Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Pro tinkerer
5,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all and first off sorry to disapoint anyone thinking that their gonna see pics of me and the girlfriend making steamy windows, as that's not what this threads all about.

Basically ever since we had all that snow if I turn my AC off and put it on economy (I have climatronic control system) all my windows steam up. I have had the ar since august last year and it never happened before the snow. Am I right in thinking that the pollen filter has got wet and isn't drying for some reason, or is there another reason for this that's just happened to coenside with the White stuff?

Any help apreciated James.

·
Diesel isn't a dirty word
11,031 Posts
The pollen filter might be dirty and need a change [y]

Also check that the carpets are dry just to be sure you don't have a leak [;)] and make sure recirc is off to get some fresh air into the cabin and not just recirculating the damp air.

I find that making sure the windows are clean inside means they don't steam up as much as if they have that film of dirt on them

·
Pro tinkerer
5,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All the carpets are dry and I've never used the recirc function in any of my cars, also my windows only go steamy when I turn the aircon off, but if I turn the sytem off completely they don't steam up either so it must be the pollen filter. Also I clean my windows twice a month on the inside when I'm on nights.
It's due a service when I get paid so the pollen filter will be getting changed and hopefully that will be the end of it, I can't be driving round with the aircon on constant with the price of diesel these days.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Sounds normal to me (depending on ambient weather).

When you switch off the ac, there is a lot of condensed water still sitting in the evaporator core inside the unit until it gets blown out and drains out the bottom.

So the water inside the unit will still steam up the windows. Same effect as if you have damp carpet or something.

Best to leave the ac on to dehumiidify the air, but I believe it switches off below 5 degrees anyway. [:S]

·
Pro tinkerer
5,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If it's cold out the glass will steam up from you getting in the car...unless you're a snowman. It's just like when you do that other stuff in the car...sinner!
Ha Ha at other stuff, but it doesn't do it when I get into the car only when the heater is turned on and set to the aircon off. If it's turned off completely they don't steam up. A new pollen filter is on it's way so that should sort it out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.