Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started like this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v165/macros1981/DSCF2590.jpg

Process followed, mainly on advice of Jace, following pressure wash with megs Gold Class shampoo, dried down with megs shamee and drying towels,

1: Clayed the car

2: Glazed with Clearkote Vanilla Moose Wax Hand Glaze

3: Sealed with megs sealer

4: P21S Wax, but didn't wipe off

5: Spritzed the P21S with Megs QD, but didn't wipe off

6: Applied another coat of P21S directly on to the QD/P21S

7: Buffed off

8: Stood back & admired the effects of SPIT & SHINE, Extra depth & shine

9: (On the advice of Jace) Took some bloody pictures!

Next day after rain overnight

Photo of pre spit and shine attempt below, definitely has more depth and colour above IMO and has much better finish close up, well worth the effort!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v165/macros1981/DSCF2608.jpg

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ta, I am pleased with it, [:p]

Only shame is that it was fairly dark/late afternoon when I was taking the photos so the finish isnt really done justice,

·
Registered
936 Posts
good effort there dude, results speak for themselves, certainly gets the [y] [y] from me, might have to give the old spit shine a go in the spring, finding time and more importantly daylight is increasingly hard...

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
[Y] Excellent stuff (blows & polishes nails on t-shirt)

Another tip, leave your QD in the fridge overnight, the cold liquid will set the 1st caot of wax even better / harder

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone,

My girlfriend already thinks I am obsessive compulsive, putting car products in the fridge might not go down too well, but what the hell, whats the worst she can do?

Well actually she could probably pour it down the sink[:'(]

In terms of more photos, the car is allready filthy[8o|], so it will have to be better planned with the second coat of spit and shine,

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
May have to give this a go, so you just wax, QD on top, then another coat of wax on top of that, and wipe off ??!! Does it work with any wax?, i'm using Poorboys at the moment.

If you want to just apply multiple coats of wax, do you need to do it one after the other (wiping off each one) or apply one coat, and then apply another coat directly on top, then wipe off?

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
May have to give this a go, so you just wax, QD on top, then another coat of wax on top of that, and wipe off ??!! Does it work with any wax?, i'm using Poorboys at the moment.

If you want to just apply multiple coats of wax, do you need to do it one after the other (wiping off each one) or apply one coat, and then apply another coat directly on top, then wipe off?
You can only do it with Solid waxes, like Nattys Blue

This is taken from DW

Its a method used to apply two layers of wax simultaneously, which wouldn't normally be possible... basicaly, a wax has solvents in it to make it "soft" and easy to apply to the paintwork, and these solvents remove some of the previous layers of wax applied. If the previous layer of wax was just applied, the solvents would remove all of it so just doing one layer of wax after the other would have no benefit which is why you are advised if planning on layering waxes to leave 24hrs between coats...

Spit shining aims to neutralise the solvents in the second layer of wax allowing a second layer to be put over the first right away without having to wait 24hrs. To so this, apply first layer to a panel and allow to haze. Mist the panel (without removing the residue or haze of the first layer) with a chilled quick detailer spray, ideally a carnauba one like Pinnacle Crystal Mist. Apply the second coat straight over the misted qd (before it dries) and work gently until you get the normal wax haze. Then remove the residue

Posted Image

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v...ogleam/?action=view&current=collinite476s.flv

·
Registered
452 Posts
Looks to me like the guy in the video is using a bit too much wax? Anyone else agree? Since only a tiny thin layer is left on the car he is just wasting it, all that residue is wasted wax, not that it matters too much, i can't ever see me finishing my tin of harly wax, let alone the 476!

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Looks good to me, nice and easy. Im gonna have a go at this method as soon as ive got myself some quality products, I always thought you would need a PC, but i guess thats just for swirl removal and normal polish aplication?

joN

1 - 20 of 21 Posts