Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just looking at the new look VW site, there have been a few spec changes (including the GTI price hike mentioned elsewhere). I also note that the 'Sport' models now have 'Imola' style 16" alloys as standard (same as the current 'GT' model). I presume this is to ease the change when the 'real' GT model comes out in 2006 as all the current Sport and GT models will then have to be in the same class in the UK (they already are elsewhere, named 'Sportline').

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes I have ordered a new 2006 Sport and it comes with the same alloys as the GT!  The only difference now is the fog lights and the 2.0 badge at the back of the car!

·
Registered
126 Posts
I took delivery of a Black 3 door sport 21/10/05 with front fogs and centre armrest --and love it it looks the same as GT and with Imolas too--what I always request is no badges so on the boot I only have the GOLF name and thats it-then no one knows the model you have and as the GT does not have twin exhausts = simple and no extra cost!

The 6 speed is superb with 70mph on 3000 rpm at 43mpg ,on my same engine Civic 110bhp 70mph = 3,500 rpm = 34-35mpg.

A great well build car.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Just looking at the new look VW site, there have been a few spec changes (including the GTI price hike mentioned elsewhere). I also note that the 'Sport' models now have 'Imola' style 16" alloys as standard (same as the current 'GT' model). I presume this is to ease the change when the 'real' GT model comes out next year as all the current Sport and GT models will then have to be in the same class in the UK (they already are elsewhere, named 'Sportline').
Mmmmm... the plot thickens....

I went for a test drive in a Mk 5 R32 at my local dealers on New Years Eve. Awesome traction, engine and handling. They would not give me a guarnteed trade-in price for my Mk 5 2.0 GT TDI. Kept blabbing on about a 170 BHP GT TDI coming out which may adversley affect resale values.

I reckon the current 2.0 GT TDI and FSI will become Sport spec when the new 170 BHP GT TDI and TSI comes out. Probably a reduced price too...

So, if you're about to order a GT TDI - I'd wait a few months... [;)]

·
Registered
272 Posts
Am I missing something here?

So the Sport TDI now gets the sleek 16" alloys of the current GT model (which are very nice btw), so now the Sport and the GT are the same car?

Surely the Sport is still the 1.9 TDI model with 105 PS, and the current GT is 2.0 with 140 PS?

Sure they look the same now, but doesnt the GT still have extra 35 PS? (which makes a huge difference to the car! - Drive both to appreciate)

I'm not happy with how VW seem to change the spec of their cars every so often. When my GT TDI arrived there were some serious changes from the model featured in their brochure that I was sold on. Namely, they removed the dual climate control, stuck on a silly roof areal and changed the central storage section so there was no cover for the coin tray etc. What next? Strip off the Alloys? Fogs?

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Matt, the Sport and GT in the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:country-region><st1:place>UK</st1:place></st1:country-region> are in reality the same car, known in most other places as ?Sportline?. Within the Sportline range a number of different engines are available including the 1.6 FSI (115PS), the 105PS TDI and the 140PS TDI. What VW UK (ie: the official UK Volkswagen importer) have been doing is to give the 140 PS TDI a distinguishing pre-fix (?GT?) and pre s elect some of the options available in the range as ?standard? on their ?GT? such as foglights, convenience pack and Imola wheels. I guess they did this to carry on a tradition or increase sales. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>

If you want proof, consider the following:<o:p> </o:p>

Both Sport and ?GT? here have the same internal trim (Siempre cloth and metallic dash inserts) and body coloured door handles etc.<o:p> </o:p>

Both have the 15mm lowered suspension.<o:p> </o:p>

Both have ?Spotline? written on their data plates.<o:p> </o:p>

Both cars can be ordered to be completely identical by s election from the options list (add fogs and convenience pack to ?Sport?, you do not even need to change the alloy wheel option any longer as they are both now Imola.<o:p> </o:p>

And finally, have you ever seen either model sporting a badge that says ?Sport? or ?GT??<o:p> </o:p>

The VW guy Golf140 spoke to knows that VW UK have a little problem on their hands as the parent company have, rather irritatingly, introduced a ?proper? GT model, ie; a car built a such and with different internal and external features and a GT badge on the front.<o:p> </o:p>

This means that the game is up and they will have to ?realign? the 140PS TDI car back in to the Sport fold (where it really belongs) otherwise it is going to look very strange in the same range as a car that looks physically different form it.<o:p> </o:p>

And yes, it may affect values for us existing ?GT? owners unfortunately.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Wonder what will happen to the Insurance grouping of the 2.0 litre then? Will it drop from Band 13 to Band 11 like the eqivalent Audi A3 seeing as it is no longer a GT?

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wonder what will happen to the Insurance grouping of the 2.0 litre then? Will it drop from Band 13 to Band 11 like the eqivalent Audi A3 seeing as it is no longer a GT?
Very likely for new cars, but depends on whether or not the insurance companys back date the revison for existing vehicles that were classified as 'GT' models when new.

·
Registered
272 Posts
You know more about the VW fleet than me. However, I am still lost when it comes to the Sport = GT TDI thing.

I have a 2006 Golf brochure on my lap. In the back. there are a list of Diesel varients available. These are:

2.0 SDI / S 75 PS (dont know what the hell this is!)

1.9 TDI/ S, SE 105 PS

1.9 TDI/ Sport 105 PS

2.0 TDI/ GT TDI 140 PS

2.0 TDI/ GT TDI 4MOTION 140 PS

From this list, there is no 2.0 Sport. i.e. the best diesel Sport spec is the 1.9 litre 105 PS engine. Is this not the case?

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Am I missing something here?

So the Sport TDI now gets the sleek 16" alloys of the current GT model (which are very nice btw), so now the Sport and the GT are the same car?
The point is - they always were!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Mr Mark V....

Is the brochure wrong? Is there a 2.0 Sport now available? When I chose my car the only 2.0 TDIs available were the GT and the GT 4motion.

Whats the story?

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
From this list, there is no 2.0 Sport. i.e. the best diesel Sport spec is the 1.9 litre 105 PS engine. Is this not the case?
OK Matt - I will try to explain this in more detail. VW cars are made by Volkswagen (part of the VAG Group) in Germany (and various other countries). They are not made in the UK but imported by Volkswagen UK and sold here in right hand drive form. As with most car makers, specs and trim types and model derivations vary throughout the world but there is always a central theme. With the Golf, there is the base model, the comfort model and the Sportline model (plus the GTI) and these different models form the basis for the various ranges sold throughout the world.

Within the different ranges there will be different engines available. At the moment, VW UK imports the Sportline model and markets it as the 'Sport' (with 115PS petrol or 105PS derv engines) and 'GT' (with 140PS derv engine). The point I am making is that the differentiation that VW UK has adopted (ie: having a Sport and a GT model) is completely arbitary as they are both the same Sportline model. The names are there purely because they (VW UK) have decided to market the 140PS engined Sportline as a premium model and have given it the GT moniker. It does not change the fact that this is still a Sportline model (and you can see why in my earlier post as all features of the two models are identical apart from the engine). The trim and design of the car (and commonality of options and finishes) distinguishes the model, not the engine.

Now this is all well and good (despite the fact that non of these cars actually have a badge that says Sport or GT or anything) until very shortly when the parent company will release a new model called, wait for it...'GT'. Unfortunately for VW UK, this model has the same name as the one they invented but has different external features (the nose, exhausts etc) and different instruments and interior trim. This means that they will not be able to market the current 'GT' as a GT anymore because it is very different from the forthcoming 'real' GT and would cause a great deal of confusion. They only option open to them will be to revert to the original designation and place the current car back in the Sport(line) model lie-up, which, as I said earlier, is where it should be, because that is what it is!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Ahh see what your saying with the Sportline trim etc...

All I am asking Mark.. (are you a politician by the way?- you never answer the question!!!)

Is there a 2.0 'Sport' TDI CURRENTLY available????????????????????????????

Our man who has just ordered his Sport TDI who now has the nice wheels etc... when he sits in his car and drives arouns will he have 105 or 140 PS under his foot???????????????? Will his engine be 1.9 Litres or 2.0 Litres?

If he will get the 1.9 Litre TDI engine (which i am 99.9999% sure he will) I will have to object again to you saying that the current 'Sport TDI' and current 'GT TDI' are the same car. (forget the whole argument of 'soon the GT-TDI will be renamed Sportline' or whatever.)

So Mr Mark V. Please answer YES or NO to the following question......

If I walk into my dealers NOW and buy a TDI with Sport trim.... Will the car have 2.0 Litres and 140 PS?????????

Thats all I have been asking from the start! Its all I want to know!!!!

(sorry for the rant..)

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Matt, if I was a politician I would not be this patient...

NO - you cannot buy a UK Sport model with a 140PS engine (today).

YES - if you buy a UK Sport trim TDI today it will have 1.9 litre capacity.

But the whole point of what I am trying to say (and please give me credit for trying) is that the car that is now marketed in the UK as a VW Golf Mk V GT TDI will shortly have to be re-named as the VW Golf Mk V Sport 2.0 TDI. The reasons for this are as stated above, ie; the fact that it is not really a seperate model (in terms of the way it is built by the manufacturer) and the fact that the manufacturer is just about to bring out a seperate 'proper' GT model.

Underlying what I am saying is my criticism of VW UK (ie; the UK importer, not Volkswagen the manufacurer - there is a difference) for trying to artificially inflate the 140 PS Sportline model in to something it is not (a GT model) in the UK and then shooting themselves in the foot when the real car arrives and they have to effectivley reduce its market position by putting it back in the Sport model line up, where it really should be, because that is what it is (ie; a Sport model, not a GT, regardless of what VW UK's brochure says as this is what it is built as).

I hope this helps [:)]

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I will have to object again to you saying that the current 'Sport TDI' and current 'GT TDI' are the same car. (forget the whole argument of 'soon the GT-TDI will be renamed Sportline' or whatever.)
Matt, you can object all you want but the FACT remains that they are the same car with different engines (and one or to options) regardless of what the UK importer chooses to call them. This is not my opinion - they are both built as Sportline models.

VW UK could, I suppose, re-name the 140PS model GLS, GLX or something similar, but even that will not alter the facts.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Thanks for explaining this Mark.

I really do see what you are saying.

You summaried well when you said "the FACT remains that they are the same car with different engines (and one or to options) "

So they look the same (or very similar) but they are intrinsicaly different cars as they have different engines. So your earlier comment that the current TDI Sport and GT TDI "are the same car" was a bit of a generalisation and not entirely true. For me it was like saying "Ive just ordered an orange 1.4 Litre Ford Focus with nice alloys... so its the same car as a Focus ST". No.. it just LOOKS the same.. see what im saying? (not saying that the 1.9 litre TDI is bad though.. nice car)

I do understand though that the UKs GT TDI will probably be sold under a different name in the future etc. You dont need to explain it again. We were just getting our wires crossed.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you for that polite reply Matt.

These cars are, however, intrinsically the SAME model - again, this is the entire point I am desperatly trying to get across. The fact that the engines differ is not relevent, the Sport already comes with 115PS petrol engines and the 1.9 TDI, the model is not defined by its engine, gearbox or alloys - its the look, external finish, features, trim, colours, upholstery and available options that define the model. In the case of these Sportline cars they are all the same (you just s elect which engine you want and choose your options). The GT is simply a creation of VW UK and is no different from the Sport model apart from the engine, they are all Sportline models, as it says on the data stickers on all the cars.

To use your example - this is not at all like saying a Focus 1.4 with different alloys and orange paint is the 'same' as a Focus ST. The basic 1.4 will have different suspension, internal upholsery, instruments, trim, suspension, body mouldings, external body colour keyed features, glass tint, steering wheel, leather trims, etc etc etc. On the UK Golf V Sport and GT, all these things are the same - because they are from the same model range.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi Mark V & matt,

I have a 2.0 TDI Sportline imported from a VW Stealer in Athy, Co. Kildare, Ireland

The trim and spec are full UK, ie 2Zone, Auto lights/wipers, Imola, etc.., I even have a winter pack!

The car was only ?1500 cheaper than a NI/UK Main dealer.

My V5C(NI) United Kingdom Registration Certificate states that model type = GOLF GT TDI

and Acquired vehicle new on 02-03-2005,

no where on this document does it say import or sport (line)

But I have the Irish VW Golf Brouchure, and it only shows the following trims -

Base / Comfortline / Sportline / GTI

With the Sportline availble with the following engines 1.4, 1.6, 1.6FSI, 2.0FSI, 105 1.9TDI, 140 2.0TDI.

All these sportline models have Imola Alloys standard from day 1, and I know that my Fogs were an added extra

So basicly the UK sport model = european Sportline model (orginaly with different alloys)

UK GT model = european Sportline model with 2.0l engine + options as standard

Also to settle this argument and in agreement with MARK V, could all GT owners look at the data sticker either in their service schedule inside cover or under the carpet in the boot and read theTYPE in computer printout, you will read

"GOLF 2.0TDI SPORT"

1 - 20 of 38 Posts