Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i bought some new anni rims so had these in the shed.so after thinking what to do with them i thought i would have a go at refurbing them myself.

To my suprise there not as hrd to get back as i thought they would be.

1st off i coated the whole wheel in a coat of paint stripper,sounds harsh but got the laquer off a treat,once the laquer is off the wheels look 10 x better,

I then used some 1200 wet and dry to sand out the corrosion marks.

After that i used some 1500 wet and dry to shine the rim abit more,i have just started to polish the rim with some PEEK and some wire wool.

This is the result after about 2 hours work,i don't think it looks that bad needs some more work but cheaper than paying somebody else to do it for you.

What do you think ???

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
Looking good mate.. i found that peek polish was more of a final polish and works best with an orbital.. but an orbital wouldn't go down good on bbs style rims... have a try with autosol and a washing up sponge but not the scower part..

hth

Sat [y]

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Excellent, love a bit of DIY. I am currently doing some RC split rims, dont you get a great feeling when that shine starts coming through ??!!!

You just cant get a better felling than a shiny polished rim !!!! [H]

Jokes aside, you wont be able to laquer them after hand polishing as they are too smooth and the paint wont stick !!! so be prepared to keep em clean.

If you want them laquered, might be best to lay off the finishing polish and just use 1500 grade W/D then laquer, then compound and polish the laquer.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you want them laquered, might be best to lay off the finishing polish and just use 1500 grade W/D then laquer, then compound and polish the laquer.
yeah thought this myself,not sure what sort of finish i want yet i thought about doing the inner spokes black or grey and have the rest polished.

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
I can't help just looking at them rims.. i want a set of alloys to refurb as i remembered when me and sonny done his santa's this was the outcome...

heres a quote out of sonnys old thread...

Hi I noticed that a lot of people who have santa's always get some type
of laquer corrosion on their alloys like I had on mine when i baught
them they were like this

Posted Image

So instead of paying a refurber X amount of money I refurbed them myself all for £25, Heres what you need.

2x Project packs of Wet n Dry from Halfords £5 each

1x Peek polish liquid form. £10

24x Sanding Blocks £5 from local DIY shop.

So Firstly I sanded down the remaining laquer that was on the alloys by
hand, So I firstly used 120 Grit Wet n Dry on the alloy to take off the
mejority of the laquer, then I used a 400 grit Wet n Dry sandpaper on
the alloys to take the roughness out of the alloys and smooth it down a
lot. Then I used a Sanding Block to create the same pattern in the
alloys so i went up and down each spoke so they all looked the same.
Then I used a 800 grit Wet n Dry paper and again sanding in the same
direction. Finally I used a 1200 grit paper again sanding it down in
the same direction leaving a super smooth finish on the alloy. Then I
gave the alloys a wash down with some water, and let them dry off.
Heres a pic after what I done.

Posted Image

Now for the polishing I used a buffing machiene with an abrasive sponge
on it. I poured the Peek polish directly on to each spoke and spread it
all over the spokes via a cloth so all the metal has polish on it. Then
I used the buffer on the alloy the first time I polished the alloy I
used speed 2 so the polish would buff it quickly, once I polished the
whole face of the alloy I wiped down the residue of the polish so i had
a smooth and shiny surface, then again without applying any more polish
I used the buffer again but at a lower speed (speed 1) but this time I
concentrated and pushed down hard on each spoke so I got the maximum
shine out of the metal. Heres a pic of the final product.

Posted Image

But after all this DO NOT apply laquer to the alloys because it will
leave a dull appearance on the alloy and then you will have to do this
procedure all over again, just apply 4-5 coats of wax. Hope this little
'how to' helps all the Santa Monica owners. [y][y]

Sonny
hope this helps in some way.. (starts surfing ebay for corroded rims [:D])

Sat [y]

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
i've just bought a set of Vw anniversary alloys in the polished finished(7.5x18) under £800 .

I've also got a set of VW Genuine Anniversary Alloys (7.5x18) for sale that need a good refurb if anyones interested?

They are getting difficult to find in the polished finish.

Simon

GTi TDi Anniversary 1396

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah my new rims cost me £680 including 4 new centres and removel tool.can still get some more aswell.

they are genuine anni ones aswell.

Posted Image

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Hi Paul

When I rang your contact from your earlier thread, they said that they had sold out. Hey perhaps that was cause it was me!

Still I'm happy to get a set for a few quid more just need to find a sealant to put on the wheels to keep the worm at bay. Any ideas anyone?

Cheers Simon

GTi TDi Anniversary 1396

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Paul

When I rang your contact from your earlier thread, they said that they had sold out. Hey perhaps that was cause it was me!

Still I'm happy to get a set for a few quid more just need to find a sealant to put on the wheels to keep the worm at bay. Any ideas anyone?

Cheers Simon

GTi TDi Anniversary 1396
Thats a shame mate i didn't think they would last long at that price tbh.

i sold all 3 sets of mine within 2 days.so didn't expect tracys to last long.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Hi Paul

The chap I bought mine from, said that even VW delears were ringing him to buy his!

That's a turn up!

But they wanted to pay less than he bought his sets for, then sell them for £1600 per set!

Simon

GTi TDi Anniversary 1396

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quick update got bored of the polishing takes ages and is very hard to get into the corners [:(]
Anyway trial painted one in diamond black pearl to see what it looked like.not sure tbh obviously i will paint the centres to match but need some input from you guys ignore the runs :lol: was a 10minute job.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
they are sweet mate well like them and when the centre caps are done they will look stunning defo get the rest done an get them on dude

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Hi Paul

Cheers Simon

GTi TDi Anniversary 1396
You will not stop these wheels corroding regardless of what sealants you apply, trust me I have spent a lot of time researching this problem and have been on this forum for over 3 years - no one has ever found a solution!

My Anniversary wheels were replaced in December 2004 with original polished items, by June 2005 the worm marks were showing. I had waxed the wheels every 2 weeks and only ever used car shampoo (Zymol) and water to clean them.

I then got the VW Refurbs on warranty in August 2005 but these looked horrible so I had them refurbed in Black Chrome, I have now fitted original polished centre caps and the combination looks great IMO.

A member on here is having his Anni wheels polished and then finished in clear powder coat, however I have my doubts as to how effective this will be. Powdercoating will get chipped, just like laquer does. Don't believe me? well take a look at any R32 or Anniversary with powder coated calipers and you will see areas where the powder coat has chipped away.....and remember, the calipers are behind the wheels so in some way shielded from stones etc. The wheel however does not have any protection.

All it takes is a chip on the clear coat and that's it - moisture will get under and they WILL start corroding again.

A custom painted finish is the only durable finish IMO.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Not really i had a set of painted RC's on my old TDI for a year and they didn't have any marks on them whatsoever

1 - 18 of 18 Posts