Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had these messages this morning when starting up.

STOP

CHECK COOLANT

SERIVE MANUAL.

I've noticed that the level had dropped slightly over the past 18months, so i probably just need to top it up yeah? Level was only about 2mm from bottom level, wasn't empty or anything!

Engine only ran for 2 mins so hopefullly no harm done.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I *think* this is farily common on the Mk4, something about the sensor getting false readings when very cold. Mine does it fairly frequently and it is always cleared by turning the engine of and restarting, then no error.

I took mine straight tound to Halfrauds first time, had it topped up, then it came back the next morning. Read it on here that it's a common fault.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
If it happens and the temp guage rockets up, i'd suggest that it may be the water pump (?300+ job at stealers)...hopefully it's just a topup of fluid required!

Stew

·
Registered
557 Posts
mine gave me thast message your a year, then one evening pop went the water pump. Get i on vag com. If the water bottle sensor is not faulty, then its probably the water pump. Get the cam belt, serpentine belt, all tensioners replaced. cost me about ?280 all in at a non-stealership. Commmon fault!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm confident that all it needs is a wee top up (not a top up of actual wee!)

I don't think i've got any coolant though so it'll be water. Can't see a glass will dilute it that much that it will freeze, its probably protected down to -20 anyway, and it doesn't get that cold in Notts.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I had this, but I was not losing any fluid. The temp was also fine. I changed the expansion tank, around ?10 and all has been well since. it would only do it on very cold days, when the car had been sat at work for a few hours, never when the car had been sat in the garage! (heated garage!)

The dealers said that it was a very common fault with the Mk4, hence the fact that they carried 6 in stock!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well got home (went to work in g/f's Polo Gti) and topped it up.

Looking at bottle, it was about 5mm below min line (shame on me for not noticing sooner! Doh).

Topped it up with 350ml water and waited a few mins, thhen started her up and no warnings.

First time i've topped it up since i had it, May 2003, so 20 months without topping up.

Any ideas on why it should loose water over this period, oil levels are always fine?

·
Registered
87 Posts
180turbo. 20 months without a service? shame on u boy. I had this too and it was the water pump. So if i was you i would get it checked out rather than take sum1's word on it "just" needing a top up, coz they won't be around when things go pear shape for you. Touch wood they don't and it is only water. Change the sensor and tank anyway.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Quote: posted by Baron Von Marlon on 18/01/2005 22:40:53

I have had this 4 times now, and strangely enough it always happens when I go to Croydon....is the car telling me something ?

It's saying " Don't take me to Croydon",lol.[:eek:)]

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote: posted by Rick18t on 18/01/2005 22:13:05

180turbo. 20 months without a service? shame on u boy. I had this too and it was the water pump. So if i was you i would get it checked out rather than take sum1's word on it "just" needing a top up, coz they won't be around when things go pear shape for you. Touch wood they don't and it is only water. Change the sensor and tank anyway.

Obviuosly its had a service, not far off its second now. Just meant to say that i've never had to top it up until now. The level has been gradually going down over the months, its not suddenly dropped.

I'm not like some women (who i work with) who have 'never' opened their bonnets to check water, oil, washer fluid etc!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Quote: posted by Rick18t on 18/01/2005 22:13:05

Me too, just a couple of weeks ago, needed the water pump replaced, timing belt, tensioner's etc so I'd get it checked out.

Approx two month's before my it came up with the message check coolant, which I did, and it wasn't that much below full, went and topped it up thinking that would be it fine.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts