Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have managed to do it but the manufacturers have been crafty because when you remove your old steering wheel it is already pre-wired for the multi function system, so all you really need to do is buy the multi-function buttons for the wheel and hey presto youve just saved a fortune![H]

·
Registered
246 Posts
I have managed to do it but the manufacturers have been crafty because when you remove your old steering wheel it is already pre-wired for the multi function system, so all you really need to do is buy the multi-function buttons for the wheel and hey presto youve just saved a fortune![H]
Anyone got the infor if this is the same for the GT TDI

Would make a nice mod thats not expensive

·
Registered
246 Posts
If youve got the multi function display in the dash and operate it with the wiper stalk.
Well thats standard on the GT TDI so yea :)

so all i need to do is ask parts to get tme the bits in and take there weel to bits :)

nice one

so before i order them should i check by taking the wheel apart and see ,,,,, but just how can i tell would there be some connection doing nothing ?...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you remove the airbag you will see a ribbon going up to both sides and under the blanks you will see a pcb if you do then bingo, give the stealers a call and order the buttons they will cost you about ?112.

·
Registered
4 Posts
hi there guys 1st post just ordered a r32 wheel , can any tell me if there a tut to remove the wheel ,and if i put the wheel with the paddle shift and vol buttons on etc will it fit my 07 gt 140 mk5 , its manual so i know paddels wont work lol, but will it control the radio its the 6 cd direct input one   thanks guys    pete.............

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hi,

I fitted a grey leather GTI wheel to my GTTDI a while ago so that my airbag matched... Didn't fancy shelling out for a black airbag or having a grey airbag sitting inside a black s/w.

There are tutorials kicking around (can't find the links but I just followed one for the MkIV) its pretty much the same and v.easy... Sorry I don't have any pictures to illustrate.

1) Remove battery -ve terminal

2) Turn steering wheel 90 degrees left. Put a little mirror behind the steering wheel and you should see a small C shaped hole with a piece of wire sitting on a tab. Push the wire (with a flat bladed screw driver) over the tab.

3) Turn steering wheel 180 degrees opposite lock and repeat

4) The Airbag should now release, unclip the ribbon cable.

5) If you are adding or already have mf radio control I can't help you here...

6) The steering wheel is retained by a M12 Spline Drive bolt in the centre. I bought a set from Halfrauds for ?20. Then took it back!

7) Remove bolt, steering wheel should pull off after a bit of jiggling.

8) Clean bolt up with wire brush

9) Place new steering wheel on boss, aligning the alignment marks

10) Apply lock thread to bolt

11) Tighten bolt (again, details sketchy but 120 N.m rings a bell but I would check this as my memory ain't too good)

12) Refit ribbon cable for hairbag, clip airbag back in, refit battery -ve terminal.

13) (OPTIONAL) Wipe brow and gave prayer of thanks that airbag didn't deploy.

HTH,

fM

EDIT: Found Foxy's tutorial on fitting CC to a MkIV. The first bit on steering wheel removal is the same as the MkV. Also, try using the Search button up there near the top as there are shed-loads of posts about this!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I fitted my multi function wheel, and it works fine, but my power steering and traction control stopped working, tried turning wheel from side to side with no luck, went to stealer's today and vag-com wouldn't clear faults, they've quoted me ?141+ and they want car for half day mini-mun, anyone help please

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Hi Kirsty,

I done this a few weeks back and the same thing happened to me.

Did you change the steering wheel control module?

If so that actual control module is not setup for basic settings i.e power steering.

Unless you or you know someone with VAG COM it will save you a trip down to the dealer.

I had mine done from the dealer and they only charged me ?40.

They are trying to rip you off.

If you tell them exactly what to do they will charge you a lot less.

I actually said to them that the Steering Wheel controll module needs to be setup with basic settings because it was changed.

It only took them 10 mins to sort.

Hope this helps

Cheers

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks for that,  Kristy is my wifes name, its the only name i could get to store, my names Paul, I will try a different stealer's tomorrow, or if anyone in south or west Yorkshire can help.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Been to main dealers in leeds today, they kept car all day, they couldnt give me a price, then they qouted me ?146 plus vat, any sugesstions anyone.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Hi Paul,

Sorry about that [:$]

How about trying another dealer, I shopped around when my car had its first service and the second dealer beat the quote by ?175.

So its worth asking around, unless you know someone on here that will help you out with Vag Com.

cheers

1 - 19 of 19 Posts