaves all water all over the glass (from where the rubber has sucked the water in) and spoils the gleamingness lol

haha

Andy

·
MK7 Golf R
1,011 Posts
I put the windows down on mine and got a leather in between the rubber/felty seal bit and that helped a bit but still get it. Don't remeber having it last year though.

Its really annoying because I need to swipe my pass to get into the carpark and work and it just makes a mess!

·
Registered
437 Posts
It is grease or dirt on the window rubber. Wind down the winder and clean the rubber with some white spirit.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I get the same thing.

Tried squirting some acetone along the felt scraper and it seemed to improve things a bit, still get it to some extent with just water where previously it was deffo that white grease stuff from inside the door.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks everyone for your replies!!!

It seem that this is quite a common problem with the Golfs/Boras

Looks like i will give the inside rubbers a clean and hope that will help it.

Any other advice is very welcome

Cheers

Noel

1 - 20 of 20 Posts