Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Ave posted in the suspension brakes thread and done a search to no avail.
My problem is when I turn quickly to the right or reverse and turn off I hear this mechanical clunk noise it seems to be coming from the pedal area on the drivers side am not sure whether its the top mount or the steering rack or something else?

Secondly this may be related to the above problem but on turning quartly to the left (slow left hand turn) I hear this irrating rattle/creaking noise if I turn full lock it does not make it it's only when the wheel is a quarter turn off center pls can someone help before I go bonkers cheers
Nad

·
Adrian
4,149 Posts
i get a donk noise when going full lock too, i changed my struts last month, and did the bushes and bearings at the same time, so its not them (for me any way).

i just learnt to love it, one of the cars many quirks...

the rattle/creaking may be the PAS pump?

id like to know what causes this, but i doubt id bother fixing it unless it became a problem....

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
Jack the car up and give the wheel a good shake/wobble/rotate. Then look for play, feel for grinding and listen for noise.

This is the BEST way to find out what causes noises whilst driving as you can physically see play in components 70% of the time. If you cannot, it is likely to be the top mounts as these can be hard to spot unless driving sometimes.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ave tried the Jacking upmetjod problem is everything from cv joint bushes drop links etc etc seem fine I was thinking top mounts I mite change them and see what happens as for the clung it's occurs when not on a full lock

What do u think of steering rack bushes could the clonk be related to that???

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
Well when my steering rack had problems, there was clearly play visible in it.

Also, one of my ARB clamps snapped and caused the ARB to knock on the subframe....however this is a quick and easy thing to fix, and you can see damage by eye.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
am gonna change them too....

further diagnostics today.... outside the car the derv noise drowns out any other noises except for the beuatifully crafted pd150 engine ticking away on idle.....

inside the cabin there is a really annoyign vibrational noise its like a tinny heatshield type of rattle this gets progressively worse if You turn the wheel? a coupel f inches either way, if You put a tiny amount of revs the noise dissapears or maybe gets drowned out anyone got any ideas....

?

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
The vibration could be the steering rack bushes, as they are attached to the subframe.

However on my golf, the exhaust bracket on the subframe was loose and creating a horrible noise/vibration on idle. but was fine when you rev slightly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts