Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I need some help and advice please....

My beloved Edition 30 was stolen on Friday morning - thieves broke into the house, took the key and drove off with the car.

I've been contacted by the police to say that they've found the car. It doesn't look like there's any external damage. But I have a few concerns:

• The police had the car retrieved by a recovery company and taken to their depot. The police now want to do forensics on the car before releasing it. Will I be liable for the recovery companies bill?
  • My dealer says that if there are any problems with the engine, gearbox etc (it's DSG) the engine management will flag it with a warning light and if there's no warning light there's nothing to worry about -true or false?
  • The insurers want us to use an approved repairer if we claim, I want to use the dealer so I plan to pick the car up myself assess the condition and make a call on whether I claim or not. The insurers will then send someone out to assess the damage. Is this a good plan?
  • The thieves still have a key to my car and know where I live. The insurance covers costs of replacing the locks but the dealer says this will cost about £1000. I have £500 excess on the car - presumably I'm just going to have to take the hit on this?
  • Is there anything else I need to consider?
Thanks for any help with this, it's been a nightmare weekend.

Jem [:(]

·
Registered
32 Posts
The only one I can help on I'm afraid is the recovery fees. Unfortunately you will have to cover this but will be able to claim it back from your insurers if you do proceed with a claim. Interestingly I was reading today about an interview with burglars who stated that they would only ever search the ground floor of a property for keys as they do not want to risk an encounter of meeting the householders. Thats assuming you was in at the time of course. I've got an edition 30 too and I'll be honest it worries me about being broken into for the keys. At the end of the day if they want the keys they can have 'em cos it's not worth getting hurt or worse for but worth considering taking keys upstairs at night perhaps?

·
Registered
119 Posts
yes you will be liable for the £500 excess unless your policy has a reduced excess for keys (i.e like the windscreen) insurance companies dont like you using a dealer because of the cost but if you put up a good fight you can win. You / Your insurance will be liable for the recovery of the car (several hundred pounds) I would ask for a full scan of the car and see if you can find anything and claim that as part of the damage, Maybe if your front tyres are low say they where not ;) how ever i think your going to have to take the 500 sheets on the chin as the recovery and keys and ignition barrel etc will probably cost £1500 or there abouts, Sorry to hear about that mate always a sickening moment when your car it take, Hope they catch the Ba5tards and Batter them how ever im sure they will be told they are naughty and forced to pay costs at £2,50 a week. Hope you get it all sorted mate

·
Registered
764 Posts
Your dealer is wrong, sometimes faults can be in the background and the car won't bring up a light because it doesn't think it's big enough yet. I would have the whole car checked for engine damage etc.

The keys and locks have to be replaced, unfortunately you'll have to foot the bill mate.

Unlucky mate, you just don't need these things, why should the Ed30 you worked for be taken from you? Not right.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
In terms of approved repairer you don have to use them but if you don't they usually don't sort you a courtesy car. sorry to hear bout this mate.

·
Chief Troll
15,990 Posts
No good to hear... lets hope you get it all sorted out! Make sure you get the locks changed before you get it back on the road otherwise your insurance will be invalid

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the comments.

The insurers (More Than) are being less than useless - every time we ring we end up with an Indian call centre operative who can't answer any questions if you go off script.

[:(]

·
Registered
503 Posts
Definitely insist on having the work done by a main dealer (it's your right), remember any claims on the paint/anti-corrosion warranty won't be met if any previous work wasn't carried out at a VW approved repairer, I've always found my dealership more than happy to offer me a car for however long the car is in the garage, insurance courtesy cars are usually a hire/lease car which can be very messy if used for a long-time (restrictions on mileage etc.).

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Mine's been in minor accidents on two occasions and both times I took it straight to VW, as the first time was some silly bint smacking into me a month after I'd bought it and second based on the first experience.

VW make money our of taking the repair on through the insurance, so play on that and let them deal with the insurance company, they're well versed in the law regarding where you can take your car to be repaired (which is anywhere you deem fit, so long as VAT reg'd etc). VW should provide a car, but if they don't, you just need to say that the insurance co approved repaired will and so why use VW - hey presto a car will be yours.

My experience is that VW will be happy to take on the job, deal with your insurance co and provide a car - I would say they'll probably be happy to recover the vehicle as well.

Hope it turns out well and you have your shiny car back soon.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts