Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been a member here since I bought my Golf 1.4 last year and have got some really good info just reading other peoples posts.

Basically car went for its MOT on monday and surprise surprise it failed- emissions, everything else is ok. I sort of knew in the back of my head that it would, as there was burnt oil residue in the air filter box when I changed all the filters and oil last month, the burnt oil seems to be coming up through the throttle chamber (sorry not very good with the technical names) and white smoke from exhaust when revs get high although nothing drastic.

Garage number 1 changed an 02 sensor which helped a bit but not enough, then they changed the cat, but it made no difference so they took it off again, then after putting some nice scratches on the wheels they gave up. Very unimpressed

I have sent it to another garage today so fingers crossed they will find the problem.....and not damage anything!

Garage number 2 have the emission results but from what I can remember the 'fast idle' CO was at 6.53 when should have been 0.30, I am not a mechanic by any means, I have changed brakes, suspension, starters etc but when it comes to the engine itself I am pretty lost.

Does anyone know what could be causing this? Garage number1 made a comment that it was 'slugging a lot of oil through, which is why they changed the CAT. Failing any ideas/ pointers can anyone recommend a GOOd garage in or around the Thanet area of Kent? I have already had one week off work as it is our only car and really cannot afford for the car to not be working!! Thanks in advance and sorry if posted in the wrong place! Dom

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!! Like I said I'm pretty lost when it comes to the engine itself. Im guessing its going to be pricey though. Can Piston rings be repaired or replaced or would a new engine be a better option? If piston rings are repaired will they last a long time? I haven't even had the car a year and its spent more time on ramps than on the road!grrrr

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ignore me. It just passed at garage number 2. Whitehall garage Ramsgate gets the thumbs up!! They 'flushed the system' and it went through no problemo. Now I can finally get round to driving the stupid thing!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts