Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got my pc, just waiting on the transformer, lead and plug, which seems to be taking an age! In the mean time i have got some polishes and pads from serious performance.

I have poorboys ssr2.5 and ssr1 which i hope to use to get rid of the swirls on my paintwork. The pads i have are be meguiars. They are all 6.5" pads, lake country polishing pad (white), a lake country finishing pad (grey curved pad) and a mirror glaze cutting pad (purple).

Since then i have read more and more about VAG paint being very hard, making swirl removal that little more difficult. So, realistically, what should i expect? What could i achieve with what i have, with the best technique?

Always seems to be the way, i think i've bought the correct stuff, then sure enough, i find i something that tells me i havn't, lol.

Any help or advice will be greatly appriciated.

David

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Hiya David,

How bad are the swirl marks in the paint? You may find that just the SSr1 will be enough to remove them. The 2.5 is for really deep swirls and light scratches.

It's not only the products you use but also the method. Vag paint is very hard but it's not impossible to remove the swirls and getting a mirror finsih, jus takes a bit of time and effort.

From the list above you have the right products/pads etc.

J.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
You have some great products there. Personally though I wouldn't waste your time with SSR2.5, I've found its only effective on a rotary. I'd try something like clearkote compound moose on a 4' cutting pad.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi J, thanks for that, just what i needed to hear, i was starting to think that ssr2.5 would not be strong enough. I would say the swirl marks are moderately bad, but im not expert, they have been on the car since i bought it 7months ago and im guessing probably most of its life (late '98 model).

About the method, i've seen this on the megs forum http://www.meguiars.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3526

This guy uses a 'slow cut' method on an Audi A4, is this the type of thing i should be doing?

This will be my first attempt, and im sticking with what i've already bought for now. If the results are not satisfying and i've done all i can, then i will try some other products.

David. [Y]

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Hi J, thanks for that, just what i needed to hear, i was starting to think that ssr2.5 would not be strong enough. I would say the swirl marks are moderately bad, but im not expert, they have been on the car since i bought it 7months ago and im guessing probably most of its life (late '98 model).

About the method, i've seen this on the megs forum http://www.meguiars.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3526

This guy uses a 'slow cut' method on an Audi A4, is this the type of thing i should be doing?

This will be my first attempt, and im sticking with what i've already bought for now. If the results are not satisfying and i've done all i can, then i will try some other products.

David. [Y]
Yep thats pretty much the way I do it with an initial pass at speed one to spread to polish over first!

Good luck, it'll take a little practice to perfect it [:D]

J.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Tabs - The Compound Moose is in stock again (although only a few due to 3 of the 4 clearkote shipments have gone missing :( .....).

elliott_001 - If you do want to change to Compound Moose, I'll swap it for you as long as the 2.5 is unused... Let me know asap though for the reason above.

We do have more CM on the way but it's a bit of a guess when it will arrive (supposed to be this week), and I'm away for 10 days as of next Monday so there will be a slight wait for orders after this week.

Cheers.

Alex.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wahooo, my transformer arrived today! Probably give it a go tomorrow as it's kinda trying to rain outside.

Alex, i'll keep the 2.5, if it's not quite strong enough then i'll buy some clearkote cm. Im sure the ssr2.5 will be fine.

Thanks anyway..

I'll try and get some pics up of my work soon.

David.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
*Strokes clearkote compound bottle* ;)

Used it on my Dads A6 at 2 weekends backed with the PC, really awesome results - I think the paint was even softer than my Mk4 was!

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I started using my pc yesterday, for the first time! I havn't touched the golf yet, so far i have been 'practicing' on my step-dad's old neglected mondeo! It's amazing! Because the paint on this mondeo is so bad it makes a great first time challenge for me.

I've been using the ssr2.5

Posted Image

i didn't have any proper masking tape [:$]

Posted Image

In this picture, the small section on the left has been polished, the rest hasn't.

Posted Image

I know it's not perfect, but it's much better! [:D]

I've already learned a few do's and dont's! I also seem to be getting through the ssr2.5 rather quickly, i've used over half the bottle, i've still got to do the back (boot and bumper), 1 front door and the bottom half of 1back door. Is that normal?

It's taking me ages! I must have spent about 4 hours on it so far, still havn't fisnished ssr2.5! What sort of difference is the ssr1 going to make to the finish i have from the ssr2.5? I can't see any hazing or dullness, i may skip the ssr1 this time. The main thing is that i've got the RED back, it was a dull pink before! lol.

TIA.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Right guys I bought a 1.6 metallic black golf a couple of months ago. I have to say i've been neglecting it - I still havn't got rid of the scratches. When I bought it I thought its only got a few surface scratches I can T-Cut those off.

Well you can't use normal T-Cut on metallic paint can you? You can however get metallic T-Cut which gave my car a lovely shine but did nothing about the scraches!

Can anyone recommend something that will sort out my scratches? I will need it in laymans terms i'm afraid!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Elliott_001 - You'll probably find you'll go through it quite quickly to begin with but, as you get better with the machine and know how much to use to the task your working on etc, you'll find it will last longer. It will also take longer the forst couple of sessions on your car but, once you've done it properly the first time, it won't take as long to maintain after that initial slog.

Cheers.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts