Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning to purchase the anniversary kit for my MK4, and want to spray the kit myself. With past experience I found that the VW reflex silver spray paint kits are a different colour to my car (slightly darker than the rest of the car) so am planning to get a bodyshop to mix the paint for me so I can spray the kit myself...although have no clue about spray guns or which one to purchase for the job, some have information on pressure etc? Can anyone recommend what I should be looking for or a link to a gun I should purchase? Cheers

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I think you'll find that if you go to an independant paint shop and get the paint mixed like i did, then they'll most likely sell spray guns aswell. Just tell the staff you're planning on spraying the kit yourself and ask which gun would be best, i'm sure they'll advise you as best they can.

P.S. It doesn't matter if the gun doesn't display the pressure as the compressor should have a gauge on which does! [;)]

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
I think unless you're planning on doing a lot of painting, it might well work out more expensive. Professional bodyshops have dedicated paint booths and all sorts of gear which produces a factory quality finish, and it requires a fair amount of experience on the part of the painter, too.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
With practice, very good results can be had.

I've learnt almost from scratch this year and have done my bonnet and spare bonnet, front bumper, rear bumper and colour coded my valances.

With cellulose paint which is the most likely you'll use, the finish out of the gun isn't that great, the magic part is the polishing / compounding up of the paint.

Do a search under my name for some info and fairly detailed descriptions in posts I've made.

Posted Image

Photo above of my self painted front end

Posted Image

Photo above of my polished / compounded bonnet prior to fitting.

Posted Image

Photo above of my weapons of choice

Posted Image

Photo above of coded valence and self apinted rear bumper

Posted Image

Word of warning, now is not the best time of year for spraying unless you've got a heated garage or workshop otherwise you'll get a bloom on the paint caused by water condensing into the paint as the cold solvent evapourates. There is no way to cure bloom other than rub down and start again. I havn;t got a heated garage and confine my spraying to the warmer weather.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
I think unless you're planning on doing a lot of painting, it might well work out more expensive. Professional bodyshops have dedicated paint booths and all sorts of gear which produces a factory quality finish, and it requires a fair amount of experience on the part of the painter, too.
But saying that me and sonny sprayed his valances via spray cans and they came out looking mint. heres the original pic of the match we got aswell.

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
To be honest, by the time you've paid for the gun, compressor, air lines, couplings, regulator, face mask not to mention paint, thinners, laquer, finishing compounds, polish, polishing pad/buffer, wet or dry, tack rags, polishing rags, etc, etc. You may as well take it to a small body shop !!!! Unless you plan on doing some more work with the stuff you will have aquired.

Which ever you decide to do, best of luck. Personally, I like to DIY, just a great sense of satisfaction.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
To be honest, by the time you've paid for the gun, compressor, air lines, couplings, regulator, face mask not to mention paint, thinners, laquer, finishing compounds, polish, polishing pad/buffer, wet or dry, tack rags, polishing rags, etc, etc. You may as well take it to a small body shop !!!! Unless you plan on doing some more work with the stuff you will have aquired.

Which ever you decide to do, best of luck. Personally, I like to DIY, just a great sense of satisfaction.
To anyone thinking of doing it themselves, I'd say do it.

A bodyshop is fine first time you do it. But what about in a years time when your front end is all chipped again (6 months in my case)?

I was going to get mine done in a shop, but as I had the compressor etc already I thought I'd give it a go. Mainly as the quotes I got were in excess of ?500 for what I wanted.

So I bought spare parts, new pattern bonnet, bumpers off e-bay and did it. Easier to spray panels off the car as if things go wrong (and they did more than once when I was learning) you havn't ruined your car. Now I feel confident enough to spray fixed panels on the car if I had to.

All I can say is go for it, but NOT at this time of year unless you can do it in the warm.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cheers for the help...but what exactly does a compressor do and should I be looking for any particular type?

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Jamie, the compressor supplies your spray gun with the required compressed air to expel the paint onto the bodywork. Like a aerosol except your spray gun is reusable and so requires a reusable source of compressed air, hence you need a compressor.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK cheers...I'm thinking to purchase one of the fibreglass coated kits from bodycarstyling on ebay, would painting replica items (e.g. Oettinger front skirt/Anniversary rear valance) be more difficult as it is fibreglass? Would I still use plastic primer or another type, and is there any difference between painting one of these replica kits as opposed to an original item?

·
Registered
927 Posts
little difference really-still gota prep,prime and paint.

See Garfie's thread, he's just painted/fitted rep r32 panels from the same BCS.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
OK cheers...I'm thinking to purchase one of the fibreglass coated kits from bodycarstyling on ebay, would painting replica items (e.g. Oettinger front skirt/Anniversary rear valance) be more difficult as it is fibreglass? Would I still use plastic primer or another type, and is there any difference between painting one of these replica kits as opposed to an original item?
The painting process will be the same, but the preperation time and method will depend on the finish of the fibreglass products, i.e they rarely are a straight fit, as genuine items are, so prep will almost certainly involve some sort of fabrication to make the items fit, or some shaving and sanding.

I have some GRP R32 side skirts sat in the shed and they will require a fair bit of prep work, just to get the edges straight !!!!

Sorry Seraph, Garfie has just fitted genuine Anni front and rear skirts and GRP side skirts, which apparently were a pain.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
The actual paint process will be the same, but prep time and method will depend on the quality of the product and since we are talking GRP, I would suspect it will be questionable and require some work to aquire a decent fit.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the info, it seems people who buy replica sideskirts have problems, I think I'll take the risk of getting either a replica R32 front bumper or replica Oettinger front skirt (not sure which one yet-opinions welcome!), and an original Anniversary rear valance...would this look odd without sideskirts? Also got a Votex spoiler which I'll paint and fit when I get the other items

1 - 19 of 19 Posts