Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi people, i've bought myself a 2000 plate agu golf 1.8t which is giving me a bit of a headache at the moment and i was hoping someone could give me some advice.

it was'nt getting up to temp (sitting at between 70/85 degrees depending on what the heaters are on and whether im driving or sat in traffic) when i bought it so as it was due a cambelt i bought a new genuine cambelt kit, water pump, (ruscher i believe metal impellor type) genuine thermostat. had it all fitted only to discover it still has the problem of not getting up to 90..

so i bought a new green type temp sensor from a local motor factors, changed it over to discover it had a green type in already. replaced it anyway.

problem is its still not getting up to temp, its getting to 85 degrees max and takes a long time to get there. my heaters work and theres flow into the expansion tank but little to no pressure when i undo the expansion cap even after a long fairly enthusiastic drive. i've ran it with the cap off on the driveway to see if theres an airlock but i only had minimal bubbles when i revved it and the temp gauge still would'nt go to 90. i can literally put my hand over the expansion tank and i dont feel pressure building.

my guess is im losing pressure from somewhere in the system? but i'm not losing a noticable amount of coolant so am i barking up the wrong tree?

any help would be greatly appreciated as this is doing my head in

·
Registered
574 Posts
Sounds like the thermostat is sticking open - but then you say that's already been changed. Could be faulty I suppose.

·
No longer a Dubber
8,211 Posts
I'd get it scanned to see whether the temp on the gauge is within the allowable range. 85C is usually within what's allowed, but the gauge does normally sit at 90. When you say it takes ages to get up to temp, how long? I know it'll vary on how you drive and what the crap weather is doing, but my AUM takes between 4 and 8 minutes at the moment to show 90.

Tony

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
alanbtl - the thermostat was changed for a genuine one which quoted as being suitable for agu's.. would it show up on a scan as faulty?

trl - it takes probably 10-15 mins to get up but then if i turn the heaters down it drops. ive ordered a cable so i can scan it and see.

madman - thats what i was thinking, the temp sensor seems pretty loose in the hose.. could that affect it, i re-used the old clip too..

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I'm having similar troubles with mine I have replaced the temp sensor an am about to do the waterpump an cambelt an thermostat, I am also driving an agu 1.8t

Any chance you could keep me updated with any news thanks

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeh course mate, i'm edging towards a leak in the cooling system now so going to get a pressure test done and see what i find.

hopefully a minor leak and a cheap fix and all will be well!

is yours really drinking petrol when you first start off on a journey? mine seems really bad but then even though its not getting to 90 degrees it seems to be reading between 30 and 35 mpg after 10 or 15 minutes..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.