Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening all, Ive noticed when i go out to my car the winscreen is all misty. It can be stood for only 15 mins or so and its misted up. As anybody any idea what it could be I think I saw a post up here a few weeks ago with the same problem but i cant think what the fix was . Please help it will be much appreciated. Cheers

·
Registered
518 Posts
will this explain why my passenger side front and rear windows always get moisture on the inside and never any where else? front window also gets misted up

·
Registered
351 Posts
I'm not sure how much they are from the stealers, but GSF and Eurocarparts sell them for a very reasonable price.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
i think they about a fiver ive got to get one for mine , will be phoning them tommorow will post up the price [:D]

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Change pollen filter,that will fix it,take 5 min.
Apologies for my ignorance here but how will changing the pollen filter help if the car isn't moving and the vent / AC system isn't active?

Only thing I can think of is if the pollen filter cage and cover seal isn't working right and needs replacing!

·
Registered
641 Posts
Apologies for my ignorance here but how will changing the pollen filter help if the car isn't moving and the vent / AC system isn't active?

Only thing I can think of is if the pollen filter cage and cover seal isn't working right and needs replacing!
Plenum normally gets blocked with leaves etc causing water to ingress into the passenger footwell

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I don't have a drop of damp in the footwells or anywhere else in the car, but I do get steamy windows [:$] quite regularly.

Like the first poster said it is usually after driving it for a while with air con on or not, and then leaving it for 1/2 hour etc.

So if it is the pollen filter, why? I did read a long time ago on here somewhere about the rear vents (under the seat somewhere, come out behind back bumper) that they get blocked is this true?

·
Registered
2,003 Posts

Plenum normally gets blocked with leaves etc causing water to ingress into the passenger footwell
Plenum can be unblocked by hand or with an unfolded paperclip - if your current filter is wet for whatever reason, it can be dried also if it's not old.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I don't have a drop of damp in the footwells or anywhere else in the car, but I do get steamy windows [:$] quite regularly.

Like the first poster said it is usually after driving it for a while with air con on or not, and then leaving it for 1/2 hour etc.

So if it is the pollen filter, why? I did read a long time ago on here somewhere about the rear vents (under the seat somewhere, come out behind back bumper) that they get blocked is this true?
Could be door seals or seals around the sunroof, if you have one. Doesn't have to let water in but moisture is naturally carried in air and could condense in the car.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Thinking about it, it could be the door seals as it was worse after washing it the other weekend didn't put two and two together. My old Bora which was only 6months old went back into the stealers twice under warranty to have the door seals replaced but then the carpet was soaking and smelly!

Does anyone know if the stealers are the only place to supply door seals, and if not where does them and how much?

Also has anyone fitted them recently, are they just pull off, push on?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
If I recall correctly, the seats have a small fabric bit on them so if you want a good match, you should go with VW seals.

Do you still have the same Bora? If it's the bora that's been back twice already, you could phone VW customer service and say that you've had them replaced twice under warranty and whilst the car is no longer under warranty, surely the work carried out still is!

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
No it was a different Bora which was one of the reasons I got rid of it, it was a bit of a lemon had a few things go wrong on it. The MAF went at 11K and numerous other little faults that kept it going back to the dealers.

·
Registered
207 Posts
My cars been doing the same, I changed the pollen filter and its still been doing it.

However, I think ive worked out why its doing so on my car - you know the cover that you have to remove to get to the pollen filter? It would appear its been broken before I even got my car (bits been snapped off of it!). Now due to this, I think my pollen filters been getting damp, and could be contributing?

Will ave to get a new cover when I get a chance >_>

1 - 20 of 36 Posts