Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just claybar'd my car for the first time....very impressed with result.

However, on the tailgate there is this strange marking i have noticed to the paint, its a bit like a faint orange peel effect. Is there anything you can get that removes this?

I'll try and get a picture of it tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It looks like orange peel but it is smooth to touch, and i dont think it has been resprayed to my knowledge, but this is the first time i have noticed it.

It must be something underneath, because it has only become apparent after i claybar'd the car yesterday. I understand this lifts overspray, so clearly the tailgate has been resprayed at some point. And the d1ckhead who sold me the car conveniently forgot to tell me that. [:mad:] Arhggg! I'm p1ssed off now.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Goto a Vag dealer and look at most of the cars on the fourcourt, in the showroom, they all have that orange peel look. Generally you can tell if you golf's been resprayed by the absence of this.

Nothing to worry about.

J.

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Woh woh... before you go waiving the stick of justuice about [:p]
consider this - It sounds like the paint has gone on dry then been
lacquered over. Factory paint can be subject to this, especially on lower panels and corners where its hard for the paint to fall evenly.

The
fact its been revealed after calyabring only means your paint was dirty
before hand, plus you tend to pay a lot more attention to your cars
finish when claying as the surface becomes clean.

After PC'in
lots of MK4's I've noticed similar traits with paintwork, the bootlid
being one of the main places it seems. Of course, it could be a respray
job, and you should be looking at the area around the defect to look
for belnd marks (difference in colour - almost speckled as paint is
thined out), and texture differences.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Goto a Vag dealer and look at most of the cars on the fourcourt, in the showroom, they all have that orange peel look.
Somehow i find it hard to believe that J, would you buy a brand new '06 plate Golf with orange-peel effect paintwork?

No offence, but either your trying to wind me up, or your extremely stupid.

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
I think you'll find it's neither of the above, Dan [;)]

Orange peel texture exists on most cars to a certain degree, however
you have to look for it to notice it. My 53 plate R32 had peel on the
lower door panels, due to the way the paint was layered. So does my 02
plate Anniversary. Darker cars show it more than lighter colours such
as silver.

The only way to see is it get down on the floor and look up at the
area, which, lets face it, isn't going to be a thing people do often!

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Goto a Vag dealer and look at most of the cars on the fourcourt, in the showroom, they all have that orange peel look.
Somehow i find it hard to believe that J, would you buy a brand new '06 plate Golf with orange-peel effect paintwork?

No offence, but either your trying to wind me up, or your extremely stupid.
Yes your right I am extremely stupid I took the time and made the effort to reply to your post.

I tell you what Dan seeing as you seem to be a complete 4rse I wont bother replying to any more of your posts. You seem to have all the answers anyway..

I have an 05 black A3 and it has that orange peel on it, prior to that I had an 04 black r32 and that also had the same prior to that a dark grey/black MCS and guess what that also had the same. Shall I carry on through my car history because before that I had a 1.8T Gti in black and that also had the orange peel effect. Dark colours show it up the most especially when they are clean.

Like I said goto your local Vw or Audi dealer and look at the new cars and you'll find that they do have that orange peel effect. It caused by a couple of things the first Mark has covered but can also be caused by spraying too much paint.

Oh and just to prove my point here's a picture of my drivers door and you can see the orange peel effect:

Posted Image

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fair enough, my bad.....just seemed like you were pratting around, sorry J.

Yes you do appear to have the affect on your 05 A3, but it doesnt look as bad as on my car, but then my car is 6 years older than yours so its understandable.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
You can get rid of any orange peel (or lessen it), all it usually takes is 2000/2500 grit wet n' dry and a rotary to bring a shine back to the paint.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Also, before going off on one against the previous owner, many car's get resrayed when they are shipped to the dealers. Scratches happen when they ship them over, therefore it gets a respray and then sold.

The previous owner probably knew nothing about it.

Orange peel effect was on my 1.8T the same colour as yours. Was worse on one side as the whole side had been resprayed at the factory after shipping. The C pillar showed it up more than anywhere else.

LOL at your attack on James, who was indeed, correct! [:D]

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I dont know who the previous owner was, i brought the car from a used car dealership.

So the guy who ran the place should have checked over the car to make sure it hadnt been messed with amd then told me everything that had been done to it. For all i knew it could have been rear-ended at some point.

I apologised for what i said to James, just thought it was unbelievable at the time that a new car could have a paint finish like on my tailgate. I guess i dont know as much about this stuff as you lot, hence the question.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Take pics of what you mean. All but the most ridiculously expensive cars have the effect James showed. My car has it all over.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
I dont know who the previous owner was, i brought the car from a used car dealership.

So the guy who ran the place should have checked over the car to make sure it hadnt been messed with amd then told me everything that had been done to it. For all i knew it could have been rear-ended at some point.

I apologised for what i said to James, just thought it was unbelievable at the time that a new car could have a paint finish like on my tailgate. I guess i dont know as much about this stuff as you lot, hence the question.
Not having a go at you here, but it is never the dealerships problem. They tell you what they want to tell you unless it's a legal requirement, i.e. it was damage recorded and under Cat C, D etc.

As for buying car's, it's up to the buyer to check it out, up to the buyer to make sure everything is ok. That's why people like RAC, AA and the HPI checks exist.

A dealer is never going to tell you anything more than you ask. If you don't ask why that door don't lock, he won't tell you. If you don't ask about the dodgy paint on the bonnet, he won't tell you about it.

A dealer takes a car in cheap, normally get's someone else to valet it, or takes it through the local half decent car wash. Then they make sure they have the relevant documents and put it up on the forecourt.

They don't take a car in, spend hours checking it for blemishes and faults and then put it up on the forecourt.

At least, all the dealers / used car places I know are like that. Never come across one which has stood there and told me every defect the car has, only if I ask will they come up with the info.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Okay heres a pic of what i mean. You cant see it that well i dont know why the picture didnt come out very well.

Posted Image

1 - 18 of 18 Posts