Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone want to tell me why these would be a bad buy? Excellent price, no damage recorded, full HPI report and trade car.

We seriously are talking very good prices here.

But whats the catch? I can understand that it's been stolen, then recovered, but does that make it a bad buy? Also know that it would have to be sold on cheaper too.

Is it Cat D if it's been stolen? Does it make any difference to your insurance?

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
i can't think of anyting bad about the buy, especially if you plan to keep the car for many years to come then its very good buy. i was thinking this myself but what puts me off is the fact some dirty lowlife scum bag has been in it and driven the nuts off it.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I can't see that it would be a "bad" buy, as said previous probably had the nuts thrashed off it. Should be recorded as a total loss but that just means that an insurance company has paid out on it.  I'm not sure if it would be recorded as Cat D or Cat X.  If I could find a stolen/ recovered car of what I wanted I wouldn't be put off, I'd just get a nice Cat1 alarm and tracker fitted!!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Not sure on if it would be a good or bad thing, as Gold Golf said though, you have to wonder about how the thief treated it?

Your post did remind me of this article i saw though about a car on Ebay, have a look here

Edit just had a look on Honest John about it he says this

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well just spoke to the guy on the phone. He's very open to AA inspections and told me to do it before I even asked about it due to it's history.

The car was recovered from a garage 6 weeks after it was stolen. It's got the history, there has been no damage and no paintwork damage or resprays. The car was stolen with the keys, i.e. broken into the house, taken the keys job.

Can go and see it whenever I want, it's all ready to go bar a service, which he will get done at VW. Think he's bought it off the insurance company.

It's £13,900 for a 53 plate, black, 23k, sat nav, full heated leathers, sunroof and he says he wouldnt waste my time as I'm coming from Devon as it's just not his style. He's going to forward me some more pics via e-mail.

It's on Cat D. That's the only downside as the stolen bit has to be recorded and get's put on the register.

This could be a bit of a bargain. Only been on autotrader for half an hour and I was the first to call, as I was on the phone, someone else called for it, could here his mate in the background telling them about it.

As he's so open to AA or RAC inspections and reccomends them, sounds as though he has nothing to hide. Could be a bit of a bargain. He has the HPI report too.

·
Registered
878 Posts
CAT D is defined as-

1. "Vehicles replaced under 'new for old' schemes which would not have otherwise be treated as total losses"

2. "Vehicles that could be repaired by insurer, but written off to minimise hire charges"

3. "Construction write-offs"

My friend who works in the motor trade says that within a few years CAT D won't be an issue anymore, as so many cars are stolen, and repair costs are rising so high, that even relatively "cheap" repairs are not bothered with.

My only slight reservation would be whether the cars had the t*ts ragged off it down the M1 for 50 miles.... Hope this helps

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Well just spoke to the guy on the phone. He's very open to AA inspections and told me to do it before I even asked about it due to it's history.

The car was recovered from a garage 6 weeks after it was stolen. It's got the history, there has been no damage and no paintwork damage or resprays. The car was stolen with the keys, i.e. broken into the house, taken the keys job.

Can go and see it whenever I want, it's all ready to go bar a service, which he will get done at VW. Think he's bought it off the insurance company.

It's £13,900 for a 53 plate, black, 23k, sat nav, full heated leathers, sunroof and he says he wouldnt waste my time as I'm coming from Devon as it's just not his style. He's going to forward me some more pics via e-mail.

It's on Cat D. That's the only downside as the stolen bit has to be recorded and get's put on the register.

This could be a bit of a bargain. Only been on autotrader for half an hour and I was the first to call, as I was on the phone, someone else called for it, could here his mate in the background telling them about it.

As he's so open to AA or RAC inspections and reccomends them, sounds as though he has nothing to hide. Could be a bit of a bargain. He has the HPI report too.
Sounds decent.this motor is only 4 miles from mine so if you decide to come up to view let us know.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
buy a cat-D or private or from trade all r32's will have been driven harshly at some point in their life. unless you get one from new only you know for youself, nobody gets an r32 and drives with a sunday attitude.

but sounds a good deal to me. knock the price some more aswel!

oh come to think of it back in april this year a black r32 bombed it past me on the a3. come to think of it it was litterally going way over 100. i was doing 75 and i'd say he must have been doing 120mph at least.

not trying to put you off but never know. but it sounded amazing thou, i nearly messed my pants from the noise

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Like gold golf says, theres going to be no R32 that's not going to have been thrashed at least a few times. You just got to hope you get one that hasn't been too thrashed.

This one, he says was stolen to order with the keys. That puts my mind at rest a bit, as if it was stolen to order, they wouldnt have wrecked it in any way, as otherwise the thieves would not have got paid, simple really. It wasn't chased by the police as it was found in a garage. He said, as far as hes aware, the garage owner found it and wondered why it was there so called the police. Quality, I'd have thought someone had bought me a nice car if that happened to me!

Mo, you obviously seen the ad. You heard anything about the car place in question? He apparently works from him, but will accept a bankers draft in the business name (always a good sign that they are legit) and will provide an invoice. Obviously would have it checked over. Would hate for it to be stolen and not recovered yet! But cant really see that being put on autotrader!!

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
Hmm - dirty twos are stolen to order for 2 reasons in my eyes, armed blag get-a-way cars or to be stripped of all their worthly parts... has it been put back together with ebay bits and is soon to rattle itself to oblivion?

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Graham,

Check out the out the insurance situation first, I have a vague recolection that insurance companies aren;t keen on paying out twice for a car - i.e. stolen/recovered car so you may have limits on what insurance you can get on it.

Is that really such a good price for an R32? Surely spending a few more quid would get you a nice sound mtotor?

Thirdly whats the point in having an R32 if your not going to cain the nuts off of it! I know in the 12 months I had mine I did [:D] Drive it like a rental...

J.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
i have a point to make!

when your followed by the police, which you will be in an R as they'll like the look of it, if a check is run on your plate it will flash up big F off flashing red square saying info report, then you'll get pulled over and given a producer at the least. the problem is unless you write it to have this removed off your car it will flash up stolen, so you could get a bit of hassle. it happens to us sometimes and the drivers are usually quite understanding since it means we do find the stolen ones, but i imagine it could become a bore!

i've heard it affects the insurance too, but that could be an urban myth

anyway whatever, get the R and get some pics up

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I agree with Married. I dont necessarily see that price as a great buy.... its a good price, but then it should be for a Cat D (whether its never been crashed or whatever). A mate of mine sold his 53 plate R32 around a year ago with 45k on the clock, deep blue pearl, absolutely mint and cherished since day one hand washed every week religiously. Im sure he sold it for £14k..... now thats a year ago. Okay, so the mileage was slightly above average, but, im guessing by the fact you're choosing a petrol in the first place, that you arent gonna plough the miles on it?

Wait for the right one mate, i wouldnt take any chance on anything approaching dodgy history. Theres lots out there lets face it.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Mo, you obviously seen the ad. You heard anything about the car place in question? He apparently works from him, but will accept a bankers draft in the business name (always a good sign that they are legit) and will provide an invoice. Obviously would have it checked over. Would hate for it to be stolen and not recovered yet! But cant really see that being put on autotrader!!
The car seems to have gone now.Pm Me the broker/dealership details and ill see if i know them.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The car is a 53 plate with the sat nav and sun roof as extras. You couldnt get those extras, which are something I would like, but dont neccesarily need for anywhere near 15k I dont think.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.