Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there im new to the forum so Hi to all :)

I have recently just bought a set of 18" a8 replica wheels for my VW Golf. Basically what im getting is a steering wheel shake at around 55-60mph+ and sometimes when braking down from around 40mph+, anyone have any ideas as to why this happens?

I have to spacers in the front otherwise the wheel would be touching my calipers, i dont think that would be the cause for it or would it?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I now have this problem as well due to the 15mm hubcentric spacers I put on yesterday. Thought I would jump on the motorway and test them at speed and the vibration when accelerating 65 + is dire. So much so that the whole car rattles and feels extremely unsafe.

Rang ATS this morning to see if they had an on car balance tester and they have got rid of it. No-one around has one either so going to have to settle for a standard balance although I already know it isnt the wheels. Had 3mm front and 5mm back spacers before and there was a slight vibration but the vibration now is ten times worse [:(]

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Mate, you need to post a bit more info!! what size spacers for example, brakes etc. was it only doing it before you added the wheels, or was it ok before you added brakes and spacers......??.

I think your problem is related to your spacers and or the spigot ring sixe on your wheels, (the centre bore of the wheel). Basically if you've fitted some "halfruads" style non hubcentric universal spacers, about 5mil of so, you proabbly dont have the wheel centring on the hub correctly now.

ITS THE CENTRE BORE THAT CENTRES THE WHEEL! NOT THE WHEEL BOLTS!! If you have a chamfer on you wheels, and say 5 mil spacers, it will not locate on the bore, hence your wobble.

You need to get some proper HUBCENTRIC spacers, with longer bolts, unfortuantly they will be about ?120 for each wheel. Or, change wheels, brakes spacers etc!!

Sorry to be bearer of potential bad news, but unless you have a really really badly balanced wheels, (like 100g out), lots of play in steering etc, its most unlikely its wheel balancing, and you may as well save ?20 getting them all done, only to find it still does it. Sort it properly!!

Are you wheels original wheels, or multifit after market jobs.......? Are you missing the spigot ring centres? Some of the plastic spigot ring centres, (on inside of wheel where it locates on hub) can crack and it will not locate properly. Check them!!

Like a say a nit mroe infor would help but I'm sure your problem is wheels not locating on the cntre bore. I think the centrbore of a golf wheel is 57.4mil, but you can check using an online guide for wheel sizes.

But sort it out, whatever, this is potentially quite dangerouns and wont be oding your car any good a all with constant shaking!!

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I now have this problem as well due to the 15mm hubcentric spacers I put on yesterday. Thought I would jump on the motorway and test them at speed and the vibration when accelerating 65 + is dire. So much so that the whole car rattles and feels extremely unsafe.

Rang ATS this morning to see if they had an on car balance tester and they have got rid of it. No-one around has one either so going to have to settle for a standard balance although I already know it isnt the wheels. Had 3mm front and 5mm back spacers before and there was a slight vibration but the vibration now is ten times worse [:(]
First off, ATS..........bunch of jokers!! !!

You need to check you have fitted your hubcentrics correctly and that the wheel is locating on the hubcentric centre! use "engineering blue" or even boot polish, to chekc once the wheel is fitted it locating on the hubcentric part 100% and also mating flush to the spacer surface.

Then check the spacer locates square on the hub original hub, anything like a brake disc grubscrew that is proud of the surface, (damaged etc) that may have missed your old wheel as the wheel has cutouts on the rear, will interfer with the spacer fitting flush. You only need one out to cause shake!

Clean all the hubs off behind the pacers and make sure you pull the wheel up opposite corners with weight off it first when you fit the wheel, the longer bolts allow the pacers to move smoethimes and again not sit flush on the hub if you dropt he car off the jack too early.

IMO, there is just NO WAY a correctly fitted wuality hubcentric spacer can be so out of balance itself to cause this, its just machined metal with a low rotational mass. But it all need sot be flush or even a 10th of a mil on the hub centre will be 3mill out on the rim edge and cause mayhem!!

Who fittdyou spacers..........check them carefully yourself, again potentialy quite serious if they are wrong!!

·
Registered
423 Posts
I think your problem is related to your spacers and or the spigot ring sixe on your wheels, (the centre bore of the wheel). Basically if you've fitted some "halfruads" style non hubcentric universal spacers, about 5mil of so, you proabbly dont have the wheel centring on the hub correctly now.

ITS THE CENTRE BORE THAT CENTRES THE WHEEL! NOT THE WHEEL BOLTS!! If you have a chamfer on you wheels, and say 5 mil spacers, it will not locate on the bore, hence your wobble.
Ok, I think you have highlighted my problem. As I said they are hubcentric spacers. I ordered 4 x 15mm FK hubcentrics but as they were sold out I was supplied with 4 x 15mm Delta Mics which I was told where more expensive and a better quality. These also came with the longer bolts. But like you said, the problem must be in the fact that the wheel does not fit straight on to the spacer centre and stay snug. It moves around and therefore I have a feeling that the spiggot rings you have mentioned are missing? From memory I did not see any kind of ring on the inside of the wheel at all. My wheels by the way are after market. They are 17" Masitaly GTS.

[

You need to check you have fitted your hubcentrics correctly and that the wheel is locating on the hubcentric centre! use "engineering blue" or even boot polish, to chekc once the wheel is fitted it locating on the hubcentric part 100% and also mating flush to the spacer surface.

Then check the spacer locates square on the hub original hub, anything like a brake disc grubscrew that is proud of the surface, (damaged etc) that may have missed your old wheel as the wheel has cutouts on the rear, will interfer with the spacer fitting flush. You only need one out to cause shake!
The spacer fits square to the hub. Everything else looks in order so I will check the spiggot rings like you said.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
If you take the spacer off, measure the diameter of the spigot in the centre of the original hub. From memory its 57.4 but that may be ROver, I am not 100% sure!

You then need to measure the spigot on the spacer.....if its smaller, thats the problem, send them back and get your dosh back.

BUT, if its the same and the centre bore of yor wheel is different, then you have a problem.........its your wheels.

Did you have them fitted ebfore on the stock hubs......?? If its all new stuff, take it back and get them to sort it. New model wheels from good manufacutrers will be bale to supply spigot rings ot suit, but whether it be wrong spacers, wrong spigot rigs or wrong wheels, the wheel needs to fit nice and snug, (in fact it should be difficult to remove it should be that tight, remember a think smear of grease round the spigot whrn fitting, very think I mean!!! )

Once you have that done, your whell bolts only pull it up to the hub face, but the centre bore will locate it.......and it will be smooth as a baby's on the road too!

Good luck and hope you get it sorted fella. BUT DO sort it, this could be dangerous by losening bolts, damaging wheel bearings etc! eeek

·
Registered
423 Posts
If you take the spacer off, measure the diameter of the spigot in the centre of the original hub. From memory its 57.4 but that may be ROver, I am not 100% sure!

You then need to measure the spigot on the spacer.....if its smaller, thats the problem, send them back and get your dosh back.

BUT, if its the same and the centre bore of yor wheel is different, then you have a problem.........its your wheels.

Did you have them fitted ebfore on the stock hubs......?? If its all new stuff, take it back and get them to sort it. New model wheels from good manufacutrers will be bale to supply spigot rings ot suit, but whether it be wrong spacers, wrong spigot rigs or wrong wheels, the wheel needs to fit nice and snug, (in fact it should be difficult to remove it should be that tight, remember a think smear of grease round the spigot whrn fitting, very think I mean!!! )

Once you have that done, your whell bolts only pull it up to the hub face, but the centre bore will locate it.......and it will be smooth as a baby's on the road too!

Good luck and hope you get it sorted fella. BUT DO sort it, this could be dangerous by losening bolts, damaging wheel bearings etc! eeek
Thank you for your replies Simch, I apreciate you help.

The diameter of the spiggot is 57.1 and it is the same on both the spacer and the hub. It is deffinatly bigger on the back of the wheels as they move around when offered up. In other words they have to be held up in order to get the wheels on, they dont just sith there. The wheels are second hand and when I bought them the universal spacers they came with had a huge centre (they were not hubcentric) but the vibration was a lot less.

So what do you suggest then? A trip to my local parformance parts centre to see if they have the correct size spigot rings?

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Sounds like you need to contact the wheels manufacturers or a main stockist of them and order the correct spiggot rings for your car, . They should be able to do them if they are a universal type wheel with push in spiggot rings.

If the wheels are machined with centre bores specific for each application, I ama fraid you have the wrong wheels. Always a danger when buying 2nd hand!!!

Find a shop that stocks these wheels and see if they do a spiggot ring insert. If you find the importeer, they will usually supply them FOC is you ask nicely and explain it all! Its not in their interests to have their wheels flying off all over the place!!

If you really get stuck you may have to have some spigot rings machined up, or maybe get some from other wheels (with a golfcentre bore) and see if you can have them fitted......but they would need ot be 100% accurately made, or turned down on a lathe etc.......??

Best try to get the proper things!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Ok cheers mate im sure I can get it sorted. They are proper things. The wheels came off a Golf, and the spacers are all decent its just they obviously need these soding rings which I never knew existed!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mate, you need to post a bit more info!! what size spacers for example, brakes etc. was it only doing it before you added the wheels, or was it ok before you added brakes and spacers......??.

You need to get some proper HUBCENTRIC spacers, with longer bolts, unfortuantly they will be about ?120 for each wheel. Or, change wheels, brakes spacers etc!!

Sorry to be bearer of potential bad news, but unless you have a really really badly balanced wheels, (like 100g out), lots of play in steering etc, its most unlikely its wheel balancing, and you may as well save ?20 getting them all done, only to find it still does it. Sort it properly!!

Are you wheels original wheels, or multifit after market jobs.......? Are you missing the spigot ring centres? Some of the plastic spigot ring centres, (on inside of wheel where it locates on hub) can crack and it will not locate properly. Check them!!

Like a say a nit mroe infor would help but I'm sure your problem is wheels not locating on the cntre bore. I think the centrbore of a golf wheel is 57.4mil, but you can check using an online guide for wheel sizes.

But sort it out, whatever, this is potentially quite dangerouns and wont be oding your car any good a all with constant shaking!!
Hi thanks for your reply..

I have 3mil spacers at the front and none at the back. What the orignal problem was that my front wheels wouldnt move because the bolts were touching the caliper so thats the reason for the 3mil spacers. There was no shaking before adding the wheels. Also i was told that my front brakes were not orignal vw brakes becuase they dont have the groove but this hasnt affected the drive when i had my 16" wheels on before.

The 3mil spacers i got from my local garage and they put them on for me. BUT the thing is my mates got the exact same wheels on a mk4 golf with the 3mil spacers and theres no play on the steering at all.

Today when i was driving down the dual carriage going 60+ the steering decided NOT to shake but when i was braking it started shaking, and then on the way back it started shaking when i got to about 50+.. Its not a great amount of shaking but its enough to annoy you and i would like to get it sorted.

As far as i can remember there was no spiggots on the wheels :S i remember i had to get them for my previous wheels for my civic but that was because there was a place for them to go but on these wheels it jus fits straight on the hub flush.

The wheels are after market a8 wheels but like i say my mate has the same spacers and wheels...

Further advice would be appreciated. Cheers mate.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
OK!! May I make a suggestion......If you have wheelbolts too lond so they go through and nit your calipers, the answer is not to put some 3 mil spacers on. This is a BODGE! you need the proper wheel bolts, proper length!!

A 3 mil spacer is not easy to fit correctly especially if its a universal stylee, which it almost certainly is! They have a large centre hole and you cannot easily centre it on the hub, it crops as the wheel is put on then you have a blance issue! But it should nto be wnouh to cause any violent shaking you describe.

The GOOD news of a 3 mil spacer is that there should still be enough of the VW spiggot protruding from the spacer to locate the centre bore of the wheel on. BUT AGAIN!! the wheel bolts do NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES locate the wheel centrally on the hub........!The machining is just NOT accurate enough, on ANY wheel you will buy! That is what the centre bore and spiggot does!

So do the same as the other dood! Go measure your centre spiggot, should be the same (57.1mil). Then measure your centre bore fo your wheel. If its bigger, you need a spiggot rinf to locate it accurately and centrally on the spiggot on the car. 0.1mil tolerance is ok, but .5mil will cause wobble!

You need to get the spiggot rings form whetever you got the wheels or from the wheel manufacturer.

Once you have correct spiggots, the 3 mil spacers are still a potential issue. A tip if you do need them (I'd et the right bolts and dump them personally) is to clean the spacer and hub, then fit the spacer by eye as centrally as you can with some gasket sealer or a thin smeer of silicone. Then let is sort fo go off a little and fit your wheel, do it up and let the silcone go off properly. When you remove the wheel next time the spacer should stay in place.

Don't take risks with cheapo wheels and bolts and pacers though,. If you are not 100% sure its all ok, sell the wheels on ebay and buy some new proper fitting wheels and bolts.

BTW I have no idea what you mean about proper VW brakes having grooves.......??!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Smich, thanks for your advice on this. Today I managed to get my hands on some spigot rings. Amazingly my local performance shop had them on the shelf and they were the only ones they had. Purchased them for a tenner and fitted straight away.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

No vibration at all on normal driving now and steering feels so much more fluid. I thought it was completely cured until I hit the motorway and gave it some stick. The vibration is still there but I would say at about half the intensity as it was before. On the way back I stopped at a tyre centre and the guy there told me I would be wasting my time and my money on getting the wheels balanced. He said I really need on an car test but there isn't one in Swansea.

So I guess for the time being I will just changed the wheels back to standard when I need to go on motorway trips. I don't normally need to use it so its no big problem. I am just happy that on day to day driving the car feels as nice as it used to.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Mate, what a result!! You obviously did a good thing for someone once, karma was on your side for the trip to the performace shop today!

Its amazing what a difference a few cheap bits of plastic make, aint it!! But it sounds to me like you may have either one still badly balanced wheel, possibly a warped disc, (is there any vibration when applying the brakes lightly from higher speed??) or possibly a spiggot ring not 100% seated?

Its also possibly that something is slightly worn now on the steering or suspension from all the wobbling you were getting....?

Personally, I would still get your wheels balanced, by a proper good tyre place, (ask for recommendations if you need to). I dont mean any disrespect to anyone you went to before, but they should have told you about the centrebore problem.....!

You should maybe also try your stock wheels with your spacers and without spiggot rings....? But be careful that the wheel bolts are the same type, most aftermarket wheels come with tapers bolts, (a flat taper on the head that snugs up to the wheel) whereas stock VW bolts are "rounded taper" bolts. If you use the wrong bolts you could have them coming undone, so be careful as you will need your long bolts to work with the spacers...!!

If your stock wheels vibrate with the spacers, and no spiggot rings, its clearly the spacers causing it. Of sourse you need to be 100% they are central on the hub too, a badly machines one will be the same as the missing spiggot rings, if you see what I mean....

What make are the Spacers again...?

Well done for getting it partially sorted though!!

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Yeah sorry man, I re read your psot so I eddited my response a bit!! !!

Those spigot rings maybe look a little bit "flexy" if you see what I mean on the taper that fits over the spacer spiggot? Is there a chance when you fitted the wheels, maybe one of the wheels sagged a bit and just flattened that spiggot ring a bit before you torqued it up...?

Maybe try jacking each wheel up, then lossening the bolts a bit, give it a spin then try to pinch them up again, let it down and torque them up??

did you try the wheel manufacturers to see if they did replacement spiggots...?

·
Registered
423 Posts
Once again, thanks for taking the time out to reply.

Its also possibly that something is slightly worn now on the steering or suspension from all the wobbling you were getting....?
Could be but looking down all other avenues before I go there. Got a service coming up so will throw that in to the loop and also CV joints if it is not sorted out by then.

Personally, I would still get your wheels balanced, by a proper good tyre place, (ask for recommendations if you need to). I dont mean any disrespect to anyone you went to before, but they should have told you about the centrebore problem.....!
Since I have had the wheels they have never been to the tyre specialists so a visit is in order I think.

You should maybe also try your stock wheels with your spacers and without spiggot rings....? But be careful that the wheel bolts are the same type, most aftermarket wheels come with tapers bolts, (a flat taper on the head that snugs up to the wheel) whereas stock VW bolts are "rounded taper" bolts. If you use the wrong bolts you could have them coming undone, so be careful as you will need your long bolts to work with the spacers...!!
Yeh, it is something I have been meaning to do since the problem started. I will try the stock wheels without spacers first and then with to see what happend. That really will narrow down any problems which may be causing it. I really should have done it by now but havnt really had that amount of time to take off - put on - head for motorway etc but will on the weekend. First thing I did when the spacers arrived was to check the bolts were the same type with the rounded taper.

If your stock wheels vibrate with the spacers, and no spiggot rings, its clearly the spacers causing it. Of sourse you need to be 100% they are central on the hub too, a badly machines one will be the same as the missing spiggot rings, if you see what I mean.... What make are the Spacers again...?
They are Delta Mics, manufactured in France. I was told by the VW performance place they came from that these are what they are now using on their cars rather than FK's. I will try them with stock wheels, like you said if the problem then re-occurs they will be straight on the bay and I will be splashing out on other ones. Can you recommend any?

Those spigot rings maybe look a little bit "flexy" if you see what I mean on the taper that fits over the spacer spiggot? Is there a chance when you fitted the wheels, maybe one of the wheels sagged a bit and just flattened that spiggot ring a bit before you torqued it up...? Maybe try jacking each wheel up, then lossening the bolts a bit, give it a spin then try to pinch them up again, let it down and torque them up??
Yeh they are not too tough, would deffinatly flex under weight. I'll do all the other stuff first, if the stock wheels dont vibrate with the spacers then I will look in to this as well as the getting the wheels balanced.

Its trial and error isnt it really but I think deffinatly worth spending time over. I rember the days where I could accelerate on the motor way from 70 to 90 quite easily and the car would just feel like it was flowing. I dont do a lot of motorway driving right now and prefer the look of the car with wheels and spacers so really want to keep them on rather than getting rid and opting for comfort but like I said it is now only on the motorway. Im determined to get it sorted though, im not going to let it defeat me as there is no point carrying on as though it is fine when really it is not. Cant be changing the wheels etc every time I want to jump on the motorway so watch this space. Really appreciate your help on the matter, should help a few other members as well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts