Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some may know, Im currently in the process of doing a boot build, and whilst sorting this out, Im thinking of upholstering it to match the rest of the interior - so while Im at it I've decided Im going to do the lot, but what colour?!

The front and rear seats, and the cloth inserts on the front and rear door cards will be done, as well as the boot build, so come on, what do you reckon:

[Poll]

Im thinking of replacing the front seats with some uprated ones at the same time (then retrim them too), but everything else being retrimmed will be standard, and the car is black!

If you've got any other suggestions then let me know!

Cheers, Andy [:)]

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
black all the way mate, how about finding some r32 seats and we can match [;)]
but maybe some differnt colour incerts??
maybe baige and black or red incerts

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lol, I can't afford R32 seats at the moment [:p]

Look, whats that over there.. #Runs and grabs Lex's seats whilst his back is turned!# [:D]

I was thinking black at first, but now I'm not sure, I think the red could really set it off... Hmm... [:S]

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Go for a black half leather with a gray ALCANTRA insert with some sort of logo stiched in to them

when i do my car i will be putting my firm logo onto them but without the company name

just the shape of the car that is part of it

·
Registered
881 Posts
Don't do black, it'll just look like any other mkiv with black leather seats (no offence to anyone that has them, as i'd like a set if i could afford it!)

What i'm saying is while your at it you may aswell do something totally original that no other mkiv will have, stand out from the crowd so to speak!

·
Registered
632 Posts
I just voted other as i always have a preferance to paler colours. Cream or white with maybe a black piping to match the car.Would make the car a brighter place to be.[H]

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dent - Black and grey is a possibility, as the two colours Im using to 'colour-code' on the outside of the car, and parts of the inside are black and grey, so it would match! I dont want alcantara though, as I had my last boot install upholstered in this, so think I'll go for somethng else this time!

Dibs - Thats exactly what Im thinking, but I don't want it to be too lairy, like you see some modified cars; just something different but fitting!

I've been looking round at a few fabric websites, and the darker red leather is taking my fancy... And it would be different hmmm... Lol [:)]

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just voted other as i always have a preferance to paler colours. Cream or white with maybe a black piping to match the car.Would make the car a brighter place to be.[H]
Lol, unfortunately I want to take it the other way - I've already dyed all the headlining and parts so they're black and dark metallic grey! And knowing me being a bit grubby working etc. cream or white is a definate no-no! Although I suppose leather is easy to clean!

Thanks for the input though! [Y]

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well Im still thinking about this... Found this picture which I thought I'd share with you... Im thinking more and more that red and black is the way forward...

[:D]

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
i have changed my mind, that red is nice and different but i think it should be a tad darker red, there was a photo on the photos section when this guy made thr seats red and looked mental
lex

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, well looking at the poll most people are going with black... Im pretty much sold out on the red now though! But there is still time for me to change my mind...

Well, now the hard work starts....

Picked up a set of sports seats (front and rear) tonight - (ebay bargain, ?80 [;)] They were meant to be Recaro's, but for that amount, I'm not complaining!) Apart from being very dusty, and having some tiny flecks of white paint on them, there was no damage, not that that matters anyway...

Posted Image

Posted Image

So, once I got the seats back and cleaned up a bit, I then started stripping off all the covers ready to start making the new ones!

Posted Image

Posted Image

The next step is to mark the covers so I know how the pieces fit together, and then pick the threads apart which will eventually give me a huge jigsaw of pieces, then its a simple matter of marking out the new material, cutting to shape, and sewing together....... [:D] Its not fun if its not a challenge eh [;)]

I'll post some more progress when I decide on the colour of the fabric, and get some ordered! On that note, does anyone have friends in the leather/fabric business [;)][;)]

Andy [:)]

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
even tho that aint recaros they are still amazing value for ?80,,
good luck with the re triming and hope they dont look better than mine [:p]
you should add some triangles of foam to each side of the head rests to make it look like a buckets head rest?
or maybe that will look tacky
the best of luckwith you project andy[Y]
lex

·
Registered
16 Posts
Looking forward to seeing what these are going to look like. Maybe black and red leather/alcantara? Especially if you've got red highlights on something like the calipers.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Go for a black half leather with a gray ALCANTRA insert with some sort of logo stiched in to them

when i do my car i will be putting my firm logo onto them but without the company name

just the shape of the car that is part of it
Nail on the head there! Except I wouldn't bother with the logo personally, unless I had recaro's or something....

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
LOL i have the RECARO?S [:p]

Plus i will be doing the roof liner black with the night lights in under the seats and in the rear reading lights on the roof[;)]

(Like the W8 light)

should look nice

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Lucky Sod! I remember seeing somewhere that somebody had re-trimmed their interior in a dark red with a contrasting colour stitch. It was stitched together in a style I think they called baseball... I'll dig some pics out if I can find some!!

EDIT:

Found this, it's kind of what I was trying to bleat on about!

Posted Image

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Looking forward to seeing what these are
going to look like. Maybe black and red leather/alcantara? Especially
if you've got red highlights on something like the calipers.
Exactly
[:p] I was thinking of doing the calipers black or grey to match the
exterior - but I think Im going to do them red (although I was
completely against this, as its quite a common colour for calipers)!
With those, the dark(ish) red of the rear lights, and the red seats I
think it should all fit quite nicely [Y]

Well, we'll see in a few weeks [:D]

LOL i have the RECARO?S [:p]

Plus i will be doing the roof liner black with the night lights in under the seats and in the rear reading lights on the roof[;)]

(Like the W8 light)

should look nice
Yep, I've already done the roof and pillars black, (DIY dye jobby [;)]) and all I need to finish is to do the door seals and sunvisors, (which I have from another car - but Im keeping a lid on them too for now [;)])

Cheers [Y]

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The baseball stitching looks mental when done properly! The last person I saw who wanted seats retrimmed like that was golfzzin i think... And in the thread he had about it, there was a pic of a similar interior and it looked absolutely crazily wicked (does that even make sense in the English language?!)! [Y]

Thanks for all the suggestions and comments everyone! [:D]

Andy [:)]

1 - 20 of 23 Posts