Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

Sport Cam for PD150?

Mk4 Golf 
Tags
mk4 golf
9K views 58 replies 18 participants last post by  seankenyon2 
#1 ·
Hi there :)

I would to know if some of you have already change your original "cams" (GOLF PD 150 2001) to a better one.

A sport or race cam?

do you recomend any?

price and where to buy?

thanks you all [8D]

fLAVIO

#6 ·
a "Little diference".. is what?

10hp... 15hp in some revs?

now I?m making a Turbo Upgrade.

VNT 20 hibrid for PD 150 and a sport clutch for max 550NM.

its expected... 215/20 hp total.

a little bit more Turbo Lag.. but much better in medium to high revs.

thats why I am asking about the cams... and maybe later.. new "bigger" Injectors.

the target.. is like the PD engines in the VW Cup but for road use...[8D] ehehehheheheh

thanks

fLAVIO

#7 ·
Maybe 1-2bhp if that more like it for the cams. As for different injectors they're not needed unless you're getting the car over 250bhp. They also cost ?2000 a set compared with about ?200-300 for the 1.8T equivalent. If you're going for the vnt-20 I'd expect more bhp than 220 but larger turbos don't always work that well on the tdi's. Have you considered NOS?

#9 ·
You could consider getting Turbo Dynamics to hybrid modify your VNT17

http://www.turbodynamics.co.uk/

Garrett Turbochargers ? Part No 721021-0004 ? Aircooled

VW Part No. ?038253016G - 1999->

APLICATION : VW GOLF 1.9 TDI - 150BHP

Stage 1 ? MD374

Hi flow GT17 compressor wheel, cnc machined compressor housing, 360 degree thrust bearing, cut back turbine blades, lightening of turbine wheel for faster ?spool up?, modified V.N.T. turbine housing, uprated turbine seals. Other ?blueprinting? modifications. APPROX 200 - 220 BHP

Stage 2 ? MD376

Hi flow 2275 spec compressor wheel, cnc machined compressor housing, 360 degree thrust bearing, cut back turbine blades, lightening of turbine wheel for faster ?spool up?, modified V.N.T. turbine housing, uprated turbine seals. Other ?blueprinting? modifications. APPROX 240-260 BHP

Stage 1 ?925 plus VAT for new unit

Stage 2 ?975 plus VAT for new unit

Price to rework existing unit is around ?350 dependent on condition.

I am giving this serious consideration. I take the indicated power figures with a pinch of salt for an otherwise standard remapped engine. The weakness of the standard turbo is the bearing/spindle over 200bhp so this seems like the answer for the next phase of power. If it delivered, I would then investigate running higher boost and fuelling (using standard injectors). I too considered the VNT-20 but think space considerations and lag may rule it out.

[:D]

#12 ·
Quote: posted by bigalvw on 24/11/2004 17:52:18

just tried looking but site under construction.what bhp could i expect out of my pd 130.stage 2.does it have to be remapped as well ? or does it run on standard settings.[?]

Their website's always been like that. They emailed me the spec sheet which I have taken info from.

#13 ·
Well.. if I knew all that info about Turbo Dynamics before buy my VNT20 hibrid for PD150...

I almost for sure.. did send my VNT17 for a stage 2 TD hibrid.

I will Post my Dyno?s before and after...

and hopefully you guys wont laugh.. (I hope it will not be a Flop investiment)

I drove a Leon PD150 equipped with the same VNT20 as the one I have, and not much "lag"... but the "re-map" is form another "wizzard" of me.

Lets see.. what happen.

#15 ·
Im always cautious about power claims with a turbo upgrade mainly because the claims in power arnt the power you will get its the air the turbo will produce to support the power,u'll still have to get bigger injectors, custom map,bigger bore exhaust,bigger and more effiecient intercooler to name a few!!Ive been involved with tuning diesels for about 12 years and ive come across some very big power claims that deliver not too much.Just be careful handing over lots of cash for not much gain.

#16 ·
Bigger injectors aren't needed unless your going over 250bhp and at ?2k a set can't see many people stumping up the cash for them. Most people that are going down the bigger turbo route will already have better exhaust systems, we have FMIC's and hopefully better air intakes.

#17 ·
i am with tdi rs, and i would like to add turbo'd cars in genral do not benifit from wild cams as you have a restrictor on the exhaust( the turbo). most of the cams that are available for turbo'd cars are an improved profile but are fairly mild and do not give large gains. i am not awere of any cams for the tdi's.

#19 ·
I run a high lift and long duration cam in my 90hp base tdi and ive got to say it makes a big difference higher up the rev range,but on the down side the boost reduced as the valve overlap is more.The other thing is that without extra fuel a bigger turbo wont do a great deal.

#22 ·
Diesel's cannot rev high because the diesel cannot burn quickly enough. I've heard things about 'flame fronts' and the 'velocity of the explosion'. etc

Basically from what I can gather is that if diesel engines rev much faster than about 5k the engine will be reving faster than the diesel can actually burn.

And as Scotty says, 'you cannot change the laws of physics'

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.