Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
MK7 Golf R
1,011 Posts
Went to Inchcape Telford (Big mistake I know) to ask about lowering springs for my Bora.

The reply was that VW never have and never will do lowered springs for any of its models[:cool:]

Well thats funny cos I used to have a Polo sport with sports suspension that was 15mm lower i said. He said it wouldn't have been lower just stiffer????? What so thats why when it was parked next to a normal polo it was lower??

What I want toknow is can i get a lowering/sports spring kit for my bora?

·
Registered
824 Posts
When I was having my cambelt etc changed 3 weeks ago I looked through the accessories catalogue whilst waiting for them to finish the job, they had the lowering springs in there for both the Golf and Bora, not sure how much the Bora ones lowered it by, but the Golf was 30mm.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Been watching this, I have a couple of questions:

Why do you want a VW lowering kit?

Is it warranty, price or staying OEM for insurance?

I have a suggestion and that's ebay. Find some Anni springs and shocks and use those, they're the best stuff fitted to any 2wd MkIV.

The VW lowering springs don't have the best reputation and are only worth fitting if you put matched shocks on. The reason for this is that when sports suspension was specified as factory fit VW put specific sports shocks on and the car handled OK. When it was specified as dealer fit it was just springs and as we all know standard shocks can't cope with lowered shocks, the car wallows and generally feels soggy.

If you decide OEM is not that imp[ortant after all then you can lower and improve your car much cheaper by fitting some good aftermarket stuff such as Eibach, Koni, H&R, Bilstein etc.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Been watching this, I have a couple of questions:

Why do you want a VW lowering kit?

Is it warranty, price or staying OEM for insurance?

I have a suggestion and that's ebay. Find some Anni springs and shocks and use those, they're the best stuff fitted to any 2wd MkIV.

The VW lowering springs don't have the best reputation and are only worth fitting if you put matched shocks on. The reason for this is that when sports suspension was specified as factory fit VW put specific sports shocks on and the car handled OK. When it was specified as dealer fit it was just springs and as we all know standard shocks can't cope with lowered shocks, the car wallows and generally feels soggy.

If you decide OEM is not that imp[ortant after all then you can lower and improve your car much cheaper by fitting some good aftermarket stuff such as Eibach, Koni, H&R, Bilstein etc.
i was interested to know about the vw suspension as im still undecided whether i want to lower it 30mm, and the 15mm would have been a good halfway point. however, upon reading that it would appear 30mm eibachs would be the better route to take. ideally i dont want to change the shocks, but if i do i dont want hard sporty ones. just a shock (the cheaper the better) which will work well along side the eibachs.

you mentioned about the anni springs + shocks there, surely they wont fit every model? i came across an eibach pro set up for a 1.8T golf + checked the part numbers on the eibach site- which were different. i emailed eibach and they then confirmed this. so there must be small differences in each model. and is the bora (what i have) non compatible with any golf items entirely?

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Ah ha, thanks for the update, the -15mm figure is the difference between a std car (S, SE, GT TDi etc with Highline suspension) and a GTi, the -30mm figure is to go from a std car to sports suspension.

The Eibachs are a better spring and many folk here have successfully matched them with Bilstein B4s, a gas shock that's a vast improvement on std without being too stiff or harsh for every use.

The Anni stuff is fine is transferred to a similar car i.e. 1.8T to 1.8T and PD to PD, but it wouldn't work if you put 1.8T springs on a V5 for example. Eibach are very particular and may have slightly different spring rates for the different models - if you check the shock absorber part nos on other mfrs sites they use the same shock for many models.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
by the time you add eibach springs, to 4 bilstein shocks the price would be up well over ?300, plus ?80 for fitting it all. i just couldnt justify spending that much on suspension regardless of how "good" it makes the ride.i assume its the bilstein sport shocks you speak of? i noticed theres bilstein OEM ones available which claim they're slightly firmer than standard shocks. would they be a suitable option with the 30mm eibachs?

also while browsing, i noticed the bilstein streetline kits. consisting of 4 shocks + springs- albeit basic ones id imagine. but this package was a very reasonable ?222. sadly, no mention anywhere for the bora, just the golf. but would a kit for a tdi golf fit a tdi bora?

at the end of the day, if biting the bullet and spending ?400 all in is going to be the only way, i fear the car shall end up not lowered. unless i just go for the springs on standard shocks.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
The Bilstein shocks you talk about that are slightly firmer than OEM are the B4s, the B6s are the sports shocks and the B8s are the B6s for lowered cars..... if you followed all that then you should be fine. The B4s are actually cheaper than OEM shocks and vastly better quality. I've heard the sprintline kits aren't that good 'cos the springs are'nt the best.

IMHO you'd be far better spending the extra on the shocks as well 'cos if your car has done much more than 40-50k miles your std ones will be goosed anyway - you may not think they are, but trust me the MkIV shocks are one of the weakest parts. ?400 for a full kit fitted is cheap when you look round and find out a set of Koni shocks will cost that much w/o fitting...

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
what kit would you recommend then, for as near to ?300 say, as possible? better buy a complete kit, or get springs from eibahc for example, then bilstein shocks?

what about the koni red kit?

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Eibachs and billies - koni red kit very similar I'd say - the Konis are probably firmer than the Bilsteins but other than that not much difference.
Remember the key part is the shock, it controls the springs action and if you've got worn or cheap shocks then you'll end up with a car that's worse than when you started.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the cheapest i can find the koni red kit for online is ?340.

where would you recommend for the bilstein shocks, to look into that option? you stated before about the B4, B6, B8 etc, which of those is the oem shocks, the sports shocks + the short sport shocks? the sites dont seem to go buy B4 etc.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
just came across a very interesting + helpful thread from mid august there, talking about the B4's from awesome gti. at about ?40 each, + ?115 for the springs works out very well. i reckon ill end up going for that in the future. thanks for your help richard.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I was going to suggest Awesome - Ade is very good and supplies the sports suspension ones which are OEM+. The bilstein website says they're OEM but as the OEM ones are so pants I'm sure they wouldn't deliberately make some gas shocks that bad!

As a guide:

B2 - OEM oil shocks
B4 - OEM+ gas shocks (the sports suspension ones are designed to fit the GTi with the factory sports springs i.e. -30mm)
B6 - Sports gas shocks
B8 - Sports gas shocks for cars with lowered springs

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
great, cheers. im yet to find a site that sells the B4's for a bora, but as the bilstein site itself says they are made, im sure a phone call to any shop will confirm they can get them.

my warranty is up at the end of this month, so i intend to wait until then. thanks again.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Do the shocks as well and on no account skimp on them, they are possibly the most important part of your suspension and it doesn't work without them, once you have the whole system upgraded your car will not only drive better, but safer. More confident handling and shorter stopping distance.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Do the shocks as well and on no account skimp on them, they are possibly the most important part of your suspension and it doesn't work without them, once you have the whole system upgraded your car will not only drive better, but safer. More confident handling and shorter stopping distance.
fear not, from richards earlier posts, ive now convinced myself to get shocks too. will go for the bilstein b4's and eibach 30mm springs. selling my wheels so will definitely be able to fund it!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts