Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had the wishbones, droplinks and arb bushes replaced and I still have the same knocking coming from the front end - seems to be mainly coming from left but I can feel it in the clutch pedal sometimes.

Anyone any idea what else it could be? What else should I check? What other bushes could/should be replaced?

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Could be :-

Front strut upper mounting / upper mounting rubber(s)

Dogbone engine mounting, the lower one at the back and under the engine.

Main engine mounting(s), located at the sides of the engine.

Lose brake caliper(s).

And some longshots :-

An engine / engine bay ancillary component that's lose.

The driveshaft vibration damper, basically a weight bolted to the driveshaft, could explain why you feel it through the clutch.

Could you define your 'knock' a bit better than just a 'knock' .... if you know what I mean...

Edit... Also what car / engine ?

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could you define your 'knock' a bit better than just a 'knock' .... if you know what I mean...

Edit... Also what car / engine ?

Cheers for the info, mine is a 1.8T and the "knock" sounds like there is something banging around on the underside of the car just around where the front axle is. It's only present on bumpy or uneven roads and doesn't happen when going over speed humps. Looks like the arb bushes are good so that rules that one out. The other wierd thing is that often I don't hear/feel it when driving over a pothole - it's like it needs a series of bumps to show itself - also every know and then it appears to disapear for a time and then reappear.... it is completely wrecking my head right now but as I'm having new springs, shocks and poly dogbone mount bush fitted I can get all the stuff you listed above checked over too....

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Front strut upper mounting / upper mounting rubber(s)

Dogbone engine mounting, the lower one at the back and under the engine.

Main engine mounting(s), located at the sides of the engine.

Lose brake caliper(s).

And some longshots :-

An engine / engine bay ancillary component that's lose.

The driveshaft vibration damper, basically a weight bolted to the driveshaft, could explain why you feel it through the clutch.

Is there anyway to check any of these without taking the the car apart?

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote: posted by JonJon on 23/03/2005 00:45:31

could be the rose joint link between arb and the strut

sorry for a dumb question but what's the rose joint link? Is that not the drop link?

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
do you have an uprted arb?

If so, they do tend to creak no matter how often you change the bushes. BAsically the fatter the arb, the thinner the bush to control it. Mine does it under serious abuse, I find wd40 ing the arb bushes helps a bit.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote: posted by simch on 23/03/2005 16:59:26

do you have an uprted arb?

If so, they do tend to creak no matter how often you change the bushes. BAsically the fatter the arb, the thinner the bush to control it. Mine does it under serious abuse, I find wd40 ing the arb bushes helps a bit.

Don't have an uprated arb - plus the sound is a definitely knocking. Can almost feel it sometimes. I think the gits in Advance Pitstop didn't change the arb bushes like they said. Gonna change them tomorrow. Also gonna change the top mounts and top mount bearings when new shocks are fitted. Fingers crossed this sorts things out.... but the wierd thing now is the knocking comes and goes and happens less now than last week.... cars, I'll never understand them [:)]

·
Registered
628 Posts
Quote: posted by shane on 23/03/2005 09:41:09

Quote: posted by JonJon on 23/03/2005 00:45:31

could be the rose joint link between arb and the strut

sorry for a dumb question but what's the rose joint link? Is that not the drop link?

forgive me for i am special and ginger,you are right.

but it's still a dumb question[:D]

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

forgive me for i am special and ginger,you are right.

but it's still a dumb question[:D]

same here mate... which is probably why I asked the question... [:D]

·
Registered
54 Posts
i had the same prob i changed drop links + bushes then the cv joints and in the end changed the front shox's that solved it

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote: posted by arnot78 on 27/03/2005 12:10:45

i had the same prob i changed drop links + bushes then the cv joints and in the end changed the front shox's that solved it

I haven't found the cause yet but next weekend I'm fitting new shocks, springs, top mounts rubbers, top mount bearings and a poly dog mount bush so I'm hoping it will be gone after that.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote: posted by Richard W on 29/03/2005 12:29:40

Not much left to change after that lot!

Just a thought but is there any chance the arb could be knocking on the driveshaft even though the car (AFAIK) is not lowered? It doesn't look lowered but like I said, just a thought...[?]

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Turns out it was worn front arb bushes. The gits at Advance Pitstop didn't change them despite telling me they did.... had new arb bushes fitted (along with new shocks, springs and arb) and everything is sweet as a nut!! [:D]

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Shame to spend all that dosh. ARB bushes are a tenner with modified clamps!

A known common problem too, any gagrage with any experience of Mark 4s would have known that one. I suggest you get some cash back of Advanced Pitstop and never go there again. The obviously aint got a scooby.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote: posted by simch on 02/04/2005 21:56:44

Shame to spend all that dosh. ARB bushes are a tenner with modified clamps!

A known common problem too, any gagrage with any experience of Mark 4s would have known that one. I suggest you get some cash back of Advanced Pitstop and never go there again. The obviously aint got a scooby.

Aye - in a way I felt violated [:(] 500 euro for new wishbones and droplinks that probably didn't need to be changed when a set of arb bushes would haev done the trick. I was always planning on changing the shocks. springs and fitting rear arb though.....[:D]

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote: posted by flynntech on 04/04/2005 10:45:14

Why go to Advance in the first place Shane?

Cause I'm an idiot [;)] I actually thought it would be a quick way to fix something reasonably simple... hence I'm an idiot. I'm gonna hunt down their customer services and have been on to the consumer affairs ombudsman so watch this space (I hope)....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts