Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, can you use rattle can { ie holts }primer followed by a 2k base coat? or do you have to use a specified primer for 2k paints?. thanks..

·
Super Moderator
50,230 Posts
No you can't do it in that order.You can put cellulose found in aerosol cans on top of 2K paint without any problems,but put 2k on tp of of cellulose and it'll react like a biatch.You can put a barrier coat on to seperate the two,but all things considered it's be easier to use all cellulose or all 2K for primer and topcoats.

Chris.

P.S. I hope you're not spraying 2K at home as it can be a killer if not used correctly?

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
2k aint a base coat is it?

i would not use 2k unless you are in a proper enviroment.

2k can kill. (no joke)

i have used it and will be using it.

2k clear over 1k base.

danny

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
chris when i did my bonnet i used.

base mixed with thinners and then

2k laquer.

by what you said it should have reacted? or have i got it wrong.

what primer should i use in future?

·
Super Moderator
50,230 Posts
Two pack paint still has to be thinned but needs an activator mixed with it before it'll go hard,kinda like runny coloured Araldite.Cellulose which also has to be thinned is air drying (it's solvent evaporates) but doesn't need the activator or catalyst to start the proccess.

1K I've always understood to be the same as cellulose as it just means 1 pack,2K means 2 pack as it needs the activator which 1K doesn't.

Chris.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yea im aware of the dangers of 2pk paints, iv done abit of research about it already,im just thinking about getting into it, as my passenger wing and rear bumper could do with being done, and with the money i would spend on getting them done at a body shop i could easily buy the guns and a cheap commpressor etc etc and it would be fun at the same time and i could also use them in the future :)

so which paint would be better for diy, or which has the best finish? im guessing 2pk is harder wearing ? as it requires hardener.

·
Super Moderator
50,230 Posts
so which paint would be better for diy, or which has the best finish?
Cellulose if you don't want to end up in a wooden box pushing up the daisies[+o(].2K is more difficult for the amateur to get a decent finish and is harder so more difficult to polish,if done right cellulose is easier for the DIYer to get a good gun finish as this is.......

Posted Image

If you don't get it right it's softer so easier to flat and polish.

The reason 2K is so dangerous is because it's got isocyanates in the hardener,which for any given quantity is 400 times more toxic than cellulose[:O].

Chris.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
nice job there, looks smoooth!, thanks for the advice, i will be staying away from 2pk if thats the case, no point in risking it when i could use cellulose. did you use a plastic primer on that? or just normal cellulose primer?

·
Super Moderator
50,230 Posts
Thank you,all covered in my build thread if you fancy a read (always a good cure for insomnia[|-)]) but adhesion promoter followed by high build filler primer and topoat.

Chris.

·
Super Moderator
50,230 Posts
You can use any other type of paint (in theory) on top of 2K because once it's hardened it becomes inert and no further chemical reactions can take place (again in theory).Cellulose or any other air drying paint is always active and can be "re-activated" by adding more of it's solvent (thinners) which is why you can't put other types of paint on top of it.

To be 100% safe if you don't know just don't mix paint types in one place and you won't have any problems.

Chris.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You can use any other type of paint (in theory) on top of 2K because once it's hardened it becomes inert and no further chemical reactions can take place (again in theory).Cellulose or any other air drying paint is always active and can be "re-activated" by adding more of it's solvent (thinners) which is why you can't put other types of paint on top of it.

To be 100% safe if you don't know just don't mix paint types in one place and you won't have any problems.

Chris.
nice 1 , that makes perfect sense,i will defo be haveing a dabble in the summer, lol your build thread "a cure for insomnia"?? i was looking through it for like 4hours!!!!! couldnt pull myself away! its like a story book! only better, every page i was like , aww what happens next?!! lol.The boot lock idea is amazing and you made it reality!!! love that mod! alot!.good work! very inspireing!

·
Super Moderator
50,230 Posts

Chris.
nice 1 , that makes perfect sense,i will defo be haveing a dabble in the summer, lol your build thread "a cure for insomnia"?? i was looking through it for like 4hours!!!!! couldnt pull myself away! its like a story book! only better, every page i was like , aww what happens next?!! lol.The boot lock idea is amazing and you made it reality!!! love that mod! alot!.good work! very inspireing!
Thank you,there's plenty more to come this year and I had such a stupid idea today that it's so secret I made myself forget what it is until it's time to do it[:cool:][:DD].

Chris.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts