Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.

Has anybody had a go and successfully sprayed any 3M Carbon Fibre wrap? I've got some of that Di-Noc 3M Carbon Fibre stuff, and I want to apply some to the exterior, but t'll look a bit pants on a red car. I know people spray real carbon fibre, but not sure if it's do-able with the 3M stuff.

I've got (non-filler) primer, tornado red paint and lacquer-i'm guessing I need to sand the CF (fine grit)...

Any pointers welcomed...

[:D]

·
Banned
7,104 Posts
why do that? the film only creates a carbon fibre look, so spraying it gets rid of the look, so why not just spray whatever it is the colour you want?

·
Registered
915 Posts
LOL what the shizzle?? Its not real carbon fibre its vinyl [Y]

Stick it on looks ok I whacked some on my grill last week looks ok.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, thats what i'm trying to ascertain. I want to carbon cover my petrol cap. I like the weaved pattern of carbon fibre, but as the car is red, it's gong to stick out like a sore thumb. So I thought of trying to do something a bit more subtle, like covering it and then spraying/lacquering it red. The look I was trying to achieve was one that isn't instantly noticeable, but at the right angle you can see it's CF. Or, will the paint be too thick and the build up of layers just make the CF look non-existent? That was basically why I posted, to see if anybody had done it....

Catch me' drift?

·
Banned
7,104 Posts
not worth the grief unless its proper carbon fibre mate, but it might look good with just the film, try it, just pull it off if its naff.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool. I don't think i'm going to bother putting it on just as is then! I'll find somewhere else to put it, without chavving anything!

Cheers!

·
Registered
139 Posts
I had a carbon front end on my mini, and had that blown over with a single top coat of 89 flame red, then laquer, no primer, one coat, cant see why it doesnt work on the fake stuff

·
Registered
915 Posts
I had a carbon front end on my mini, and had that blown over with a single top coat of 89 flame red, then laquer, no primer, one coat, cant see why it doesnt work on the fake stuff
Can see the reason for painting the real stuff as then you get the material and aesthetic benefit, but just painting vinyl would end up with textured paint [8-|] lol

op- I think it looks good on red whack it on if your not happy heat it up and remove it.

·
Registered
7,359 Posts
you cant clear coat the dinoc it just goes black, tried haha

you can get the flap wraped in in a fibreglass weave then use tinted clear ontop

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Can see the reason for painting the real stuff as then you get the material and aesthetic benefit, but just painting vinyl would end up with textured paint
lol
Thats what I had in mind to be honest. I knew about the red carbon fibre, but I was concerned that it would look a totally different red. The 3M carbon fibre stuff is textured, and it is really good stuff, but the red CF I see on eBay looks like the cheap stuff I used to have in one of my earlier cars, which I personally didn't think was that great..

To be honest, cash is mega tight as I'm a fresh first time home owner, and I just like 'fiddling' with the car: i'm trying to have a go at doing something different, no matter how small or insignificant, but without spending too much dollar-something I can have a go at myself (I like doing things myself). All of that sounds like a recipe for disaster I know, I just had the idea pop into my head!

I might cut a strip off my CF and just have a go at spraying it tomorrow and seeing how it comes out. Nowt wrong with having a go I guess: then if it comes out rubbish I do give you all permission to say 'I told you so'! [agree]

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, my intrigue got the better of me last night. So at 11.45, I had some 1200 grit sandpaper and I was lightly sanding the CF.

I didn't bother with primer, I just went straight in with the red spray. I left it overnight. To be honest, when i sprayed it, I sprayed it nice and evenly, but it kinda just sat on the CF like water. So I wasn't going to get my hopes up, I just left it overnight to dry.

I came downstairs this morning to check it out, and it's come out surprisingly well. I've folded one edge in half to see if the paint would break and it hasn't:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Not too bad I don't think. I've given it a coat of lacquer to see how it looks when that dries. If it comes out ok then I might remove the petrol cap and have a proper go at it tomorrow... I'll get a pic up when the lacquer has dried on the strip.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Oh they of little faith!
Nice work matey, think you have probably just started a whole new trend....

Anyone tried applying a coat of clear resin ontop?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts