Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my SPS3 in the post, could any of you guys give me an idea on the best settings to use for Optimax and Optimax with octane booster?

The Revo dealer said not to go too high on boost and timing straight away or the ECU will shut down? Is this true? I don't know if i can resist wacking it up to HB9 + T9 straight away!! [:D]

Any advice much appreciated!

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Doesn't it say in the instructions.

I think optimax is somewhere around 5-7. 8-9 is for octaine booster and racing fuel. As for shutting down the ECU, i've tried mine on top boost and timing and had no problems. Obviously you shouldn't drive round on it all the time

·
I ain't no effin padawan
1,429 Posts
It helps if you have vag com, as you can log boost and timing at different setings, but generally mid high boost settings, and timing 7 (in winter) 6 (in summer) work well with your set up on optimax.

If you're going to use octane booster, then millers allows about 1 notch increase in timing, and 20% toluene allows timing 9.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah it's all there in the instructions but i thought i ask people who have used it so they can advise on what works well on a similar set up to mine.

Got it on timing 6 and boost 6 and it seems great!

Am i right in thinking there are two versions of SPS3, think i must have the earlier version if thats the case as it only has the option of boost settings 0,1,6 + 9..

·
Registered
354 Posts
That's the new SPS3, the old one had low boost and high boost settings.

Timing 6 is the standard I use for customers running Optimax, when using race fuel, set to 7 or 8 depending on the ron value.

Boost 6 is the standard Revo boost setting there are two or three settings above that, instead of the 9 the old SPS3 had. Check the Revo site out as it has the new values.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers Mike - So on the new unit you can only really play around with Boost 6 or 9?

Mode 3 Boost adjustment:

Range 0: Valet mode.

Range 1: Stock Boost.

Range 6: Performance Boost.

Range 9: Aggressive Boost.

6 seems better than 9 at the moment, too much wheelspin with 9.. If i run 9 for a while will it become smoother as the ECU gets used to it?

Cheers, Nick

·
Registered
354 Posts
Nick

As I understand it (always a worry!) 9 is going to be agressive no matter how much the ecu adapts. I have one customer who runs his A6 Quattro on Range 9 all the time, it's fun for short periods, but I couldn't live with it like that all the time, it's too much hard work in the wet and ice.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Im currently running HB3, T7 on the older SPS3 with LB and HB options.

If I raise the boost up more then I see the requested boost values raise when I log block 115 via VAGCOM but the actual values stay pretty much the same as they do on HB3.

Its either that I really need a FMIC to make the most of higher boost settings or that my turbo is giving it all.

Fuel wise im using BP Ultimate with Millers Octane+.

If you are using Optimax then Id go no higher than timing 6, mix in some octane booster then T7 will be fine.

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Registered
495 Posts
Gary,

That's just noise [:D]

Quote: posted by GaryM on 01/03/2005 21:14:29Its either that I really need a FMIC

Still not convinced her yet then [:(]

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Quote: posted by rich1068 on 01/03/2005 21:48:37

Still not convinced her yet then [:(]

Rich, she wont know about that one!!

Or the R32 front bumper to hide it, or the LSD but Im sure she'll realise theres a IHI turbo in there!!

I wish [:D]

·
Vendor
231 Posts
If you're running in a hot environment with inefficient cooling (read standard setup) and giving it alot of stick you're more likely to suffer from heatsoak running in higher boost settings. Higher boost settings are more aggressive in terms of power delivery and not everyone likes that, some people will run lower boost and higher timing for a more progressive delivery.

New style SPS3 has one boost range 0-9 settings, boost 6 is the equivalent of older style low boost 9 the higher settings (7,8 and 9) are the equivalent of running older style HB 3,6 and 9.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Revokev,

Looking at the vagcom graphs I posted above on the SPS3 HB9 in particiular, is the ECU requested boost values in line with what Revo 4bar SW should be asking of the turbo?

I assume if I go down the route of a FMIC then the actual values will stay with the requested just like they did on the HB3 graph?

·
Vendor
231 Posts
I'd actually expect to see slightly more Gary, it's quite possible that those settings are a little too optomistic and the ECU has pulled back. It'd be interesting to see what figures you see after you did a TBA. They're not far off though!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the info guys, i'm running boost 9 and timing 6 on the newer style SPS3 with Optimax and it's awesome!! Get lots of wheelspin but once it grips it goes..

Is it ok for me to keep the boost at 9 and just alter the timing from 6 (Optimax) or 7 (Optimax with octane booster)?

My car doesn't seem to be pulling back or hitting any limp modes but does seem to be making me drive like an idiot!!

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Quote: posted by Revokev on 04/03/2005 16:24:38

I'd actually expect to see slightly more Gary, it's quite possible that those settings are a little too optomistic and the ECU has pulled back. It'd be interesting to see what figures you see after you did a TBA. They're not far off though!

I ran a TBA whilst my coolant temps were at 55degree's and the engine off.

I then drove the car for around 10-15 minutes and performed three boost logs, two in High Boost 6 Timing 6 and one in High Boost 9 Timing 7.

These are the results I achieved though not too different to my original graphs.

HB6 T6 run1:

Posted Image

HB6 T6 run2:

Posted Image

HB9 T7:

Posted Image

Is there a higher requested boost figure with 4bar SW over 3bar?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts