Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Just bought a new MK4 115PD that has a strange starting problem sometimes..

Intermittently when starting from cold it will not start until I give the gear stick a good waggle then starts like a charm

Any ideas why???

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
50,238 Posts
You need to be more precise when saying "it will not start".Does this mean it cranks but won't fire,or it won't even turn over?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sorry, I shoud have said that it will not even turn over. All of the dash lights turn on and i get that clicking kinda noise but it will not turn or fire. However, a 2 sec shake of the gear stick and it turns and fires straight away, you could not wish for a cleaner, smoother start.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No Stuart not an Auto

Thanks Dan but I am 99% sure the battery is not shagged, cos it will start perfectly everytime after the gear stick waggle.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I dont know of anything electrical attached to the gear knob, unless an earth is dead or loose?

What happens if you leave it in gear, dip the clutch and try to start. Will it go?

·
Diesel & RX8 Fanboy
9,407 Posts
That's also the reason of say its not the battery. I would like to say that the gear stock is completely coincidental but you never know. You'll have to worry when it gets to wiggling the gear stick, whisking the national anthem backwards and standing in your head just to get it started every morning

·
Super Moderator
50,238 Posts
The wiring loom to the starter runs near the top of the gearbox where the linkages are,maybe they're rubbing on the loom and have damaged the wire?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not Tried leaving it in gear Dan, will try that tomorrow morning

Imagewerx, I think you may be on to something, it certainly sounds like the most logical reason. Any idea how I could check it out?

·
Super Moderator
50,238 Posts
[quote user="superkopite"]

Imagewerx, I think you may be on to something, it certainly sounds like the most logical reason. Any idea how I could check it out?

[/quote]

Errrmmmm open the bonnet and have a look?

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Earthing issue? wiggling the gear stick could jog an earth creating a connection.

Also as Imagewerx said check the loom, give it all a good play with, check all cables. It also may not be obvious to the naked eye, i have a dodgy cable running to my coils, if you lift the cable it miss fires if you push it down its fine. (really need to get it stripped and put a new cables in)

Wiring issues can be difficult to find.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.