Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new R32 steering wheel and new subframe. I recently had the engine mounts replaced on the right hand beneath the power steering fluid. Afterwards I started hearing this sound when turning the wheel its like a squeeky sound. I'm pretty sure it's after the engine mount change. Any ideas what it could be and is it anything to be concerned of? I uploaded a video to to show it.

It's characteristics is the if stationary or driving the sound is there. I have tried adjusting the steering column and no difference is made. I don't think it's the steering wheel though it sounds like it's coming from there.

Any thoughts and ideas a super welcome as the vehicle is mechanically perfect since all the upgrades.

· Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, I mean it sounds like it's inside. Could pull the wheel and just turn the spline and see if it stops.
I have removed the wheel and its definitely something inside the spline or column. As I mentioned I removed the steering wheel and placed it lightly on top of the spline and the sound still occurs. Its something in the column or something. Power steering fluid is fine no leaks.

· Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Previously the steering rack has been replaced with an R32 steering rack. Only thing I noticed that was different was the spacing when the rack connects to the end of the steering column. There its like a big gap. Say suppose the car went into deep water it can pour into the footwell of the driver side. Either way I am unsure if this has any relation to the squeaking when turning the steering wheel. I can hear it is definitely coming from the spline area.

It is becoming quiet a irritation and I am hoping I can find out what is causing it. I hope someone can identify this.

Again, steering wheel was removed and lightly against the spline and turnt still the squeaking sound. At this it wont squeak then at times it will. It stopped for a while and then it just came back. Really unsure what it is tbh.

We can say it is a intermitting squeak. Makes no sense but the video shows it all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts