Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I still cant manage to get the swirls out?????

I used poorboys shampoo

sonus claybar and poorboys qd

PC with ssr3

PC with ssr2

poorboys shampoo again

Klasse all in one

Klasse sealant glaze

Harley wax

Looks a little shinier, but nothing is touching the scratches and swirls[:'(]

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Registered
347 Posts
do some research in to smart repair. its what i do for a living, and will remove 95% of scratches and all swirl marks (if done properly). might be worth paying someone to come round and do the whole car, will make it look like new again. i charge ?100 to smart repair an average car, but bigger companies will probably charge a fair bit more.

Jamie

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you mean companies like chips-away type of thing?

Do they actually do a decent job AND manage to get rid of all the swirl marks etc?

I went to a car-paint magic type place before, all he offered was a polish with a flat wheel, he did a bit of my bonnet to show me what it was like, and it made no difference!

The thing I was worried about, was the big dirty flat wheel he had, looked about 10yr old, covered in crap, and was just lying on the floor next to the roller shutter! and they are supposed to be the best around where I live[:(]

·
Registered
347 Posts
well its down to the guy that does it tbh. i can polish a car properly with a machine polisher, remove chips and scratches etc, and not leave it covered in swirl marks. its not rocket science! especially if they have had the relevant training. probably best off asking around local car delaers to see who they use and ask them if they do a decent job. if you were more local, id offer to do it for you :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
First and foremost, what speed are you using the polisher on? and with what grade and size pads?....Polishing, cutting, 4" 0r 6.5"? How long were you working a particular area for?

If your using the PC under speed 5 when trying to remove swirls then you don't stand a chance..... If anything you should be working at speed 6 and ideally with the 2.5 using a polishing pad or a light cutting pad, and with the SSR 3 a cutting pad at speed 5 - 6.

If your trying to get round the car in an hour or two and get all the swirls out it's not going to happen no matter what products or pads etc you use.... Patients and a few sessions will start to see results.

Also, while your doing your scratch removal sessions, why go to the trouble of then doing AIO, SG AND Harly Wax....... If you go back to doing some more swirl removing (which it sounds like you will), all that work is coming straight off again....... Spend more time working on the swirls and maybe topping with the Harly, and when your happier, then start bringing the AIO and SG back into the regime.

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
I had exactly the same trouble as you did, I found that using the PC
wouldn't touch swirls. The thing to remember with the PC is that while
its a great at polishing, its not a rotary buffer and doesn't have the
ability to remove some of the deep imperfections that a rotary can.

Also technique is the key to making best of the PC's abilities. I'd
recommend having a look at this site - http://paintcare-n-detailing.com/

Take a look at the videos and the sections on polishing. Very good and it does wonders to see things in action [Y]

Anyway, I've just spent most of the afternoon doing the bonnet on my
Rover. Its now pretty much swirl free but there are some scratches that
simply wouldn't budge. These will need going over with a rotary IMO. I
did cheat somewhat what with the swirls though, and used a glaze to
fill in the marks - as I believe the PC just doesn't have the ability
to remove them.

·
Registered
347 Posts
a rotary polisher will always do a better job than a DA will, but it will also damage the paintwork a lot easier, hence why it isnt recommended for novices (without sounding patronising). when i polish a car professionally the last stage (swirl removal) only takes about an hou rto do the whole car i suppose. then its just the cleaning up at the end.

Jamie

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
a rotary polisher will always do a better job
than a DA will, but it will also damage the paintwork a lot easier,
hence why it isnt recommended for novices (without sounding
patronising). when i polish a car professionally the last stage (swirl
removal) only takes about an hou rto do the whole car i suppose. then
its just the cleaning up at the end.

Jamie
Yup, seen first hand the damage that a rotary can do! They are for the
more experienced user, I only mentioned the rotary due to the fact the
PC isn't the be all end all of polishing - something I certainly
thought it was when I bought it.

Don't get me wrong though, it will do good things if the steps are followed and plenty of time is taken [Y]

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Been reading this with great interest and would also say it is very easy to burn through the your paint.

I've also replied to a similar thread just now and must say I find it quite alarming how machine polishing now seems to be the norm in a lot of peoples cleaning regimes.

Machine polishing should, if you want your paint to last as you can polish it off, should by my reckoning only be carried out about once a year.

I also find it alarming that people will actually unlease themselves on their pride and joys without seemingly knowing what damage can be done. If you can, practice off your car on an old panel even buy one from a breakers to practice on. A second hand panel will cost you 10-30 quid and is far better to mess that up rather than your car...

On the very very rare occasion I get my machine out and use it on the car, I use this kit;

Posted Image

I can't rate the farecla stuff highly enough, it's also a lot cheaper than some of the exotica brews you chaps seem to use.

My advice is, machine polish only when you absolutely have to, only do it if you've practiced on something worth considerably less than your car and wax, wax and wax some more to hide those swirls.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
First and foremost, what speed are you using the polisher on? and with what grade and size pads?....Polishing, cutting, 4" 0r 6.5"? How long were you working a particular area for?

If your using the PC under speed 5 when trying to remove swirls then you don't stand a chance..... If anything you should be working at speed 6 and ideally with the 2.5 using a polishing pad or a light cutting pad, and with the SSR 3 a cutting pad at speed 5 - 6.

If your trying to get round the car in an hour or two and get all the swirls out it's not going to happen no matter what products or pads etc you use.... Patients and a few sessions will start to see results.

Also, while your doing your scratch removal sessions, why go to the trouble of then doing AIO, SG AND Harly Wax....... If you go back to doing some more swirl removing (which it sounds like you will), all that work is coming straight off again....... Spend more time working on the swirls and maybe topping with the Harly, and when your happier, then start bringing the AIO and SG back into the regime.

Cheers.
With the ssr3 I used a 6" cutting pad that I got from work, I also tried it it with th das green pad.

With the ssr2, I used a megs polishing pad.

I spent about 4hrs on the car with the pc with the 2 products. I usually spread the product over the panel with speed 2, then once its covered, use speed 6.

It seems like the porter cables arent all they are cracked up to be. glad I only paid ?80 for mine[;)]

I used the klasse stuff mainly for the fact that I paid you ?40 and its just sitting in a box, so I thought I'd use it!

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I'd try 4' spot pads (white and yellow lake country) with menzerna powergloss and intensive polish, that would hopefully shift it with good pressure.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'd try 4' spot pads (white and yellow lake country) with menzerna powergloss and intensive polish, that would hopefully shift it with good pressure.
Where do you recommend to get those from, is polished bliss any good?

Is the menzerna stuff much better than the ssr stuff?

Its worth a try anyway!

Thanks for the info people[:D]

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'd say your working to large an area if your spreading it over the whole panel before getting down to work....... 1/3rd of a panel at a time at a guess would be more of a managable size before the product breaks down. When I first started doing all the swirl removal on my car I spent roughly four hours per side over two sessions, and a third session taking a couple of hours to do the whole car and just doing any bit's missed etc first time round.

The PC isn't the be-all and end-all of polishing like others have said but, for the 'weekend warrior' it's alot safer than a rotary, it takes alot more time, yet will still do more than polishing by hand. A pro with a rotary will always be the ultimate answer to swirl removing.

Whether you paid me or anyone else for the Klasse products is irrelevent..... All I was trying to say was save yourself some time if your not completely happy rather than do steps that will be irradicated as soon as you start polishing next time. Get the car to a standard your happier with, be it with existing polishing products, or other products you go on to buy, then enjoy the AIO and SG results when the paint is in a condition your happy with..... However, if you chose to use them, fair play, I hope you liked them :).

Good luck.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'll try again next weekend then, and take a bit more time per panel.

The paint is looking patchy and dull in places now anyway as I must have gone down too far with the ssr3, and the white pad that I got from work seems a lot harder than the das ones, might have been too hard.

Going to get some 4" spot pads and first try with the ssr's, then if that fails I'll get some mengerza stuff for the weekend after that!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Try going at the SSR 3 with a softer pad, it may be the hard pad combined with the harsher polish that is making it dull slightly.... Or a quick once over with the SSR 2 and a soft pad (lake Country White for example), will bring the shine back up once you've done your working with the SSR 3.

Good luck :).

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Unless your cars had a bad repaint I wouldn't worry about having gone through the paint, with the little heat a pc can produce on larger pads you'd have to be trying very hard. It'll just be a small bit of marring that can be corrected with a lighter polish.

I have some Menzerna to try soon so i'll let you know how it goes!

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok then, I bought a 3.5" backing plate and 4" orange and white pads of alex, then got some mazerna power gloss and intensive polish. I concentrated mainly on the rear quarter panel, which had major swirl marks, a few 12" scratches, and the dulling that I did last week!

I spent about 2 hrs on the panel, did a few passes with the pad, and a few compoiund applications (4" pads seem a lot harder to work with)

the end result was that I got rid of the scratches, the dulling, and the swirl marks are hardly noticeable, really small and fine now, a vast improvement[:D]

I tried a different panel, but by this time the orange pad was caked with the compound, and I didnt seem to be getting any results, so looks like 1 panel at a time after the pad has been washed.

I recommend anyone that has had the same problems as me with a pc to invest in smaller pads, and some mazerna stuff. Might try the ssr's that I have next time, just had to give the new stuff a go!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts